Your favorite string brand and why.

In the past I used GHS and DR strings. But went with Daddarios and after trying them, I wonder why I didn't do it earlier. So much better. 6 months ago i needed new strings and a guy sold 10 packs of dunlop cheap becasuse he had ordered wrong string gauge for him. Perfect so I purchased them. I hated them! I changed them so often so I could get back to Daddarios as soon as possible.

I tried GHS strings in the past and they felt cheap. That's the best way I can describe it. I tried DR strings when they first came because the whole "Handmade" thing caught my attention. Didn't really notice any improvement and the price didn't justify sticking with them.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
On a similar topic, do you guys use string cleaners/lubricant? I have never used that, but though I'd give it a try. I had to order strings from Just Strings, so I decided to add a d'Addario string cleaner/lubricant to my order, just to see.

On a similar topic, do you guys use string cleaners/lubricant? I have never used that, but though I'd give it a try. I had to order strings from Just Strings, so I decided to add a d'Addario string cleaner/lubricant to my order, just to see.
I like using the GHS Fast-Fret. It cleans and lubricates.

I used to use fast-fret before shows, but dust likes to stick to it if you don't clean it off when you're done...works good for speed though. I play "dry" these days thanks to construction calluses -and lubes for me have a tendency to make me over-shoot the fret I'm landing on if I'm not careful. It's a good fretboard conditioner if you use it more like a cleaner and wipe it down well, instead of letting it build up in the fret grooves and collect grime so IME there's a little extra maintenance that comes with it but if you're a speed player it works good

I used to use fast-fret before shows, but dust likes to stick to it if you don't clean it off when you're done...works good for speed though. I play "dry" these days thanks to construction calluses -and lubes for me have a tendency to make me over-shoot the fret I'm landing on if I'm not careful. It's a good fretboard conditioner if you use it more like a cleaner and wipe it down well, instead of letting it build up in the fret grooves and collect grime so IME there's a little extra maintenance that comes with it but if you're a speed player it works good
That's how I use it. Less for lubricant. I always wipe down after using fast-fret.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
Cleartones. Sound good, feel good, and can last several months, which is the most important, because I hate restringing.

I bought a bottle of D'Addario guitar polish in 1995, and I still haven't finished it lol
Breeds instant life to dull/dirty strings, makes them shiny and slippery (it's made of petroleum distillates). But the bottle it's so old now I can't find images of it on google.

I've tried lemon oils from Dunlop and D'Addario, did nothing for the strings (I think those are supposed to moisture the fretboard wood?).
The RESTORE/PROTECT/SHINE combo from Planet Waves I thought is kind of an expensive gimmick (although I don't recall if I tried their string cleaner).

That's how I use it. Less for lubricant. I always wipe down after using fast-fret.

That is definitely how I would use it as well. I don't intend to "lubricate" the strings. I've always played with "normal" strings and that has always been fine.

I was more looking forward to clean them, as I would have hoped it would make the strings last slightly longer.

Reactions: Delitzsch
I was more looking forward to clean them, as I would have hoped it would make the strings last slightly longer.
I have a bottle of that Dunlop 65 string cleaner. You should check that out. It's got a blue label and it works good. I use it after playing.

Kerly.
They're not expensive but last longer than normal ErnirBall and D'addario IMO

And luckily the stock set suit me.
I'm using 10-46 set + seperate 64 on 25.5inch 7string,
and 9.5-44 set + seperate 13 + 60 from 10-60 set on 27inch 7string

although NYXL is available for the same combine set,
but the price make me hesitate because of the frequently changing when recording.

Kerly.
They're not expensive but last longer than normal ErnirBall and D'addario IMO

And luckily the stock set suit me.
I'm using 10-46 set + seperate 64 on 25.5inch 7string,
and 9.5-44 set + seperate 13 + 60 from 10-60 set on 27inch 7string

although NYXL is available for the same combine set,
but the price make me hesitate because of the frequently changing when recording.

I am going to try the NYXL. I'll let you know if they are well worth the price tag. I used to play with GHS Boomers, which I liked, but had to change them very regularly. If I am not recording, and just play whenever I have some free time, I need to replace them at least every 5 to 6 weeks max. If I have a lot of time to practice, I need to change them every 3 to 4 weeks max.

I hope that I'll double those numbers with the NYXL. We'll see.

Last edited: