DEAR TESTAMENT...

I do like it more than DROE and much more than Formation. I think it's a really good album I listen to it more than anything aside from the Death kick I'm still on. I think it falls away on just a few songs between subject matter and it's still a bit chuggy in the riff department. Remember when Testament's rhythm's were pretty progressive and fast? Also on "Centuries" one of the more bad ass songs on the album imo the double bass isn't really there. It's like, finally a straight up fast song and the double bass holds back?!! WTF. And still they need to turn up the damn bass..Sneap I'm looking at you.
But I think they are still better than most everyone else And by no means is this band tapped out. I think they can still come up with something that blows everything away.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I guess I am still more of an old school Testament fan. I really liked the days of Practice What You Preach, New Order etc whether they are the sort of albums that they need to propel them higher I'm not sure but they are still my faves.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
I think of New Order and Practice as two different sounds. I love Practice always have always will but I'm not sure I'd want a return to that...I'm not sure you could have it without cutting Genes leg off. The style of that album wasn't really built for extreme drumming. But all that being said, I liked Alex's playing more back then also his tone and also Chucks overall voice had a quality I like a bit better. Actually I've been trying to describe it for years and failing. But Chuck nailed it when was talking about Brotherhood Of The Snake. I believe he said it was drier. But I would absolutely miss his heavy voice too.

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
I nearly always tend to revert back to the early days of bands when I think of them. It could well have more to do with nostalgic memories than anything else but even though I like new stuff I just seem to listen to the older stuff more.

It’s something that just can’t be helped I suppose, I too harken back to the earlier material.We may not think the production on some of them are what they should have been but like you both have stated between the nostalgia and the tone of them just keeps pulling us back!

I find it funny just how many bands and albums these days are marketed as "old school" or "classic" but don't come close to matching the old stuff.

I know right!It can be very frustrating when trying to give a newer band a chance. I have become very cautious when it comes to this,don’t get me wrong I try to let some time to allow for an album to grow on me but it rarely happens unfortunately!

Reactions: Slammed and redfly
I know right!It can be very frustrating when trying to give a newer band a chance. I have become very cautious when it comes to this,don’t get me wrong I try to let some time to allow for an album to grow on me but it rarely happens unfortunately!

I give plenty of new bands a go and some of them are good, but marketing them as classic, or old school does annoy me when so many fall short. I try to listen to new bands without trying to pigeon hole them it's not always easy because even a lot of the old school bands don't often play old school metal any more but I try.

Bands like Municipal Waste are a prime example. I was first introduced to them as classic old school crossover/thrash, but they aren't. They are ok and some of their stuff is quite good but they aren't old school and never will be.

I give plenty of new bands a go and some of them are good, but marketing them as classic, or old school does annoy me when so many fall short. I try to listen to new bands without trying to pigeon hole them it's not always easy because even a lot of the old school bands don't often play old school metal any more but I try.

Bands like Municipal Waste are a prime example. I was first introduced to them as classic old school crossover/thrash, but they aren't. They are ok and some of their stuff is quite good but they aren't old school and never will be.
Would you say a band like Lich King falls into that trap?

Reactions: Slammed
For me no because I first listened to LK after seeing a link on another site and they weren't labelled as classic or old school. But yes I think normally they would be one of those bands that get called classic, or old school, but really aren't, they just make stupidly fun music. However they did do an album called Super Retro Thrash and copied DRI's cover so maybe they are old school, crossover, retro classic thrash.....okay I think I just ruined the band completely.

Reactions: redfly
Here's another one to add to the list.
Exalter. I was reading about them being "Premier Thrash In a Modern Age" with a description "Exalter plays a solid punch of old school influenced thrash metal from the vein of Sodom, Destruction, early Sepultura, early Kreator, and early Exodus." so I thought I'd give them a listen.

There are definitely elements of all those bands there and the album is quite solid, not entirely sold on the vocals but they aren't a complete put off. However while they are probably closer to old school than pretty much every other band I've heard recently with that label there is still not quite the full old school experience there. I'm going to give them one more listen this morning and if I still like it I'm ordering the album.

I'm still undecided this morning. I have a policy for downloaded or youtube albums, if I don't like it after three listens I delete it, if I like it I buy it. I'm on the fence with Exalter, I think I like it and it's a slow time for albums at the moment so putting in an order is not a bad thing, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take the jump. They've got one more chance to impress me.