Death Magnetic (all of it) leaks

Melisan

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Haven't seen a major album that didn't leak before its release date, and it looks like Metallica is no different. Death Magnetic is on every BitTorrent site out there.

And it's fucking GOOD. Damn. I'm gonna buy a Metallica album for the first time since the 1980s.

Wow. There are parts of Day That Never Comes and All Nightmare Long that really kick ass. At 4:06 of Day That Never Comes, I thought I was listening to the Justice record. Gave me goosebumps. At 5:02, what the hell - is it Kill Em All? Still not sure if the record as a whole will grow on me, hope it does. I haven't seen them live since '94, I refuse to see them playing their old songs on detuned guitars. Damage Inc does it for me. :)

The more I listen to it the more it sounds like a collection of riffs, like they just tried to jam in as many as possible into each song. They almost sound like medleys instead of coherent songs with recurring themes. I thought I saw someone on here say it sounded like the record is "unfinished" - that's a good way of putting it. Rubin made it sound great but writing feels like it's still in demo stage. And what's with all the emo sounding song titles?

December 17 and 18
The Forum

Special Presale Offer!
Metallica Ticket Package Now Available.
Includes: a ticket to the show, a copy of the new Metallica cd "Death Magnetic", and a free download of the show. Shipping included.

Metallica presale package starts:
Wed, Sep 10 at 10am
Metallica presale package ends:
Fri, Sep 12 at 10pm

Public Onsale: Sat, Sep 13 at 10am

I've only heard the title track but at first I was like "WTF what is this kick ass thrash" then the singing started and I thought "No way this is Metallica" and then I heard the line "Death Magnetic" and my jaw dropped.

Didn't know where else to post this...

86747d1220162206-funny-strange-random-pics-0019z7sc-1.jpg

:lol: :kickass:

Better than St. Anger... but I wasn't impressed and have no urge to play it again, which is not the way I used to feel about a Metallica record.

Looks like I'm in the minority... which is ok :). Enjoy it... I'm going back to to my Bon Sao/Lop Sao exercise...

I absolutely despise Metallica. I have promised myself that i would never buy another thing with the name "Metallica" on it for as long as I live. When they put out the Black Album they died and despite what people say I know for a fact they Sold Out. Then obviously every record since the Black Album has been utter garbage.

That being said. I downloaded the new one and I must give them props. There are at least 4 or 5 songs that are really good. There are no really BAD songs on this record. There are a few that remind me too much of the post Justice Era. I am not a fan of "The Day that Never Comes" But many of the songs definitely have the core 'thrash' roots from the classic era. So as much as it kills me to admit, I really like some of the material on this record. It has been a good 15 years since I have been able to say that. All Nightmare Long is by far IMO the best song they have created since 1988.

Some of the material reminds me of a cross between Justice and Kill Em All with the sound of Garage Days. I think they could have had a thicker, crunchier guitar sound, a bit better drum sound. And of course James just doesn't sound the same as he did 15 years ago. But I can't hold that against him. He still sounds 'good enough' on this record.

Hopefully this record is the gateway drug that kicks Metallica back in the ass and reminds them that they were at one time the best thrash band in the biz.

Death Magnetic 8/10
St Anger 2/10
Re Load 2/10
Load 3/10
Black 5/10
Justice 10/10
Light 10/10
Master 10/10
Kill Em All 9/10

Yawn.....the sleeping bear just crawled out of its cave, rubbed the crust off it's eyes and is ready to eat your face, once more.

First off, I hope none of you tinkerbells are reviewing this without cranking the volume. Death Magnetic is done, and I've barely found time to eat and shit between listenings of this album. I managed to get the full thing 6 days before it's release, and I had been chewing up the first 3 released tracks up until then.

First impressions were a bit muddled. I had a hard time finding consistency throughout the songs, as far as overall feel and sound. But as more tracks were released and ultimately I had the whole thing, I've not listened to anything else. Many people online seem to have a growing recommendation towards the CD and I concur I am going through the same phase. I'm unravelling every subtlety I can, hoping to become one with the essence of awesomeness, which Metallica once heralded out every pore.

To Compare with their other albums, I think you'll hear it all. Kill Em All, Ride, Justice, Black take up the forfront while a little bit Master, the loads and even St. Anger and Garage Days drift by in notes sometimes shorter than a midget squirrel. Actually, I'd have to say if this came out ofter justice.....even if 20 years later, it'd be a fairly seamless step. I think everyone will have their fav's, though some tracks do shine brighter than others. My picks so far are "That was just your Life", "Broken, Beat and Scarred", "All Nightmare long". None of the tracks are bad and it's hella easy to find yourself draining your iPod batteries on one segment in one song, rewinding over and over.

Ya just gotta keep listening. It's certainly fills a void I've been craving for years and years. His vocals sound great, though it might take a little time to appreciate them fully. Remember he's older now, but he still sings the angry uncle. I've never been a fan of "pretending". I enjoy the odd metal singings voices, but Hetfield just yells at ya, and still packs enough range to make it music. His emotion on every note is dead on. Kirk sounds like he's a timeless God, visiting us straight from the combined might of their first 4 albums. Lars doesn't have the meticulous placements I lust for, but doesn't fall short of delivering a solid backbone. Same goes for Trujillo...he's there, sometimes hard to discern, but fills the bill.

Also......for those of you who don't use an equalizer to amp your music to your liking and bring out your favourite sounds, maybe you shouldn't be criticising. CD's are meant to sound best in all scenario's. If you're an affectionado, boost it!!!

Just get Death Magnetic. Listen to it. Enhance your ears any *cough cough* way you need to, and rock the hell out. They have only conformed to themselves, as any standard setter should. Is it rock, is it metal? It's Metallica. Real Metallica. All four members working together for one end. Nothing sounds out of place, except maybe a few piano keys on Unforgiven III's intro. As I mentioned, it's reflective of their older stuff, but manages to feel modern. And with most things modern, the test of time fails, but somehow I think this will put smiles and bruises on peoples faces for years to come.

My review might be all over the place, but so has my scanning of the new CD. Playing one track over and over, picking another at random, repeat, rock out, repeat. I just can't get enough. Can't wait to hear another. Maybe with a little justified confidence back in their pockets, we'll see the bar raised higher, yet again. Master! Master!

I know what you mean Keyzer. It's better than St. Anger, but it feels like they are trying to recreate the past in some songs without it actually feeling like its new and inventive material. They rehash certain old riffs, and in doing so you think about that older song instead, and thats what I don't like. Also, for me it's hard to let go of how they brought a megalist of names of people to subpoena a few years back, and that coupled with the loss of Jason.

Why do they even bother anymore. They are gazillionaires. They could just go off and play mello jazz or something. I doubt if Kirk spends his free time playing HM guitar. Interviews have him talking about lots of other styles of music.

WHy don't you ask the same question of Maiden?

I got the same answer: the like what they do.

I'm pretty sure Maiden aren't as rich as Metallica. Didn't the Black/Self-Titled album sell over 20 million copies? while Maiden never had a top 10 album in the US until 2006!

And, of course, Maiden are still capable of writing and performing high quality music, although I'm not too happy with the lyrics for These Colours Don't Run and New Frontier.

I'm pretty sure Maiden aren't as rich as Metallica. Didn't the Black/Self-Titled album sell over 20 million copies? while Maiden never had a top 10 album in the US until 2006!

And, of course, Maiden are still capable of writing and performing high quality music, although I'm not too happy with the lyrics for These Colours Don't Run and New Frontier.

Maiden are rich as fuck. They make a killing on Merchandise and Touring. Record sales really don't mean jack shit. However Maiden is the biggest selling British metal band in history. Every tshirt and concert ticket they sell they make $$$$ on. Tshirts at a Maiden gig are over 40 dollars. It costs them 5 dollars to make a shirt that they sell for $40.00.

They sell out every place they play. They are definitely not hurting for money. Maybe they don't have as much money as Metallica but they have plenty to go around. They did this with no radio play and without changing their music to conform to mainstream america. If you can afford to have a 747 jet that is painted in your bands name you have plenty of $$$ to go around.

None the less the difference is Maiden doesn't give a shit about fame or anything else than playing kick ass original music and putting on the best live shows humanly possible.

Metallica is boring live. They have no stage show and are just boring. Even though I like this new record I still will never support them or purchase anything that gives them more money.

On the other hand I will always purchase anything Maiden puts out and support them until the day they quit

Actually, if Maiden aren't as rich as Metallica it's because of their patriotism. They never became tax exiles like 99% of British bands that become famous. England's tax system is obscene. At the top end, you pay 90% of your income, something I'm sure a certain politician in this country would love to do here.

As a result, everyone who became big became tax exiles and lived 300 days or more outside the country to avoid it. Def Leppard moved to Dublin, Ireland and they had a raging alcoholic band member (Steve Clark). Dumbasses probably got him killed for that. Queen moved to Berlin, etc.

But Maiden never did. They stayed home and paid a damn fortune in taxes for it. On one hand, salute to 'arry and the boys. OTOH, that was dumb.