Death Magnetic (all of it) leaks

Isn't that the Motorhead chord progression at 6:46 of Day That Never Comes?

I'm just glad they're back to standard tuning. I hope this means they play all the old songs in standard tuning. I haven't seen them live since '94 because of this.

The last I heard, Nicko lived in Florida and I think I heard that Dave Lives in Hawaii.

Serious? Wow. News to me. Did they do it recently? Note those are warm climates and the Maiden men aren't youngsters any more. They may have done it to make life easier on themselves than living in Blighty.

I've noticed artists tend to move to new locales later in life but it's for personal reasons, as opposed to tax exile status. Neil Peart is in West LA/Santa Monica because he married an LA girl, not to get away from Canadian taxes.

BTW, my bad on Queen. They moved to Hamburg, not Berlin. That was in the BTM.

Isn't that the Motorhead chord progression at 6:46 of Day That Never Comes?

I'm just glad they're back to standard tuning. I hope this means they play all the old songs in standard tuning. I haven't seen them live since '94 because of this.

'My Apocalypse' has so many Slayer elements. James's vocal phrasing, the riffs, Kirk's air raid siren solo.

This new Metallic album freaks me out because its being played on the "new music cool" station all day long and the DJs who are usually going on and on about Linken Park, and Weezer tickets are now going ballistic about Metallica's new album and tour. This is weird. As I was driving home from work, this new music station that usually plays KROQ music did a countdown of most requested songs and #2 was Day That Never Comes. He then starts saying how awesome the album is and everyone needs to get it. Really freaks me out.

How did Metallica end up side by side with Rock Pop? Even when the black album came out, those hits weren't played on the new music station as far as I remember. Its just weird.

Rick Rubin producing their album? You really think it sounds like the old stuff?

Actually, if Maiden aren't as rich as Metallica it's because of their patriotism. They never became tax exiles like 99% of British bands that become famous. England's tax system is obscene. At the top end, you pay 90% of your income, something I'm sure a certain politician in this country would love to do here.

As a result, everyone who became big became tax exiles and lived 300 days or more outside the country to avoid it. Def Leppard moved to Dublin, Ireland and they had a raging alcoholic band member (Steve Clark). Dumbasses probably got him killed for that. Queen moved to Berlin, etc.

But Maiden never did. They stayed home and paid a damn fortune in taxes for it. On one hand, salute to 'arry and the boys. OTOH, that was dumb.

Tax brackets in the UK are not at 90%

If you earn up to £34,800 you pay 20% income tax
If you earn over £34,800 you pay 40% Income tax
Our sales Tax is called VAT (Calue added tax) and its 17.5% Food and clothing is exempt from this.

As for tax Exile as far as I know it was only Joe elliot that moved to Dublin.
And When Freddie Mercury Died, he was at his Home in London.

Under UK law a person is "tax resident" if that person visits the country for 183 days or more in the tax year or for 91 days or more on average in any four consecutive tax years.

Iron maiden went into tax exile in 1983 prior to recording piece of mind

MY REVIEW
Ok I just listened to the album in its entirety and I have to say, its a good attempt. There are some good songs. The first song, All Nightmare Long and the last song seem the best. But soemthing is definitely missing.

Now there is no reason why they should try and recreate their old sound and not move forward. The Unforgiven 3? I hated the first one, do we really need 3?

I posted this before what is wrong with new Metallica. I feel the answer is 2 fold. One id the time period. The 80s lifestyle and the way society was at that point, more raw, the music came out of that time period. Master of Puppets style metal was a sign of the times that can't be recreated. The other reason is the members of Metallica are now very rich and not young punks anymore. They aren't in the same head space they were in back then. They are now in fancy studios with fancy producers driving Mazeratis and taking kids to soccer practice. They can try all they want to act liek they are just a normal Metalhead you'd encounter walking on the street like Danny, but they aren't anymore.

Some of this album was painful to get through. Cyanide was god awful and I was gritting my teeth the entire time hoping it would end soon.

Iron Maiden doesn't seem to have this problem, since they aren't really testosterone bang your head mindless music in E Minor. They are more progressive rock with a strong Metal Edge.

Master of Puppets and Justice will never be beat. Never! I guess I understand why MEtallica is where they are. They are fighting a time period and luxory living, trying to make music for the young who want to just bang their heads. Its like the show Entourage, there is only so far you can take that show before it becomes what it is now, utterly rediculous. This Metallica album is not rediculous, but they fail to capture what they set out to capture, and it comes across as Inauthentic to me. I know they aren't thrashers anymore. They cant fool me.

If they want to recreate their thrash phase, they need to get the same producer as Puppets, and the guitars need minimal effects, and they got to stop striving for top ten hits.

I will listen to this album as background music for parties.

Tax brackets in the UK are not at 90%

If you earn up to £34,800 you pay 20% income tax
If you earn over £34,800 you pay 40% Income tax
Our sales Tax is called VAT (Calue added tax) and its 17.5% Food and clothing is exempt from this.

As for tax Exile as far as I know it was only Joe elliot that moved to Dublin.
And When Freddie Mercury Died, he was at his Home in London.

Under UK law a person is "tax resident" if that person visits the country for 183 days or more in the tax year or for 91 days or more on average in any four consecutive tax years.

Iron maiden went into tax exile in 1983 prior to recording piece of mind

I stand corrected on everything. Haha. :)

just got my december guitar word with interviews and band history as told by james and kirk. it was interesting to read about their recording process and song creation from album to album. the fact they've gone back to old school formulas, even to the point of james using his old v and c+, is referenced quite honestly, as is their feelings on each previous cd. i didn't get the feeling these guys have their head up their ass, but just that creating music reflects where u are in life - james getting sober and kirk listining to jazz - it's actually very personal when looked at from another perspective. james referred to the growth as becomining craftsmen instead of destructors - very valid i thought. the lost attitude of youth - growing up sucks huh!

Mini Murray you said it brilliantly! I was trying to say just that but I lack the social skills. Very good post!

This new Metallica record is good. Is it as good as their first 4 records? Nope. Is it better than Black, Load, Re-Load, St. Anger? YEP. It is what it is. Its a good record. It's not "A Classic" but its the best record they have done in 20 years. Metallica are one of the few bands that could make a full out Death Metal album and they will still get radio play. For instance they have played the KROQ weenie roast a few times for free just so that KROQ would spin the shit out of their CD.

You can compare old Metallica to thrash bands like Testament, Exodus, Slayer etc. But even though this new one has some thrash elements to it, it still has a mainstream appeal to it. I could never imagine hearing Exodus, Slayer, or Testament on KROQ

BUT YOUR LUCKS RUNS OUTTTTAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Haha Metallica is fucked up man! What is their deal? Suing Fernando Guitars? U2 and Metallica, bunch of Napoleans.

Well, so far on this thread no one has lauded what I consider to be the "head and shoulders above" achievement on the album.

CYANIDE!!!

This is perhaps the best metal song I can recall in the last four or five years. The transitions are fantastic and fit perfectly. James takes his sentiment to the next level up from "Fade to Black". Cool bass line and Lars' fills keep the song moving. Kirk with a solid solo as always. Truly impassioned.

BTW, that dude that prosecuted Ozzy over "Suicide Solution" oughtta take a look at the lyrics on this puppy...Good stuff!:headbang:

I'll be rockin' to it on Dec. 17th at the Forum.

Peace

I thought Cyanide was the worst, but...

Maybe the problem with this album is the production. I like The Day That Never Comes, but its produced like the Chili Peppers. What if this album was produced minimally, and Hammet and Hedfield's guitars didn't have that chorus effect on them, and were true Marshall overdrive? Maybe this album would be better. Its as if they fucked themselves by getting Rick Rubin, who obviously, is all about top 10 hits. I think the problem is the effects and production, not the songs.

By now you've probably heard that Death Magnetic sounds a lot better on Guitar Hero 3 than on CD. If not, read on:

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

I, erm, obtained said tracks last night and the difference is unbelievable. You hear all these subtleties, all these notes that just aren't there in the CD release.

This loudness wars shit has to stop. It ruined the new Testament and Shinedown and Children of Bodom records and it ruined this. If Dark Side of the Moon came out today it would be all scratchy distortion because of this stupidity.

I heard the album is Now been #1 for 3 weeks in a row on billboard. I haven't heard all of it and am in no hurry to. Metallica is dead to me. I've lost complete interest.It's too late for redemption.
When "Load" came out that was at a time Metal was barely breathing. with their fame and success they could have been the saviors of Metal.They could still pack arenas so they could have put out an album like the one they've put out now and toured with some kick ass Metal bands and rejuvinate the scene.Instead the band that used to refuse to conform conformed to fit in with the current climate at the time to be more MTV & radio friendly. They had garbage bands like Limp Biscuit & Kid Rock touring with them.:puke:

After the "Load/ReLoad" fiasco they promised a return to the Heavy with "St. Anger". What killed it for me was that disgraceful MTV Icon special that aired coinciding with the release of "St. Anger". NO ONE and I mean NO ONE from Metallica's past was on that show to celebrate with them. Not Raven,Venom,Mercyful Fate,Anthrax,or Slayer? Not even Motorhead or even Ozzy??Instead we see Lars talking about being honored by their "peers" and we get mother fucking Snoop Dog,Lisa Marie Presley & Avril Lavine??? That was so far removed from Metal and classified them more as a mainstream act completely separated from their roots. It was all about what was good for TV ratings and what was hip & current.Again a Metallica special would have gained huge ratings regardless so why not do it right? So after that I officially declared Metallica "Dead".
What I've heard of the new material sound like they're just going through the motions trying to live up to what they once were.yeah they're touring with Lamb of God and even Machine Head but it's too late for redemption in my book.