Death Metal Singing

Am I the only one who liked the complete Opeth vocal package to start off with. When I first heard Opeth they were actually one of the few bands who were doing the two vocal styles in common - especially relative to today where every other band is doing it, and quite a deal more poorly in most cases - and that separated them even more from a lot of the other death metal bands I was listening too - because for all intense and purposes, death metal at that stage had to have death metal vocals and nothing else, some would say it still does.

So, yeah, I liked the combination from the start.

I loved the growls and really liked the cleans, what I didnt really like back then was the riffs, I though it all sounded like a big mess, I was used to the standard metal-chug.

What bound me to Opeth was the first song I listened,The Drapery Falls, and the ending of the song, transition from heavy to acoustic chord.

Blackwater Park, Track one, The Leper Affinity
was the first thing where I enjoyed the death vocalz aswell as the cleans and thought: OMG, have to listen to that one again and after about 5 times I was hooked.

Same as most who replied here.

Loved the heavy instrumentation, loved the clean singing, and couldn't understand why they would 'ruin' such good music with all that growling. Then, the song Bleak got hold of me, and the rest just opened up like I'd opened a puzzle box or something.

I'd say I love the clean songs and growling songs equally, but when I look at my favourites, they're invariably the heavier ones now.

So yeah, a moment of epiphany may come your way too ...

After all this time listening to them, the ending of Bleak still absolutely blows me away.

Akahn

I tend to love most the songs with a bit of heavy and soft in them. Most Opeth songs are like that though.
Juxtaposing heavy parts with softer parts just make the growling all the more brutal and meaningful.

if you're on a metal forum and you have never heard of growling then you have issues. When i started listening to metal i couldnt stand screaming and now i cant imagine metal without it. then again i was 13 and listening to shite like green day and that but eh it got me playing guitar. haha. LEARN TO LOVE THE GROWL.

p.s. Akerfelt is one of metals best vocalists and musicians ever. END.

^Considering that most probably you have listened to only 5% percent of metal, you sounded pretty convincing