Death Metal Singing

WhiteWater

New Metal Member
Jan 5, 2009
I've listened to a few things by Opeth and I like their music, for the most part. However, I can't stand that weird-throat-shouting thing (is there a word for it?) the singer sometimes does. Is it something you get used to, or is it something I will forever hate?

I've listened to a few things by Opeth and I like their music, for the most part. However, I can't stand that weird-throat-shouting thing (is there a word for it?) the singer sometimes does. Is it something you get used to, or is it something I will forever hate?

It's called growling and you might get used to it or you might not.

Get Damnation, it's pretty much my favorite Opeth album and I like death vocals.
At first I hated screams, but I like them now, so sure I guess you can get used to them.

I got used to them a long time ago, just gotta get over the fact that you don't like the style of vocals to listen to the amazing music, then you start to appreciate the vocals and how they accentuate the rest of the music

You will get used to them if you have an open mind. Just be happy Opeth has some of the best growls compared to other bands. If you're trying to get used to Anders from In Flames for instance, just forget it and focus on the guitar.

The first time I heard Opeth, I thought "good music, shame about vocals". Then I kept listening to them and listening to them. I always appreciated the music and the clean vocals, but not the growls. Then they started to grow on me. Slowly, but carefully. Finally, I really started enjoying them. Now, I love them so much I'd hate to see Opeth without them.

That being said, I still don't like other death metal or bands with growling. Trust me, you'll get used to them, but you gotta give them a chance first.

You will get used to them if you have an open mind. Just be happy Opeth has some of the best growls compared to other bands. If you're trying to get used to Anders from In Flames for instance, just forget it and focus on the guitar.

ololo

Anders on The Jester Race, Whoracle is the master of growling.

On Colony and Clayman he was a great singer!

Reroute to Remain shows some quality singing stamina, though I would agree with you for the later albums however guitarwork in later albums fails to show the quality it used to soo I guess I disagree with you as a whole.

The death growls are more favourable for some people moreso than others. There is a chance that you will never get used to it, to be honest. I have some friends who like the music but can't stand the vocal style, which is perfectly understandable. I don't think most people cotton on to it straight away though. It would be interesting to see how many people got into Opeth coming from the more extreme side (the death metal side), and those who come more from the other (whether it be prog, folk, etc.).

I didn't like growling at first.

So yeah, you can get used to it. Not everybody does.

I didnt like it either to begin with. I ushered myself into Opeth with Watershed at first, preferring Burden and then gradually just ignored the growling and listened to the immense sound coming from everything else. That worked initially.

Then I got into Damnation after someone recommended I listen to that one next. Loved it. Then Deliverance, and at that time I loved Opeth so much I just actually started liking the growling as well.

Gradually worked my way back through the releases, loving each one even more than the last.

Ive recently decided Still Life is my favourite album by them at the moment, and started to get into MAYH. I skipped BWP though, and have just bought a few Vinyls of it so I can get the full effect from it. Next up is Morningrise which I have also just bought, then eventually, Orchid!

Now that Ive completely changed my opinion on growling, I love all Opeth songs. I havent heard a bad song from them, EVER.

I think most people get used to it, then they start really liking it.
I'm personally kinda tired of growls right now, i've squeezed the juice out of it...
But i'm sure it's glow will lit for me one day again.

Like they all said, you will learn to like it. As for me, I at first hated Opeth for their non-growl parts but still found the music really good (except for Nevermore and Opeth I can't stand clean vocals in metal). Mike uses his vocal talents really really good, the right vocals at the right time :headbang:

The first time I heard Opeth, I thought "good music, shame about vocals". Then I kept listening to them and listening to them. I always appreciated the music and the clean vocals, but not the growls. Then they started to grow on me. Slowly, but carefully. Finally, I really started enjoying them. Now, I love them so much I'd hate to see Opeth without them.

That being said, I still don't like other death metal or bands with growling. Trust me, you'll get used to them, but you gotta give them a chance first.

Yeah, same happened to me too. I used to be a proghead and Opeth introduced me to heavier styles of metal. Nowadays I find stuff like Six Feet Under and Torture Killer audible.

When I got into Opeth the growling was new to me. I was already used to the screaming and etc from other heavy metal and death metal just not Opeth's version.

After listening to GR, I loved it. Now I always have all of Opeth playing on random all the time. Gonna see if i can get one of my best friends to listen to Still Life, he might be able to get into that more than some of their harder stuff.