Death Metal song (album) needing engineer to mix…

I should also note that the vocals were printed by the tracking engineer just as you hear them in the reference mix in the first post, so nobody should have trouble "matching" it since they are it. ;)

Here is my mix - let me know what you think. I had a blast mixing this song! It's mix first time on this forum as a member and I just mixed a song tracked in another country - no big deal to you guys but crazy for me!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6346298/Bloodsoaked2.mp3

Not the guitar tone I am looking for and the vocals seem to be mixed different than the reference mix.

I do really like the drums but the cymbals are lacking a bit, did you replace the drums or EQ the supplied ones different?

Peter

Nice thick guitar sound when played alone and like the bass tone but overall a bit muddy. Gets muddy during the faster part around the 2:00 mark. Vocals make the song take on a whole new feel to it, kind of cool but not what I am looking for but still very cool.

First time I have heard this song with some thick sounding guitars and that is sweet.

Threw this together real quick and had a blast mixing it, great song,

probly not guna win any competitions, but hey it was good practice, except i hate the snare/ couldnt get one to fit/ didnt have time,

not mastered either dont have time right now,

enjoy :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9981317/No god.mp3

When it first started playing I thought Bloodsoaked was now a Black Metal band...LOL The bass guitar is cranking and really overpower the guitars.

Very cool to hear all these different mixes for a single song, really insane to hear what people can come up with.

Nice thick guitar sound when played alone and like the bass tone but overall a bit muddy. Gets muddy during the faster part around the 2:00 mark. Vocals make the song take on a whole new feel to it, kind of cool but not what I am looking for but still very cool.

First time I have heard this song with some thick sounding guitars and that is sweet.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do about the muddiness and go back to the original vocals.

Not the guitar tone I am looking for and the vocals seem to be mixed different than the reference mix.

I do really like the drums but the cymbals are lacking a bit, did you replace the drums or EQ the supplied ones different?

Peter

Yeah I added another sample on the kick and snare. I had a feeling that I carved too much out of the overheads - should of went with my gut! Thanks for the input, I think I might make a few tweeks and try again if that is cool?

Thomas

I am at work and will not be home till late tonight to listen to the mixes. I am going to try any find out more info regarding the signal chain for teh DI tracks.

I really appreciate everyones time and effort so far and looking forward to hearing more mixes.

Not sure if it is the guitar/pickups but I still have not really heard a guitar tone close to the references I posted. Maybe some of the new ones do but can't listen till late tonight.

Any questions please ask and thanks again to everyone!!!

Peter

Yeah I added another sample on the kick and snare. I had a feeling that I carved too much out of the overheads - should of went with my gut! Thanks for the input, I think I might make a few tweeks and try again if that is cool?

Thomas

Hell yeah dude, I am in NO rush to find someone to mix the song/album as I will not be recording the album till early 2011. Just trying to find the best person for the job and at the same time give some people some differemt material than they might normally mix.

Peter

also, the DIs sounded great. any further info on the signal chain? that jackson cow seems to be a really sweet guitar...great playing too.

Here is the info:

Straight from my guitar to the Radial Direct box to a Focusrite ISA preamp to the Protools HD interface.

Let me know if that is what you're looking for...

Peter

Did you mix the new Retaliation CD?

I will check this out tonight...

Peter

yep, i'm the lead guitar player, and tracked and mixed the new album. mastered at iguana studios by our forum's own brandy (who did a great job, highly recommended!) :)

thanks for the info btw, yet that's what i was asking for. focusrite isa, hm? seems to be a nice preamp - the isa one is also quite affordable. need to check it out i guess :)

Hey Peter I finally got a chance to mess with the mix today for a bit. the guitars on this are just podfarm, as soon as I get a chance I'm going to reamp with the 5150 III and see how it sounds. the snare is kinda burried in this too. I'll upload a new one after I get a chance to work on it some more.... it's pretty cool hearing the different versions so far
here's my first version
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7195350/BloodSoaked_04.mp3

yep, i'm the lead guitar player, and tracked and mixed the new album. mastered at iguana studios by our forum's own brandy (who did a great job, highly recommended!) :)

thanks for the info btw, yet that's what i was asking for. focusrite isa, hm? seems to be a nice preamp - the isa one is also quite affordable. need to check it out i guess :)

Very cool dude! I like your material, Unique Leader helping you get some decent tours? Going to come to the USA anytime? I will be playing the Death Feast Open Air in Germany next year, maybe we can meet up?

While I have not listened to your mix yet any chance your willing (as well as everyone else that posted a mix), what you did? Reamp using what Head and what cab with what speakers or just plugins and with no reamping and whatnot? I personally find that information interesting as I am sure other will.

Yeah, the studio I tracked in was top notch and seems like everyone is happy with the DI tracks so that is good news.

Going to the Devourment and Cattle Decapitation show tonight (weaseled my way onto the guest list) so it will be wicked late before I can listen to your mix but really looking forward to it.

Hey Peter I finally got a chance to mess with the mix today for a bit. the guitars on this are just podfarm, as soon as I get a chance I'm going to reamp with the 5150 III and see how it sounds. the snare is kinda burried in this too. I'll upload a new one after I get a chance to work on it some more.... it's pretty cool hearing the different versions so far
here's my first version
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7195350/BloodSoaked_04.mp3

I will be checking this out tonight Scott! Would love to hear it reamped with the 5150 III as well...

What did you use for the guitar tone on the new Lividity CD? Love it! Love the whole CD from start to finish, tone, production and Von's vocals came out SICK!!! Von gave me a copy last year and I listened to it for a month straight back and forth to work.

Peter