Death Metal song (album) needing engineer to mix…

Very cool dude! I like your material, Unique Leader helping you get some decent tours? Going to come to the USA anytime? I will be playing the Death Feast Open Air in Germany next year, maybe we can meet up?

While I have not listened to your mix yet any chance your willing (as well as everyone else that posted a mix), what you did? Reamp using what Head and what cab with what speakers or just plugins and with no reamping and whatnot? I personally find that information interesting as I am sure other will.

Yeah, the studio I tracked in was top notch and seems like everyone is happy with the DI tracks so that is good news.

Going to the Devourment and Cattle Decapitation show tonight (weaseled my way onto the guest list) so it will be wicked late before I can listen to your mix but really looking forward to it.

thanks for the kind words!
tours, well nothing USA so far, but there are two tours in the works for spring, gutting europe and god dethroned. will be a busy spring as i'll also be on tour between these two with my other band hehe. surely looking forward to it.
erik is a great guy btw.
we already had a few talks with mike from blast corpse promotion (death feast promoter) and there's a good chance we'll play on DF2011 too. even if not me and my boys will surely be there (just like this year), so we could definitely drink a few beers together ;) looking forward to that!

regarding the mix:

-took most of the drums from your files, added a few samples to kick and snare. i'm considering taking the midi and re-doing the cymbals as especially the hihat doesn't sound too good *imho*
-guitars: tubescreamer -> 5150 rhythm channel -> framus cab with vintage 30s, double miced on two different speakers. very little post processing on the guitar tone, just hp/lp and a few very shallow dips and boosts, 1db-ish. the playing was so tight that i considered ditching the tubescreamer, as the low end was pretty tight anyways. but i liked what it did to the midrange.
-bass: sansamp psa-1, with a touch of DI blended in for low end only.
-tried the ozone 4 demo for mastering this one, and i'm totally sold on it. will order it ASAP. great plug and kudos to the big man for mentioning its greatness in the dimmu borgir thread.

Other band? Erik? Rutan?

Peter

other band(s):

www.myspace.com/derwegeinerfreiheit
black metal band (none of that misanthropic corpse paint sad panda bullshit though), featuring the drummer of heaven shall burn...we're getting a shitload of great gigs, and the album does very well. i'm stoked :)
www.final-breath.de
thrash metal, pretty well known in the german scene. former nuclear blast, latest album on remedy records....new album will be recorded soon, and will likely be released on another (bigger) label....

erik = unique leader ;)

Hey Peter I finally got a chance to mess with the mix today for a bit. the guitars on this are just podfarm, as soon as I get a chance I'm going to reamp with the 5150 III and see how it sounds. the snare is kinda burried in this too. I'll upload a new one after I get a chance to work on it some more.... it's pretty cool hearing the different versions so far
here's my first version
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7195350/BloodSoaked_04.mp3

Nice mix dude for sure. As you said the snare is a bit buried, I would love a snare with some "snap" to it. Guitars are closer to what I am looking for but would love to hear what you can do with the reamped?

Peter

here's my version of it - very cool song btw!

also, the DIs sounded great. any further info on the signal chain? that jackson cow seems to be a really sweet guitar...great playing too.

link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/Andy Sneap Forum Files/Bloodsoaked_Fragle Mix 1.mp3

So far I think I am diggin this one the most! As you stated in one or your post you might re-do the drums and I would love to hear this with different drums.

Still not the guitar tone I am looking for but getting close and the mix sounds thick and full while not being muddy...

Maybe too much reverb or echo on the vocals?

Let me know if you make any changes dude...

Peter

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/875894/Bloodsoaked - No God.mp3

Cool track man. Nice job on all the playing and the vocal performance.

For drums I just used the MIDI file and some samples. Guitars were FF800>Radial X-Amp>Maxon OD808>Mesa Triple Rectifier>Mesa Standard Cab>SM57. Bass was the same setup as the guitars blended with the DI.

Drums are too loud and the guitars are way off from any of the references I posted and that hi-hat is killing me...LOL

Peter

Hey Peter,

After a bunch of tweaking here is my next mix. Let me know if it is any closer to what you are looking for

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6346298/Bloodsoaked7.mp3

Thanks for this opportunity to mix your tune!

Thomas

Liking this mix more than the last for sure. I will need a bit more time to listen to all the mixes I have an give better feedback, but in general I am looking for a guitar tone that is CRUSHING and a mix that is not muddy.

Peter

Just wanted to write a general message to thanks everyone for trying some mixes and please keep them coming. At this time I am liking Fragle's mix the most as it as come the closest to the guitar tone I am looking for while still remaining a clean and un-muddy mix.

I still have not heard a guitar tone that gives me that punch in the chest that the Fleshrot or Pathology references I posted does or overall production value.

Also, I am by no means an engineer so giving specific feedback can be a bit tough but I will continue to do my best.

Oh yeah, if you can all post the mixes and info in this thread that would be great instead of sending them thru PM. Mainly so others can listen and others can see what your are doing and keep it all in one place. if it is a personal question or comment please send it via PM.

Thank you all so much!!!

Peter

other band(s):

www.myspace.com/derwegeinerfreiheit
black metal band (none of that misanthropic corpse paint sad panda bullshit though), featuring the drummer of heaven shall burn...we're getting a shitload of great gigs, and the album does very well. i'm stoked :)
www.final-breath.de
thrash metal, pretty well known in the german scene. former nuclear blast, latest album on remedy records....new album will be recorded soon, and will likely be released on another (bigger) label....

erik = unique leader ;)

LOL...I should have know what Erik you were talking about and he totally slipped my mind.

Very cool bands dude, looks like you are keeping busy for sure. Any other bands your mixing for coming up or have done in the past?

Peter

thanks for the kind words!
tours, well nothing USA so far, but there are two tours in the works for spring, gutting europe and god dethroned. will be a busy spring as i'll also be on tour between these two with my other band hehe. surely looking forward to it.
erik is a great guy btw.
we already had a few talks with mike from blast corpse promotion (death feast promoter) and there's a good chance we'll play on DF2011 too. even if not me and my boys will surely be there (just like this year), so we could definitely drink a few beers together ;) looking forward to that!

regarding the mix:

-took most of the drums from your files, added a few samples to kick and snare. i'm considering taking the midi and re-doing the cymbals as especially the hihat doesn't sound too good *imho*
-guitars: tubescreamer -> 5150 rhythm channel -> framus cab with vintage 30s, double miced on two different speakers. very little post processing on the guitar tone, just hp/lp and a few very shallow dips and boosts, 1db-ish. the playing was so tight that i considered ditching the tubescreamer, as the low end was pretty tight anyways. but i liked what it did to the midrange.
-bass: sansamp psa-1, with a touch of DI blended in for low end only.
-tried the ozone 4 demo for mastering this one, and i'm totally sold on it. will order it ASAP. great plug and kudos to the big man for mentioning its greatness in the dimmu borgir thread.

Lots of good info in there for sure dude, thank you very much. Let me know if you take the midi files and see what you come up with?

Hope we are playing together at the DFOA in 2011, that would be killer!

Peter