Death Metal Starter Kit

the key to this thread, obviously, is not to get too much at once. death metal usually takes a bit to kick in so it's good to start slowly. but done right, it can be one of the best genres in metal.

the key to this thread, obviously, is not to get too much at once. death metal usually takes a bit to kick in so it's good to start slowly. but done right, it can be one of the best genres in metal.
I think it is best to start with the better known bands like Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse, and checking out the lesser known bands after you get a better idea of what sub-genres you appreciate more. But I have been listening to death metal almost non-stop for about 5 years now after rediscovering my old Deicide cd.
Also, no need to ease into death metal by starting with melo-death. I think even people that are just getting into death metal can appreciate something heavy like Suffocation's Effigy.

I put a list on Amazon that is directed at those just getting into the genre.
http://www.amazon.com/Excellent-death-metal-Part-1/lm/RO8W4N0GVD7PO/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_3

Not entirely death metal, more thrash bordering on death but pretty cool nonetheless.

Check out:

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains

Entombed - Clandestine

Unleashed - Shadows In The Deep

Cannibal Corpse - Kill

Kreator - Pleasure To Kill

Chemical Breath - Fatal Exposure

Massacre - From Beyond

Death - Spiritual Healing

Morbid Angel - Covenant

Hope this helps! :)

Ok, wanted to jump in and give an update. While I appreciate the advice to wade in slowly, I have to be honest. I'm listening to Necroticism right now and it's amazing!!! These guys kick ass.

Personally, I think Symphonies of Sickness is a lot better than Necroticism. I understand Necroticism is likely the better recommendation in regards to this thread, but I'm always surprised at how much more love Necroticism generally gets compared to Symphonies.

Symphonies is also a great album, but the songs are much more simple in structure than in Necroticism. Necroticism has by far the more interesting selection of riffs, though I actually prefer the production on Symphonies.

In an ideal world, Necroticism would have a Symphonies production make over.

EDIT: But yeah, Symphonies deserves far more love.

I'm interested in the Demolition Hammer suggestion as well. Which album is better to start with for them? Was listening to some clips and sounds good.

That Ruptured in Purulence is fucking awesome! Now I have to pick that up too. Gonna need to rob a bank...

I'm interested in the Demolition Hammer suggestion as well. Which album is better to start with for them? Was listening to some clips and sounds good.

Necrology has all their full lengths in one package. (the first two are the thrash/death albums)

Symphonies is also a great album, but the songs are much more simple in structure than in Necroticism. Necroticism has by far the more interesting selection of riffs, though I actually prefer the production on Symphonies.

In an ideal world, Necroticism would have a Symphonies production make over.

EDIT: But yeah, Symphonies deserves far more love.

I definitely agree about the production. I prefer the relentless br00tality of Symphonies of Sickness and I love basically everything else about it too.

I'm just surprised that whenever I read a best albums of all-time list regarding death metal or extreme metal I usually see Necroticism near the top, and Symphonies near the bottom (if it even makes it) and generally, I see people praise Necroticism but hardly ever Symphonies.

Cannibal Corpse- The Bleeding
Deicide- Deicide
Death- Leprosy
Morbid Angel- Blessed are the Sick
Behemoth- Demigod