Death of Balance/The Mirror

Ultima Ibanez Overlord

-=The Dude Abides=-
Mar 17, 2002
999 letsby avenue
www.mp3.com
When V came out, there was a lot of hoohaa about The Death of Balance sounding like the time change in Dream Theater's The Mirror. The one that uses (in DT's The Mirror) the guitar playing a static chord riff at a constant rate, and the drums intitially treat the guitar as a pulse firstly as quarter-note triplet, then as 8th notes. Know which parts I mean?

The first time I heard Symphony X was when my bass player played the album V to me. We both freaked out whan we heard The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa, saying it sounds just like the time change in The Mirror, but having now checked out a lot more of Symphony X's earlier material, it sounds, if anything, like the "inspiration" was the other way around. Symphony X have played with that idea in quite a few songs, songs from before DT's Awake was released.

So, now I'm in "the hive" of Sym X fans, what say you?

Well, then it would also be absolutely fatal for someone to mistake Adagio for SX, right? Or saying Adagio ripping off SX.
I know someone who mixes both up when I play both bands, heh!

Resemblances are being so obvious in this genre. Besides, this "Debate" will never end, unfortunately.