Death Spiritual Healing Flanger

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I'm in need of achieving a similar flanger sound to Death's Spiritual Healing on a vocal in a project I'm mixing. It's just a couple seconds after 1:25.

http://youtu.be/R7pWh5HYI44?t=1m25s

I haven't been able to find a Morrisound equipment list to look at the available effects, and the only flanger I know of really is the MXR, which is a UAD plug-in, and I don't have UAD currently.

This flanger sound seems pretty simple/standard, but I haven't gotten anything more than 60% close to it. Granted, I'm working ITB and haven't tried that many Flanger plug-ins. I never use flanger, so maybe I just suck at setting it up properly to get this sound. I actually want to take this flanger sound and make it slightly more extreme (starting higher, and ending lower).

Please recommend ITB flangers and/or other effects that could achieve this sound and how you might set them.

Or if you can give me any more info about the effects on this album, that would be great. There's a few other death metal albums form this era that feature similar flanger-y vocal sounds. Thanks!

I think a lot of that comes from the panning of it. It flicks left and right and back again for each time.. not by much but do it 15L to 15R and that should be good. That and doubling the vocal part I can hear. Not too much flanger if any.. I think it's just the change in pitch between the doubled takes.