DEATH

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
Even though I own all their releases, they never got much play in my player after Human.

Just spinning SYMBOLIC and realized what a brilliant disc it is. Zero Tolerance ... some amazing riffing ... the middle part is fantastic. The production rules on this disc as well. :kickass: :headbang: :worship:

Leprosy still remains my fave though

After 9 years I finally traded away my copy of Symbolic. :kickass:

Individual Thought Patterns is pretty neat though.

I am just glad to have caught them in their golden days ... once with PESTILENCE and once with SACRIFICE (Can) opening :kickass:

Death was the first death metal band I got into, and I feel so lucky for catching 'em live when I had the chance! I enjoy all of their albums, but "Human" is my clear favorite.

So I take it "The Sound of Perseverance" isn't well liked 'round these parts?

Crimson Velvet said:
So I take it "The Sound of Perseverance" isn't well liked 'round these parts?

The Sound of perserverance is a masterpiece.

bbq_bottle_original.jpg

Don't know why, but after HUMAN I lost interest in Death, but then again this was the period in my life when I stopped listening to Metal altogether.
But putting on Symbolic today, its power and beauty just hit me in the face ...

Here is ZERO TOLERANCE for those who have not heard it ... and now listening to it, it feels like the most melodic Death track ever. The flow of the riffing around the 2:20 mark is magical.

A little story about Death ...

Back in the late 80's a man named Borivoj Krgin (who is the guy behind Blabbermouth) used to have a fanzine called Violent Noize. He was a very opinionated fucker, but when he took a band to heart, he really pushed them. He originally got me into Death, as I bought their demo from him. I wish you guys can read some of this guys writing. He pretty much singlehandedly brought Sepultura to the States as well and had numerous verbal and documented fights with the guys from Dark Angel. His current Blabbermouth (right name for this guy :lol: ) site is all snippets of press releases from labels so you get no idea of his writing, but try to seek out some of his stuff.
He was also a head writer for Metal Forces, a long lived UK mag from the 80's - 90's

Zero Tolerance is the first track, right? Whatever the first track was on Symbolic I really liked, the rest never clicked.

Atlas Shrugged said:
What was the dispute with Dark Angel over? If you could recall?

Well, Borivoj like I said was a real opinionated guy. He always told it like it was and he had a real problem with Dark Angel during the Darkness Descends days, calling the record sloppy, etc.
And since he was such a loud voice in the underground, his words went far. I remember when Dark Angel played in Lamours, in NYC, there were pics of him drunk at the DA gig, and Dark Angel claiming he had no credibility in his reviews.

Here is a qoute from Kelley Shaeffer from Atheist about Krgin that is spot on:

"Well we owe him everything, he was the one who got us our deal, and he really was the one who got us out to all the people, and made sure that the world new about ATHEIST, and he was just so influential to what we were doing. And let me tell you he is the only writer I know that does not play music, but has a very real sense of what things are supposed to sound like, I have and will always have a huge respect for that man, he was a fucking visionary!!! And a brilliant writer."

Actually this is what I liked about his style, as he was NOT a musician and I always liked the bands he recommended. He was a super fan of everyone, but if you sucked, he could ruin your career.

I guess this is why I have problems with some reviews around these parts, as they are obviously written from a musicians point of view.

Latter day Death is fucking brilliant, despite what that faggot piece of shit moderator on the GMD forum says. Symbolic is the best but they all have their moments. Chuck was a pure genious.

I love Death, but I prefer their 90's stuff. ITP and SoP are my two favourites. The line up on ITP (Hoglan, DiGiorgio, LaRocque, and Schuldiner) is a "dream team". Andy LaRocque playing technical death metal? Fuck yes, and I love those King Diamond inspired melody breaks.

SoP is just sooth as snakeshit all the way through, even the Priest cover is great.