Define "expensive"

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Whoa, just noticed its been 1½ years already since I first bumped into these forums. Didn't see the time fly by so fast.

But on the subject: There is this one thing that has been really bothering me on these forums, because quite often I see this triumphcard pulled up that usually ends the conversation: "I can't buy it, because it is too expensive". And then we are usually talking about something like a ~50 dollar software like say Reaper or ApTrigga and the guy in the other end is mixing a bands full lenght album in atleast semi-professional level homestudio. FUCK! Even if you are in the fucking elementary school you can scour up 50 bucks pretty easily if you really need something.

I can understand that some situations in life like unemployment or college (like the situation I am in now myself) really biases your definitions, because in those situations when you really are broke, everything seems too expensive, even food. Before I bought my Genelecs I literally lived for few months mainly on rice, macaroni, veggiefood, soya, tuna, milk, bread and pesto because they are like 0.50-2€ per meal and pretty much covers all your needs without getting an aenemia. But I did lose like 5kg weight during that time which I actually think was kinda good thing considering that I weight ~120kg and my ideal weight is somewhere near 80.

But what is your general specification for "expensive" when talking about gear? And I am not talking about "getting ripped off" or "overpriced", but "expensive". I know this is highly subjective, because for example Waves Mercury bundle is $8300 for native and $13500 for TDM, which may seem like really expensive, but you do get 90 plugins for that price, which makes the average price for a plugin ~$92/$150, but for example when you buy just the L3-16 multiband compressor (which is included in the Mercury bundle), it is $900 for native and $1500 for TDM.

But if I would have to say what I would consider expensive, I would say $2000-3000 for big hardware (like mixers, amps, drumset), $700-1500 for medium sized hardware (guitars, interfaces, rack stuff, expensive mics), and $300-500 for software and small hardware (pedals, cheaper mics etc). I would really have to justify the reasons really hard after those price if I would get them, but until that price range I think I don't feel a sting in my heart.

Tbh ''expensive'' is based upon each one of us needs.I mean, im a total noob in recording.So every one of the rec shit is expencive for me cause i have no use for them.Except monitors that is.Im saying that in my standards,if i wont reach a certain level,i wouldnt spent a lot of cash in that stuff.BUT for my tone in which im really interested, i would spend a fuck load within limits that is.I quite see gear as an investment.I mean im trying within reason to get something really good, that i wont have to change afterwards(or at least in a small amount of time).For example.When i went to a search for a tubescreamer, i went to the stores and tried ibanez,mi audio,mxr, and a hole lot of others.Dont get me wrong here,i tried some good pedals.But based on Andys shootout and a friend of mine purchase i decided to go for the OD820 even if its one of the most expensive ODs cause i have exactly what i want for my likings.
What im saying is, if you dig something a lot just go for it.But that is just me.

Anyone else?

This topic is making me think that there is a fast food restaurant selling hamburgers that had this very special day yesterday, they gave one free burger to everyone who entered the place. And guess what! All the restaurants were fully crowded! But was it crowded by people who cannot pay 3$ for a cheeseburger? I think not. Is 3$ too expensive? Bah it's the price. But 3$? How can saving 3$ be so sexy to people? So imagine if we're talking about 8300$ aka a trip to China... China! :p

Anything I can't afford..
Which happens to be most things. D:
I think I may well try and get a job though this summer
All my income will be dissapearing even quicker with the amount of drugs I am planning on doing this summer, so I could do with some extra moneyz to lighten the load.

To me, the definition of expensive is getting less for your money than the price suggests, not necessarily the price itself. Simply put, you feel that you don't get your money's worth. With that in mind, even something with a very high price can still feel inexpensive, because it's worth every penny.

If something is "expensive" for somebody depends on the usage of that "expensive" thing. If somebody records stuff just for the fun of it, $300 for an MBOX with Pro Tools LE might be very expensive. Somebody who runs a studio for a living and records bands every day, a Pro Tools HD rig for $10000+ might not be expensive, because he get's the return of investment pretty easily. Same goes with guitars, mics, pres, plugins, ....
For me, the decision if a product is expensive or cheap has not very much to do with the product itself but with the buyer/product-relationship. The TDM vs RTAS-pricing is a good example where this applies. Both versions should sound exactly the same, you might even run more instances of the RTAS version but the TDM is more expensive than the RTAS version. Why does nobody start a revolution? Because the TDM-buyers probably run a studio and every customer expects them to have a PT HD rig with TDM plugins around. They do not complain, because the get their return of investment pretty soon. So they might not find a $700 compressor-plugin very expensive.

Anything I can't afford..
Which happens to be most things. D:
I think I may well try and get a job though this summer
All my income will be dissapearing even quicker with the amount of drugs I am planning on doing this summer, so I could do with some extra moneyz to lighten the load.

I don't get this kind of shit.

How do you have ANY money at all now if you don't have a job?
That doesn't make sense to me.

Someone clue me in.

# high in price or charging high prices; "expensive clothes"; "an expensive shop"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# In economics, business, and accounting, a cost is the value of money that has been used up to produce something, and hence is not available for use anymore. In business, the cost may be one of acquisition, in which case the amount of money expended to acquire it is counted as cost. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expensive

# having a high price, cost
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/expensive

# expensiveness - the quality of being high-priced

# expensiveness - The state of being expensive; expense
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/expensiveness

# costing a lot of money, as in: A large front lawn can be expensive when you add up the water bills, fertilizer bills, and energy consumed in mowing it regularly.
www.business-words.com/dictionary/E.html

# expensiveness - The Parliament of Italy is considered one of the worlds most expensive governments.
www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Parliament-of-Italy

on that note:

Definities van expense op het internet in het Engels:

* amounts paid for goods and services that may be currently tax deductible (as opposed to capital expenditures)
* a detriment or sacrifice; "at the expense of"
* reduce the estimated value of something; "For tax purposes you can write off the laser printer"
* money spent to perform work and usually reimbursed by an employer; "he kept a careful record of his expenses at the meeting"

* In common usage, an expense or expenditure is an outflow of money to another person or group to pay for an item or service, or for a category of costs. For a tenant, rent is an expense. For students or parents, tuition is an expense. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expense

* A spending or consuming; disbursement; expenditure; That which is expended, laid out, or consumed; cost; outlay; charge; -- sometimes with the notion of loss or damage to those on whom the expense falls; as, the expenses of war; an expense of time; Courting popularity at his party's expense. ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/expense

* Total value of all of the resources consumed in producing goods and services or the loss of future economic benefits in the form of reductions in assets or increases in liabilities of an entity.
www.budget.gov.au/2007-08/pbs/html/glossary.htm

* expenses - Outflows or other using up of assets or incurrences of liabilities (or a combination of both) from delivering or producing goods, rendering services or carrying out other activities that constitute the entity's ongoing major or central operations.
www.co.washoe.nv.us/file_push.php

* expenses - the cost of assets consumed or services used in the process of earning revenue
www.new-ism.org/memonly/findictionary.doc

* an expenditure which is chargeable against revenue during an accounting period. An expense results in the reduction of an asset. ...
www.tpderet.com/key_accounting.cfm

* The cost associated with running a business. Expense is an account type in MYOB It usually carries a debit balance.
jcbookkeeping.com.au/terminologydetails.html

* The general costs of overhead and administration associated with running a business.
www.autoshopowner.com/glossary.html

* expenses - All normal out-of-pocket business costs incurred while the speaker travels to and from client events. These normally include airfare, taxi-fare, car rental costs, lodging, gratuities, special phone calls having to do with the event, meals, and last-minute presentational materials. ...bukkake, anal lube, scotum hair fetish and above all else cannibal chocolate incest.
www.aeispeakers.com/definitions.php

* means expenses incurred in respect of travel and accommodation wholly and necessarily for the purposes of the Agreement.
www.lme.com/store-terms.asp

* expenses - Costs paid out in connection with booking of cargo and arranging transport (eg commission).
www.shipping.francoudi.com/main/main.asp