Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Aug 14, 2008
Have you guys heard it yet? Diamond Eyes was one of my favorite albums of 2010. I haven't heard the new one in full yet, but I'm about to. Here's a track off of it:

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider myself open-minded when it comes to all sorts of metal. However, this thread can die a horrible death from neglect and I would not shed a tear. :)

Glenn's dopey ( :) ) reaction aside.....I've only had a couple of listens to this so far, but initial reactions are that it's a really stellar disc. It seems a bit more subdued (well, that's a relative term when talking about the Deftones) than Angel Eyes, which works for me. "Tempest" is an incredible song (Glenn, go listen to it....then feel free to come back with a snarky comment!).

To me, the Deftones are awful.

*Bump* was the sound of my head hitting the desk when I read "Deftones" and the implication they were good. :lol:

To me, the Deftones are awful.

*Bump* was the sound of my head hitting the desk when I read "Deftones" and the implication they were good. :lol:

They are a very good live band, but I think any enjoyment I get from their recorded output is just based on nostalgia from when I first heard My Own Summer. They are the definition of irrelevance these days.

I love the deftones and have for many many years. That being said this disc is great. To me the Deftones will essentially never do anything wrong.

Deftones are 90's alternative. Period.
Anyone who even remotely states they are metal are insecure about the fact they like them and are attemtping to justify it.

Bottom line is, "Who cares"? If you like it, like it.
Don't make absurd claims that they are metal (not that anyone here was doing that BTW) to justify it.

Deftones are 90's alternative. Period.
Anyone who even remotely states they are metal are insecure about the fact they like them and are attemtping to justify it.

Bottom line is, "Who cares"? If you like it, like it.
Don't make absurd claims that they are metal (not that anyone here was doing that BTW) to justify it.

I agree that Deftones aren't a metal band, but lumping them in with Third Eye Blind and Oasis just shows that you've never heard a Deftones song.

Unfortunately I have.....
I don't know how YOU could lump OASIS into 90s alternative.
Their sound is a lot more "Classic" than that. They could have come out in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, and released the SAME material.

I don't care what you define the DEFTONES as (and yes, I have heard them, and even seen them live once).
There is absolutely nothing "metal" about them.
Sorry.

Unfortunately I have.....
I don't know how YOU could lump OASIS into 90s alternative.
Their sound is a lot more "Classic" than that. They could have come out in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, and released the SAME material.

I don't care what you define the DEFTONES as (and yes, I have heard them, and even seen them live once).
There is absolutely nothing "metal" about them.
Sorry.

Might be shocking, but 'Wonderwall' never really inspired me to buy an Oasis CD!

They are the definition of irrelevance these days.

Says who? They are more relevant now than ever. They basically redefined themselves with Diamond Eyes and re-established alot of credibility with younger people and tastemaking "metal" (although I do agree with Jasonic and you that they are not a metal band but because they are liked and recognized in the metal scene and tour with metal bands like Mastodon, I decided to post here rather than the lounge) blogs and magazines. They also continue to be a top 10 charting band. Say what you want about them, but "irrelevance" is objectively inaccurate.

Must be related to the tastemaking 'hardcore' publications that made We Came as Romans and A Day to Remember the biggest bands in the genre.