Deftones

Fahrenheit

Great Big Mouse
Dec 6, 2005
Ukraine
Hey, don't yell! I know that this is the place where "true" metal heads hanging out, but I still consider that Deftones is something quiet different and special on american rock scene. And I don't think it's just another nu metal band. And, believe it or not, I find it very common to Katatonia. Oh, stop it! I'm not talking about music (by the way Deftones' Minerva is a little bit like Tonight's Music), I think they are common in some emotional background and some mood, may be. I'm great fan of Katatonia for a very long time, and couple monthes ago I accidentaly began listen to Deftones. And now if you ask me to call my two favorite bands, I'll say: Deftones and Katatonia. So if you wish we can just try to discuss Deftones here.

P.S. Daniel is a fan of Deftones.

I like Deftones, they were my favorite band a couple years ago but than I heard Opeth, Tool, and Katatonia.

Opeth and Tool are among my favorite bands, but Deftones became to me like a whole new world I need to explore. And, truly, Deftones is a whole giant world, it has planty of secrets and hidden objects, it is in everything: music, lyrics, background stories, band members. Now I can, without any doubts, say that Deftones is the band with the soul (it is an exception in the US), and there is not too much of them, I mean bands with the soul, I can name a few: Katatonia (of couse), Anathema and... wait, I can't even remember others. I need some time to think...

Never been a huge fan of the Deftones but I would reccomend the white pony album to all Katatonia fans. It's dark, haunting and heavy. Definately their best album.

On another note... just want to brag that I am gong to the Roskilde festival in Denmark this summer. The line up includes opeth, deftones, tool, bob dylan, trivium and a shit load of others. Now I am just waiting for them to announce that Katatonia will be there and im set!

I absolutely love their atmospheric songs. The rest is okay to good, but the atmospheric songs...

For everyone who wants to check them out:
Be Quiet And Drive
Digital Bath
Knife Party
Anniversary Of An Uninteresting Event
Minerva
Change (In The House Of Flies)

Deftones also did a song with maynard from tool, called Passenger, and it is nothing short of amazing

yeah deftones white pony is amazing, the rest of the cds have a couple great songs, and the rest just mediocre songs

As far as the American hardrock/metal scene, the Deftones are definitely one of the highlights. I was never that big of a fan, but I still see the obvious talent and emotion in many of their songs. Too bad they get labeled with that awful "numetal" brand...they are far different.

Okay, so far we've managed to deal with the statement that Deftones are great. Not bad... Yes, there is a lot of atmospheric songs made by them: Minus Blindfold, Fireal, My Own Summer, Be Quiet and Drive, Damone, Digital Bath, Knife Prty, Korea, Change, Pink Maggit, Hexagram, Minerva, Moana. They all got some taste of unknown edges of life, for example, Be Quiet and Drive really make me feel like I'm in the car going don't where just far, and in Hexagram I can feel all this people running the streets and the car bomb... click-click. I can talk on and on so tell me where to stop, right?

Whity Pony - awesome record, may be the best, but I don't like to think about it (it's like Tonight's Decision is the best Katatonia album). It is the great story about night and underworld, the underground life, it got similiar shades with Viva Emptiness, I think. The criminals, whores, drugs that is the main subject of White Pony. Teenager and Passenger is two songs different from the rest of the album; first is the wierdest song in Deftones career and Passenger is a masterpiece of cooperative music-making. Maynard is a vocal genius! The ending title Pink Maggit is an experimental masterpiece and it's younger brother Back to School, may look a little bit nu metal, but still it is a great song.

Though, I think my favorite album is Around the Fur. Waiting for Saturday Night Wrist.

Oh god Digital Bath is a fuckin mind blower!!No Ordinary Love is the best cover I have ever seen and yes Change is a killer and yes Deftones is good...And thank god I will see them on 24th June with KATATONIAAAAAAAAAA!!!This is so exciting,I can't wait!!!

Oh, I forget (hey, just like in Street Carp), I just have listened Be Quiet and Drive with Displaced by Katatonia, and I find them a bit similiar in the scenario. Remember:

This town, don't feel mine
I'm fast to, get away
Far!

I dressed you, in her clothes
So drive me, far...
Away, away, away

It feels good, to know your all mine
Now drive me, Far...
Away, away, away

Far... away
And I don't care where just, Far - away

This BQAD and here is Katatonia:

DO YOU HAVE WATER IN YOUR CAR
I MIGHT GET THIRSTY ALONG THE WAY
ARE YOU SURE IT ISN’T VERY FAR
ARE WE GETTING THERE TODAY
AND IS IT HARD
AND COMPLICATED

YOU DISPLACE ME

DRIVE ME THERE
LET ME SLEEP
WE ARE COMING TO AN END HERE SEE
DRIVE ME THERE
I’M MEANT TO BE DECIEVED
WE ARE COMING TO AN END HERE SEE

Don't you see what I see? They are the same, may be a little different reasons, but they are very similiar. He-he, Mr. Renkse likes Chino Moreno.

Cerulean said:
I'm pleasantly surprised that everyone seems to like em here.
Ususally, on other forums, they get slayed big time...
You are god damn right! I was quiet shocked about such a pleasant welcome of Deftones thread on Katatonia forum. May be they are not that bad after all? I've been waiting for a harsh answers like: "Hey, kid, go back to school and listen to your Linkin Spears or whatever you listen. This a metal forge place! Raghh! Double Raghh! Triple Raghh! And Arghh! Norsk Arisk Black Metal!" or something like that. Well, I've failed, good for me.