Deftones

Deftones were my favourite non 'metal' band for about 5 years, and probably still is.

My friend and I first got into them around 'Andrenaline'. That album was amazing at the time, comlpletely new (metal) sounding. Especially considering the first Korn album came out only the year before. Both bands were basically underground.

'Around the Fur' is also incredible. I think I prefer it to 'Adrenaline'. I was very disappointed with 'White Pony' considering it too 3 whole years to make and it ended up sounding like they spent about a week on it, total. 'Knife Prty', 'Passenger' and 'Change' some of the best songs they've ever made, but apart from that it's rather run of the mill.

I saw them live too in 1998 and it was absolutely amazing. It was in a really small venue in Melbourne and I was blown away. I used to think Chino was a god.

And 'My Own Summer (Shove It)' is still one of the greatest rock songs to this day.

What I forgot to mention was, they started playing that stuff when it just wasn't a profitable thing to be doing. The emotion in the first two albums is really genuine which makes them stand out from today's Linkin Park and Papa Roach.

With the Deftones it was always something special and honest.

I think I may have vaguely been ok with their stuff... before Opeth, haha. Yup, Opeth changed my life haha. I really can't get into anything I was into previously... such as Soulfly and Deftones, so now i've moved on into the more 'metal' realm.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I really can't get into anything I was into previously... such as Soulfly and Deftones, so now i've moved on into the more 'metal' realm.

Tell me about it :rolleyes: I've got so many c.ds sitting around; Deftones, Soulfly, etc, which I was listening to concurrently with metal for a while (my friend and I would play a Korn song, then My Dying Bride, then Hed PE etc...) but now there's no going back....

In a way I miss it because I've got some great teenage memories of old Korn and D-Tones! :cry:

Yeah, it's a shame I suppose, but I'm not really ever going to look back and regret hearing Opeth. It's kind of opened me up to what music 'can be' as to what it 'is' with your average run-of-the-mill bands. Opeth is one of the bands that can just plaster an image into my head and I can 'see' the song, not just hear it, but actually visualize in my mind what's going on.. and that's just awesome :).

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Yeah, it's a shame I suppose, but I'm not really ever going to look back and regret hearing Opeth.

Yeah, of course. I don't regret finding the best music in the world :headbang: By that I mean my favourite bands, not just Opeth, but I'm sure you knew that.

I just see the old nu-metal (!) in a rather nostalgic atmosphere.

Originally posted by Triumphant Apostle
[B. Don't tell me I can't have Opeth as my personal favorite band and still like Hed PE because I do and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all! This would probably be the reason I have over 800 CD's....OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE! [/B]

Where did anyone tell you this?:confused:

I would like to agree with some of the other people that Opeth has made alot of the discs in my collection nothing more then dust collectors.

Opeth was my bridge from mainstream to Underground, basically. But now that I look back at the mainstream stuff I liked before discovering Opeth, I still think its pretty good (Tool, Deftones, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, NIN, Our Lady Peace)

Originally posted by Liquid Tension

Where did anyone tell you this?:confused:

I would like to agree with some of the other people that Opeth has made alot of the discs in my collection nothing more then dust collectors.
Actually no one has directly told me that, however some of the posts on this site(not necessarily this forum, Opeth fans are quite open minded!) lead me to believe that some people are of the assumption that if you listen to Slipknot,for instance,you "couldn't possibly be a REAL metal fan".....In reality I have more than likely been a fan of extreme metal for longer than some of these people have been listening to ANY music! I was just making the point that this is the opinion that I feel they're projecting when they make some of these idiotic posts. I mean if you don't like a band, fine, but you DO NOT have to make the ridiculous statement that " because you like so and so you're not metal" or whatever. That has not actually happened to me, but I've seen it on this site and it seems like some people are posting on this site for the sole purpose of trying to"out underground" each other.... By the way Opeth happens to be my favorite band and I bring at least one of their albums/bootlegs/ or mixes of their songs that I have made every day to work being that they are my favorite extreme metal band!

Deftones were my favorite band for the longest time until Opeth came around :) Listening to them brings back loads of memories... wonderful band. I was a regular at their forum 2 years ago, until it started to suck :cry:. It sucks when forums turn to shit. Only 1 thing pisses me off about the deftones, I didn't make it into the digital bath video :lol: ... had they kept showing that one clip where they showed the venue I saw them at for 1 or 2 seconds longer, I would have made it in. Damn them! :p