Deftones

lmao, Deftones are just in denial and insecure about their shitness and the stigma associated against nu-metal.

You've proven nothing dipshit.

Birkenau said:
lmao, Deftones are just in denial and insecure about their shitness and the stigma associated against nu-metal.

You've proven nothing dipshit.
You are fucking retarded. Holy shit. Wow. I hope a koala attacks you.

I have no idea who the Deftones are... searched in wikipedia and still don't know... ahwell, by the sounds of it they are shite.

And Blimey... never wish the wrath of the koala upon anyone... ever

amaranth said:
I have no idea who the Deftones are... searched in wikipedia and still don't know... ahwell, by the sounds of it they are shite.

And Blimey... never wish the wrath of the koala upon anyone... ever
No!

Even though I already replied, I feel the need to throw in my two cents just because I am a pretty big Deftones fan.

In terms of the nu-metal classification, I do disagree with it. Yes, they have a member who uses turntables...but they are not Linkin' Park turntables, he is really just working with sounds, just like the average keyboard player. He has samples, and keyboards...but never scratches, or anything (at least not in any song I can remember).

Deftones have some sucky songs, which happen to be the most nu-metal (and many of them off their first record). 7 Words, Headup, Nosebleed, Lotion, Back to School (never should have happened). Many people will argue those are their best because you can rock out to them, but I find them the most mediocre, and boy do they piss me off. I consider Deftones simply a great hard rock band. Songs like Birthmark, Fireal, MX, Damone, Hexagram, When Girls Telephone Boys, Lovers, Pink Maggit...etc. I think those are some damn good songs, and well crafted. I mean, listen to Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event or Knife Prty (sic) and tell me those are nu-metal.

Chino is a great singer, although his alcohol/smoking problems have certainly hindered his performance (it used to only be live, but you are starting to notice it in the records, also). But, as for examples of great vocals:

Lhabia (whispers, singing, screaming), When Girls Telephone Boys (screaming), Be Quiet and Drive (far away), Digital Bath, Change (in the house of flies)...

And the band has done some great covers from No Ordinary Love, to Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, to Sinatra, to If Only Tonight We Could Sleep.

I think the band has done a wonderful job evolving since their early beginnings back in 1989.

They have been able to craft a great sound that is open to many different styles in the rock area. I mean, they brought Poison the Well and Denali on the same tour, and I thought it worked great.

Lightbulbsun, Deftones tried to get out of the nu-metal category pretty much right when they were lumped into it. The most recent example is them trying to not do the Summer Sanitarium tour. Both Chino and Frank talked about how much they did not want to do it because they were trying to get out of doing packaged tours and shit like that. The band still plays small venues as often as they can, finding it far more intimate than the larger ones. Chino has talked about how sick he is of Korn's music on several occassions, saying "As Korn go on, it's the same things - bad childhoods and mean moms. It gets old after awhile. How old is Jonathan? Thirty years old? How long has it been since he lived with his parents? Try to go somewhere else. If you're genuine and write about whatever is drawing the emotion now, you can't be fucked with."

Chino certainly writes some interesting lyrics...they are not always that great, but they are far more interesting than the standard lyrics you find in rock acts these days.

He can be a dick sometimes, but he also takes care of the crowd. If someone falls down, he makes sure the crowd picks up that person.

But whatever, you like what you like. No one can convince me of Deftones being nu-metal (unless talking about the first album, which was pretty damn close). Down-tuned guitars mean nothing (come on, how many bands play down-tuned guitars?), I already talked about the Frank (turntables). The songs are very guitar driven, Chino can go from a whisper to one hell of a fucking shriek (listen to When Girls Telephone Boys around the 2:16 mark), White Pony totally put the nu-metal name in the ground (except when the record company made them do Back to School, tha band says that was a fluke, the album was not made with that song, the entire group hates it).

Sorry to anyone who read that.

winters epilogue said:
Even though I already replied, I feel the need to throw in my two cents just because I am a pretty big Deftones fan.

In terms of the nu-metal classification, I do disagree with it. Yes, they have a member who uses turntables...but they are not Linkin' Park turntables, he is really just working with sounds, just like the average keyboard player. He has samples, and keyboards...but never scratches, or anything (at least not in any song I can remember).

Deftones have some sucky songs, which happen to be the most nu-metal (and many of them off their first record). 7 Words, Headup, Nosebleed, Lotion, Back to School (never should have happened). Many people will argue those are their best because you can rock out to them, but I find them the most mediocre, and boy do they piss me off. I consider Deftones simply a great hard rock band. Songs like Birthmark, Fireal, MX, Damone, Hexagram, When Girls Telephone Boys, Lovers, Pink Maggit...etc. I think those are some damn good songs, and well crafted. I mean, listen to Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event or Knife Prty (sic) and tell me those are nu-metal.

Chino is a great singer, although his alcohol/smoking problems have certainly hindered his performance (it used to only be live, but you are starting to notice it in the records, also). But, as for examples of great vocals:

Lhabia (whispers, singing, screaming), When Girls Telephone Boys (screaming), Be Quiet and Drive (far away), Digital Bath, Change (in the house of flies)...

And the band has done some great covers from No Ordinary Love, to Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, to Sinatra, to If Only Tonight We Could Sleep.

I think the band has done a wonderful job evolving since their early beginnings back in 1989.

They have been able to craft a great sound that is open to many different styles in the rock area. I mean, they brought Poison the Well and Denali on the same tour, and I thought it worked great.

Lightbulbsun, Deftones tried to get out of the nu-metal category pretty much right when they were lumped into it. The most recent example is them trying to not do the Summer Sanitarium tour. Both Chino and Frank talked about how much they did not want to do it because they were trying to get out of doing packaged tours and shit like that. The band still plays small venues as often as they can, finding it far more intimate than the larger ones. Chino has talked about how sick he is of Korn's music on several occassions, saying "As Korn go on, it's the same things - bad childhoods and mean moms. It gets old after awhile. How old is Jonathan? Thirty years old? How long has it been since he lived with his parents? Try to go somewhere else. If you're genuine and write about whatever is drawing the emotion now, you can't be fucked with."

Chino certainly writes some interesting lyrics...they are not always that great, but they are far more interesting than the standard lyrics you find in rock acts these days.

He can be a dick sometimes, but he also takes care of the crowd. If someone falls down, he makes sure the crowd picks up that person.

But whatever, you like what you like. No one can convince me of Deftones being nu-metal (unless talking about the first album, which was pretty damn close). Down-tuned guitars mean nothing (come on, how many bands play down-tuned guitars?), I already talked about the Frank (turntables). The songs are very guitar driven, Chino can go from a whisper to one hell of a fucking shriek (listen to When Girls Telephone Boys around the 2:16 mark), White Pony totally put the nu-metal name in the ground (except when the record company made them do Back to School, tha band says that was a fluke, the album was not made with that song, the entire group hates it).

Owned.

winters epilogue said:
Chino has talked about how sick he is of Korn's music on several occassions, saying "As Korn go on, it's the same things - bad childhoods and mean moms. It gets old after awhile. How old is Jonathan? Thirty years old? How long has it been since he lived with his parents? Try to go somewhere else. If you're genuine and write about whatever is drawing the emotion now, you can't be fucked with."
Yeah, and if I remember right he took back that comment like a little bitch because he knows he was wrong and Korn pwns his band. Jonathan hasn't recorded a song about "bad childhoods and mean moms" since 1998. I also know Korn has played at least one show with Deftones since then, and Chino sang Wicked on stage with Jonathan and the rest of Korn.

FRUGiHOYi said:
Yeah, and if I remember right he took back that comment like a little bitch because he knows he was wrong and Korn pwns his band. Jonathan hasn't recorded a song about "bad childhoods and mean moms" since 1998. I also know Korn has played at least one show with Deftones since then, and Chino sang Wicked on stage with Jonathan and the rest of Korn.
Korn sucks balls. Seriously.

why in the fuck is it even an issue if the deftones are nu-metal? who gives a fuck what genre they are? its quite pathetic when one who hasn't even heard the music can call them shite because someone labels them nu-metal and reveals the fact that they have a turn-table...some people are so stuck on listening to "troo" underground music, that they have already decided to hate and make fun of a lot of music that is out there.

FRUGiHOYi said:

He said he was pissed off, but he did not retract what he said about their music. But yeah, they played one show together in Mexico with Ministry and two other bands I think.

Korn does not pwn the Deftones, though. I loved Korn in middle school (god, who didn't), but even then I recognized that even though Korn meant more to me, Deftones was (and still is) the better band. Korn has repeated themselves far more than Deftones have.

Even though Jon does not talk about the whole situation from Daddy in other songs, his lyrics are still some of the worst in the world. He just repeats the same lines over and over (you cannot deny this).

Fieldy's bass playing is a joke. His slap style gets very old, very fast. David Silveria plays tight drums, but they are nothing spectacular. Head and Munky used play basically the same thing in every song (yes, I know Head left), and the guitar parts are quite boring.

Jon's vocals can get so annoying. Once listen to "Am I Going Crazy?", "Thoughtless", or the verses in "Counting On Me"...simply torture.

winters epilogue said:

Probably the most constructive post I've seen thus far, but they are still nu-metal.

JoeVice said:
why in the fuck is it even an issue if the deftones are nu-metal? who gives a fuck what genre they are? its quite pathetic when one who hasn't even heard the music can call them shite because someone labels them nu-metal and reveals the fact that they have a turn-table...some people are so stuck on listening to "troo" underground music, that they have already decided to hate and make fun of a lot of music that is out there.
I've heard all of the Deftones album, I was a fan of White Pony a couple of years ago, realised they sucked, moved on.

winters epilogue said:
He said he was pissed off, but he did not retract what he said about their music. But yeah, they played one show together in Mexico with Ministry and two other bands I think.

Korn does not pwn the Deftones, though. I loved Korn in middle school (god, who didn't), but even then I recognized that even though Korn meant more to me, Deftones was (and still is) the better band. Korn has repeated themselves far more than Deftones have.

Even though Jon does not talk about the whole situation from Daddy in other songs, his lyrics are still some of the worst in the world. He just repeats the same lines over and over (you cannot deny this).

Fieldy's bass playing is a joke. His slap style gets very old, very fast. David Silveria plays tight drums, but they are nothing spectacular. Head and Munky used play basically the same thing in every song (yes, I know Head left), and the guitar parts are quite boring.

Jon's vocals can get so annoying. Once listen to "Am I Going Crazy?", "Thoughtless", or the verses in "Counting On Me"...simply torture.
Well, it seems like everything you just stated is a matter of opinion. And I disagree to the fullest extent of disagreeability, if that's even a word!!!

FRUGiHOYi said:
Well, it seems like everything you just stated is a matter of opinion. And I disagree to the fullest extent of disagreeability, if that's even a word!!!

Yeah, it is. That was not really part of my initial Deftones argument, that is just my opinion on Korn as a band. And seriously, no disrespect to you for liking them - fucking enjoy the hell out of them.

Even still...

Deftones>Korn :D

winters epilogue said:
Yeah, it is. That was not really part of my initial Deftones argument, that is just my opinion on Korn as a band. And seriously, no disrespect to you for liking them - fucking enjoy the hell out of them.

Even still...

Deftones>Korn :D
Hey I can enjoy some Deftones too, I just think they are way overrated. But keep doing whatever keeps your boat afloat and I'll keep doing whatever keeps mine from sinking.

Birkenau said:
Probably the most constructive post I've seen thus far, but they are still nu-metal.

I've heard all of the Deftones album, I was a fan of White Pony a couple of years ago, realised they sucked, moved on.

I love how you state your horrible opinion, and never back it up with evidence. You are a fucktard.