Deftones

mindflesh

Rainbow Satan Overflow
Nov 19, 2001
Austria
members.aon.at
What do you think of the Deftones? I recently got White Pony and I was impressed. If this is still Nu-Metal it has to be the best Nu-Metal there is...

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
I like them...good vocals and good songwriting.
"My own summer show it" must be one of the most adrenalin pumping songs ever :)

Ummm...not to be an ass but it's shove it. Is it just me or isn't nu-metal that rap rock stuff? I don't consider the Deftones nu-metal.

I hate calling them rap rock, ecspecialy anymore. Their rap influence is barely barely heard. "White Pony" is an amazing album, ecspecially tracks "Digital Bath" and "Passanger" with Maynard James Keenan.

"nu-metal" or not, I love the tones.

I like them a lot, been with my eyes on them since Adrenaline. I saw them live too. I don´t consider them nu-metal, that crappy music style came after and it has nothing to do with them, IMO.

Yeah I got that cd a couple years ago, a while before I got into Opeth. It's pretty strong, especially Knife Prty and Change (in the house of flies). I'll probably get their next one too, whenever it comes out.

I used to like them a bit...I didn't find White Pony too good, other than a few songs (Digital Bath, Passenger). Also, based on seeing them live, it seems like the lead singer's voice is dying.

I like the deftones a lot yeah, but then I do like some nu-metal.
White Pony's a real good album.. i love change. Oh and nu-metal's not just rap rock, it just evolved to encompass a lot of hip hop elements. Korn are nu-metal but they dont really have any rap influence.

ps the full title for that song mentioned above is "My own summer (shove it)".

eh, I consider them nu metal. I mean listen to songs like "Elite" and ...eh, cant remember any but there's a lot of rapping on Around the fur. I like em though, nu-metal or not. Adrenaline favorite. arent they making a "team sleep" side projecvt that is all slow songs like "teenager"? I wonder what happened to that, It was supposed to come out in May last I heard.

I've been listening to ALL types of metal for 16 years now(I'm 26) and I have to say that I really don't mind a couple of the nu-metal bands. To me nu-metal would be categorized as "rap rock" and I normally can't stand it but easily the best in that genre has to be Hed PE. I thought their newest album "Broke" was great! That's just my opinion and I listen to anything from Led Zeppelin to Borknagar. Another one of my opinions is that the following bands should NOT be categorized as nu-metal-Deftones,System Of A Down,Slipknot,Soulfly and I'm sure there are quite a few more that are often referred to as nu-metal and I don't feel they should be. In fact I think people are throwing that term around waaaaaay too much lately.The way I look at it is that if I like the bands songwriting ,or musicianship, or both than I could give two shits what "genre" of metal it happens to be labeled as. Don't tell me I can't have Opeth as my personal favorite band and still like Hed PE because I do and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all! This would probably be the reason I have over 800 CD's....OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!

I dont like them , i heard a few songs off all their albums and sountracks that they have been on.. And i dont like them. Their music does not appeal to me.

I like(d) the Deftones a lot. I don't listen to them anymore, but I used to like them and have nothing against them. They aren't very rap-influenced imo anyway so I can tolerate them. "My Own Summer (Shove It)" used to be my favorite song of any band, and I still like it a lot...excellent video, too. I kinda stopped listening to them once White Pony came out, but I did enjoy what I heard from that album. I really liked "Passenger" of course with Maynard. They are a good band regardless of any label they are given. If they are to be classified as nu-metal, then I say they are one of the best nu-metal bands in existence.

i have an exceptional hate for Chino and The Deftones. I just hate everything about them. But me not liking them is different. As I said it's exceptional, for another reason beyond the music. Maybe it's the vocals. I really don't like Chino's vocals.
I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of ppl here who dig their stuff. I thought the "nu-metal" bands that would be liked around here would be System of a Down, Mudvayne....that's all I can think of. Maybe that's just because I like them.
Although Deftones are catchy, and My Own Summer(Shove it) is their best song and is actually an extremely cool video.
I just don't like the approach on the vocals I guess. I've heard lots and see the vox as this: slow whiney quiet bitching, then lots of screaming and yelling, then quietness. Rinse and repeat.
That's my $0.02.

i dont like their first 2 albums as much (even though i do like a couple songs), i really like white pony. its got some great songs on it. i loved digital bath for the longest time. they dont seem to be such a great band live though. they mess up alot, or at least from what i can tell. but a great band none the less.