Deliverence doesnt have any 'erie' moments

Morgour

Knight of Gondor
Nov 6, 2002
mercia
Visit site
you know how on the previous albums it has moments which are really erie and dark and make you think about back in the dark ages and stuff.
well deliverence doesnt have any. lack of erieness :cry:

still a good album though.

I find the opening to Closure a little eerie.. but you're right, there's not that medieval lost-in-the-dark-woods feeling of some of their other work.

Maybe this neo-70s-proggish style doesn't lend itself as well to that as the somewhat more mysterious and monstrous prog-death-metal style..

I hope we get more of both, really..

np: nothing yet, just woke up.

but you're right, there's not that medieval lost-in-the-dark-woods feeling of some of their other work.'

ah yes, glad to see im not the only one who gets that feeling, its a great feeling :headbang:

nah its not really the same thing.

its like on the other albums i can imagine being surrounded by mountains on a grim winters eve with mist swirling all around me, or wandering through a dark autumn forest.

damnation has a modern sound which does nothing for my imagination.

Well then you should have called the topic "Deliverence doesnt have any 'Forest' moments" which I would agree with. But it still does have a good bit of eeriness to it IMO.

Eeeps.. I was talking about Damnation, not Deliverance. I suppose it pays to be literate (and I am clearly not at all..)

Deliverance has a few eerie moments, but again, no "Forest" moments. So I suppose I concur completely with Bleakest there.

I disagree.... Like someone else said, that carnival-sounding section in "BTPISIO" is one of the most eerie things the band has ever done...

Never undestood the whole "forest" thing, though... :err:

Close your eyes during "In The Mist..." and it almost feels like you're riding horseback through the forest coming up on a lake. He practically paints a picture in every song. On Deliverance it's there too, but not as heavy.

If eeries what you like, the good thing about Opeth is the lyrics. They're always freaky chilling. I think the sound of the vocals in BTPISIO are too.

The entire By The Pain I See In Others is creepy to me, his vocals in the first verse, the carnival part, the reprise of the quiet clean minor progression toward the end, and of course the last few minutes of the track with the backwards vocals.

The forest thing... I don't know, I generally hear a swamp in Opeth if anything from nature, especially Blackwater Park. :)

NAD said:
The forest thing... I don't know, I generally hear a swamp in Opeth if anything from nature, especially Blackwater Park. :)

yeah BP is totally swamp! awesome cd!
but the forest of the first three albums is incredible.

Opet said:
Close your eyes during "In The Mist..." and it almost feels like you're riding horseback through the forest coming up on a lake. He practically paints a picture in every song. On Deliverance it's there too, but not as heavy.

I think the most intense part of that song is when he says, "Darkness encloses, and the candle seemed to expire in her cold cold hand. And as a forlorne soul, it will fade away".

When the verse is nearing its conclusion and you can hear the misery and torment in his scream. The double bass drums adding further to the emotion, making it a phenominal climax to the tune. I almost get chills whenever I listen to it.

It is the most intense part of any song that I can think of.

Lethe78 said:
I think the most intense part of that song is when he says, "Darkness encloses, and the candle seemed to expire in her cold cold hand. And as a forlorne soul, it will fade away".

When the verse is nearing its conclusion and you can hear the misery and torment in his scream. The double bass drums adding further to the emotion, making it a phenominal climax to the tune. I almost get chills whenever I listen to it.

shit i love that moment.. once that riff starts... thats it..

Lethe78 - "I think the most intense part of that song is when he says, "Darkness encloses, and the candle seemed to expire in her cold cold hand. And as a forlorne soul, it will fade away".

mellow.gif
wink2.gif
I'm psyched... that you're psyched! I love that part.

"When the verse is nearing its conclusion and you can hear the misery and torment in his scream. The double bass drums adding further to the emotion, making it a phenominal climax to the tune. I almost get chills whenever I listen to it."

You ALMOST? I guess I'm a wuss. I got them just from reading the lines. :lol:

Reactions: Lethe78
Opet said:
Lethe78 - "I think the most intense part of that song is when he says, "Darkness encloses, and the candle seemed to expire in her cold cold hand. And as a forlorne soul, it will fade away".

mellow.gif
wink2.gif
I'm psyched... that you're psyched! I love that part.

"When the verse is nearing its conclusion and you can hear the misery and torment in his scream. The double bass drums adding further to the emotion, making it a phenominal climax to the tune. I almost get chills whenever I listen to it."

You ALMOST? I guess I'm a wuss. I got them just from reading the lines. :lol:

If I am lying in bed and it is dark, then I come remarkably close, lol.