Delving back into the roots of extreme metal

DBB said:
Out of curiosity, I searched around in the net to see what this Kråklund was all about. Saw some photos and, man, does that place look ever clean and orderly.

The retail space is really small, and there's a creepy downstairs area that must be much larger. When I was doing a research project that later turned out to be totally useless, I was in Kråklund six to eight hours a day for about a week. At lunchtime, about half a dozen people come up those stairs behind the counter. It's like the entrance to some D&D dungeon.

What I love... all the cases on the shelves have no discs in them. You can look through the booklets all you want (and when I was going through all of them for the project, I was wearing rubber gloves). You go to the counter with this empty case, and they have to go downstairs to get a wrapped copy of the CD for you. If they're out, they get the CD out of a tray and you get to keep the copy that everyone has had their grubby little hands on, at a bit of a discount.

A New York metal store that I believe is no longer in existence used to have a similar scheme but apparently theft of the booklets was a large problem.

Kråklund also has a tidy little punk section and a little pop CD section, but most of the retail stock is MMMEEETTTTAAAAAALLLLLL. Interesting that Alexi Laiho has some side project signed to Kråklund and it's in the pop section... Interesting that things like old Genesis and Yes are in the pop section, but much of the Inside Out floofy bands are in the metal section.

Kråklund also has a very interesting way of displaying the CDs. There are the masses of CDs on the shelves that you have to flip through to look at, but the metal and punk shelves are against a wall where the albums are on full display. It's not a random placement, it seems that some bands get the featured wall treatment or they don't. I guess I should ask whether the bands up there are selected by any sales criteria or if it's more of an employee recommentation kind of thing. When bands like Cathedral and Dismember and Rage are up there, I don't think it's sales related. :)

Thanks for the detailed description.

Jim LotFP said:
a little pop CD section
I thought I might have seen a Lenny Kravitz CD in one photo but can not be sure.

Jim LotFP said:
Interesting that Alexi Laiho has some side project signed to Kråklund and it's in the pop section
When we covered Britney [Spears], it was like all of a sudden we weren't metal anymore. We'll probably have to do, like, a Judas Priest cover next to make up for it.

Alexi Laiho Metal Maniacs March 2006

Jim LotFP said:
That's right, low prices, NOTHING ACTUALLY IN STOCK. Holy fuckin' fuckity fuck, that is LAME.

One order canceled. Coming up this week, a trip to Kråklund to get most of this stuff at least at a slightly higher price with much more satisfying service.

This gets even weirder.

We got that "nothing is actually here" email Sunday, and we'd sent the notice to cancel the order that same day. Yesterday, we got an email saying that it's too late to cancel the order but they can send a return mailing label.

Today, as in before 8am local time when we woke up, there was an email saying that all but 6 items shipped yesterday.

So the Bathory, Diamond Head, Possessed, and Death aren't coming right now.

Am I the only person who thinks something is a bit messed up when on Sunday they tell you nothing is in stock and Monday they ship 2/3rds of the order out?

bree-yark. bree-yark.

Granat76MM said:
Well, what do you expect - CDON's a Swedish company after all ;)

They've got good sales from time to time, though.

True. Now they're paying the price. They shipped that first batch, now they're sending the rest 1 CD at a time, without charging me extra shipping each time.

Serves them right.

And I need to hit myself in the nuts 100 times for not realizing Possessed kicks ass the first time I tried to get into them. A lot of freaky guitar work going on there.

The CD prices up here North are quite something, as I'm sure you've noticed since migrating.

Have been ordering Finnish imports (and other albums in the process) from the States as it's been tons cheaper. 20 euros vs. 14 euros (incl. postages) - no contest really, as I can wait a couple of days for the albums to arrive and use the saved money on food & booze...

20 euros are common in Germany too, at least for your common malls and CD stores - but mailorders are always around 12 to 15 euros. I ordered once for cheap from the US and dixcovered why: it was all CDs with holes through the barcode - and it was Red Stream Records...fuck off, selling these as new items, however small the price was.

Occam's Razor said:
20 euros are common in Germany too, at least for your common malls and CD stores - but mailorders are always around 12 to 15 euros. I ordered once for cheap from the US and dixcovered why: it was all CDs with holes through the barcode - and it was Red Stream Records...fuck off, selling these as new items, however small the price was.

Who fucking cares? If it plays right and all the pieces are there, who but an anal prick could possibly give a shit?

Granat76MM said:
The CD prices up here North are quite something, as I'm sure you've noticed since migrating.

Have been ordering Finnish imports (and other albums in the process) from the States as it's been tons cheaper. 20 euros vs. 14 euros (incl. postages) - no contest really, as I can wait a couple of days for the albums to arrive and use the saved money on food & booze...

There are huge advantages inherent in not having a socialized economy and 60% marginal tax rates...

Hyperborean Exile said:
Who fucking cares? If it plays right and all the pieces are there, who but an anal prick could possibly give a shit?

... somebody annoyed that they paid full album price for something not meant for sale and not paid for in the first place?

Planetary Eulogy said:
Except that he's already admitted that he got the stuff cheap, and "cut out" doesn't mean 'free.'

The stuff was not from their own label, so they got it from whatever other place - probably promos they did not have to pay for at all. So they made money out of nothing, which would be okay, were they not a label/mailorder that should use more honorable sales practices.