Depth

SweptbackFlame

twitch.tv/SweptbackFlame
Oct 4, 2006
Canada
I wanted to ask everybody, do you think your family and friends understand your love of metal? And also do they understand how deep it goes for you?

For me my parents could never understand why, I could listen to such fast paced, balls out metal. But recently I made them watch Metal: A Headbanger's Journey (Just where it all started and how it grew). And Global Metal, which my mom found out there's metal in places she never would have thought of seeing (Israel to be exact). So now she understands how important it is to most of us.

So what about you guys?

For me personally, I've got a love for music, and metal is only part of it.

And most people don't understand why I listen to the bands I do because they, themselves aren't really passionate about music and they are more or less 'casual' fans who enjoy music simply as music, and aren't as inspired by the music they listen to. I think in music that is often underground or considered unlistenable to the average person - that's where you get a lot of the truly dedicated fans. I guess this isn't really an answer to the question though.

But for example, I don't like hip-hop or rap at all but for fans who are dedicated and knowledgeable on the genre - I can understand that.

As for metal in particular, sometimes it's just a matter of taste and I don't expect that everyone will like it especially when most people are more impressed by contemporary pop artists.

I used to listen to nothing but Classic Rock, and my dad was really dissapointed when I started bringing home AIC and Nirvana CDs. But now that I blast Disgorge and Nokturnal Mortum, AIC and Nirvana look good in comparison, heh.

Meh, I could never please him. What he wants for me is the opposite of what I want for myself. Does he understand my love of metal? No. But does he understand my love of music? Yes. That's something. When push comes to shove... it wouldn't make sense to me if my dad could relate to Burzum.

my dad loves burzum :cool: his favourite bands are drudkh and blut aus nord haha.

my mum's favourite bands are MDB and dark tranquillity for that matter. music doesn't mean anywhere near as much to either of them as it does to me (maybe it did once), but they appreciate metal for a number of similar reasons which is good enough for me.

most of my friends like metal but usually they're only casual listeners, my housemate is a pretty passionate doomster though and one of my other friends is obsessed with type o hahaha.

i wonder how my grandad would react to more extreme metal music, he's a mahler-loving conservative christian type but he has billions of books on all these occult religions and he 'dabbled in black magic' and stuff, he's a crazy bastard really, awesome guy. somehow though i suspect he wouldn't be able to get into beherit.

Who cares whether someone shares your passion in an obscure art form or not. It's just an interest, and people have all kinds of them.

That said, my dad's a pretty big classic rock fan, and has a limited interest in metal. He loves Black Sabbath, and Megadeth's Cryptic Writings, and seems to like Judas Priest and Alice in Chains. There are a lot of metal bands he enjoys in small doses. He usually finds the more extreme stuff 'over the top', though.

My family never understood anything.

On the other hand I got a friend into metal as a kid. It changed his life and outlook more than I could have forseen; or perhaps listening to better music was a natural progression for him in his awakening to better things in all aspects of life.

my dad's an interesting case actually 'cause he grew up loving sabbath, priest, ac/dc etc, then kind of left music behind for a number of reasons, and around the time i was getting into 'tallica, sabbath, priest, slayer etc he was getting into fucking techno and trance. i gradually brought him right back round into extreme metal as i was discovering it myself, and now he loves a lot of that stuff and rejects the dated sound of the stuff he used to listen to.

but yeah we've had some pretty enjoyable discussions about what it is we love about metal and whatnot, we're on the same wavelength basically. i've always shared a lot with my parents, i think i'm largely a product of them rather than a reaction against them.

On the other hand I got a friend into metal as a kid. It changed his life and outlook more than I could have forseen; or perhaps listening to better music was a natural progression for him in his awakening to better things in all aspects of life.

this happened with a couple of friends in high school actually who were into stuff like feeder/they might be giants/other shit, both of them were insecure to the point of near insanity and they connected to metal in ways i wasn't expecting. both of them now listen to shit like sigur ros and beirut. not sure how 'the red in the sky is ours' worked as a stepping stone between those haha, but there you go.

My mom always bitched when I was growing up. "How could you listen to that noise" "You can't understand anything with all that screaming" "Lower that shit" and so on.

My dad on the other hand plays bass in a band so he really didn't say much. Not to mention he wasn't around much.

My wife hated it when we first met and for several years she complained all the time. But I think she finally realized how much metal and music in general actually means to me. It is one of my greatest hobbies and I think she understands that.

Most of my friends were not nearly as hardcore metal heads like me. They were more the Pop Metal types.

Most people don't get and wouldn't get most stuff I really really really have strong feelings about so I usually don't bother. However, if the subject is women and an intimate relationship, I certainly do care a great deal. And it helps to have common ground in friendships as well.

Not really. Almost none of my friends understand this type of music, save for one. They all thing is noisy garbage made my talentless losers, so I just pay no mind to their opinions when it comes to the matter.

I don't know just how much depth a relationship with metal could possibly be hha. It's not like a tangible object worth sacrificing more than unoccupied parts of my day. Like if came down either pussy or metal, i'd quickly throw metal of a cliff (figuratively speeking of course). I tend to keep metal and family/friends seperate. Probably for their safety ;)

Once I made my mom to listen to a few Primordial songs, even translated and noted lyrics for her to understand them. She seemed to dig it, and said that that stuff was cool. But I'm pretty sure it changed nothing and she doesn't understand my passion for music any better. Same for the father. He'd handle stuff like Tenhi, Tool, Iron Maiden if I'd make him to, but he wouldn't appreciate some extreme shit with growl or scream vocas. Once I played Raventale for dad and he asked "why is this idiot roars like a castrated hog?". They don't get why I need my music that much because they simple don't feel that huge need in music in their life. I have a bunch of friends who's musical dose is 10 minutes of radio playing once a week.

Once my mom asked me about my Venom shirt:

- what is that image on your shirt, Alina?
- it's a star and a goat, mom :)

Once my mom asked me about my Venom shirt:

- what is that image on your shirt, Alina?
- it's a star and a goat, mom :)

:lol:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Though my mom is actually starting to listen to some bands that I listen too like (Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Metallica (she adores the new album), Iced Earth) Though, I've never been able to get her into the more extreme stuff.