DERON LIKES TRIVIUM

There was a thread about it a short while back and it received quite a few positive comments from folk around here if I remember correctly. I haven't heard it myself, but I'm sure it's not atrocious.

It's terrible from what I've heard of it.

It's not heavy and technical, it's over-produced and actually highly unoriginal. The vocals are desperately trying to be Hetfield gone metalcore, most of the riffs are dull, the drums are too mechanical and predictable, and the attempts to be thrashy are feeble.

This doesn't win them any greater credibility in my book.

unknown said:
supposedly this new trivium album is supposed to be rather heavy and technical

It is - imagine how you would have somewhat liked Metallica to evolve (after Black), and that is the new Trivium. Being an old school metal dude as well, you will hear bits of the old bay area thrash stuff mixed in with some great melodic riffs/singing. I had no idea these guys could actually play this good to be honest. Blew me away.

Hammer of Might said:
It's terrible from what I've heard of it.

It's not heavy and technical, it's over-produced and actually highly unoriginal. The vocals are desperately trying to be Hetfield gone metalcore, most of the riffs are dull, the drums are too mechanical and predictable, and the attempts to be thrashy are feeble.

This doesn't win them any greater credibility in my book.

Dude I don't know how much of it you heard, but it is definitely technical in many areas, not Watchtower technical mind you, but a lot of the drum/guitar riffs are definitely not your out of the box 4/4 rehashed riffs. Pop on the instrumental (The Crusade) and you'll hear a lot of cool changes, odd time sigs/changes etc. - and the "core" influence is definitely at a very low percentage on this album, less than 5%.

Anyways, yeah it is guilty of sounding like old/wished for Metallica (a lot due to vocals) but, so what? If it kicks ass, it kicks ass.

If you don't like it, hey, no problem, to each his own.

Kreator/Destroyer said:
my only qualm is the song Anthem (We Are the Fire) is good but the lyrics are really queer and annoying

I wouldn't disagree with that. Cool riffs and singing but yeah, the lyrics on that one aren't all that. Your typical youth rebellious anthem tune.

I'll also add that this album has a killer kick drum sound. Love it!

Hammer of Might said:

Pretty much.

It is certainly different and better than their old stuff, but that doesnt make it good. I didnt much care for what i heard of it, but it wasnt the worst thing. If i had some extra money i would probably buy it.