DERON LIKES TRIVIUM

I can't stand the new trivium. Sure, if you really miss metallica, this is for you, but they need an original sound, and bringing back music that was popular back in the day has just never appealed to me. Music should progress, not regress. If anything, I'd choose the lesser of two evils: "Ascendancy"

Spectacular Views said:
fuck off youre a terrible poster

~gR~
really? and you base that on what? the 1800 post ive made in 4 years? yeah, i dont exactly post alot. im more of a lurker :Smug:
~gR~

ive haerd the new (and old) trivium. i guess if you wanted to say the new stuff is more technical than the old stuff. i cant argue. but its like seeing a 3 chord punk band using 2 more chords on the next album. it doesnt match up to the technicality of any decent metal band. i'll use exodus as an example, since i keep haerng people relate trivium to thrash.
~gR~

genocide roach said:
ive haerd the new (and old) trivium. i guess if you wanted to say the new stuff is more technical than the old stuff. i cant argue. but its like seeing a 3 chord punk band using 2 more chords on the next album. it doesnt match up to the technicality of any decent metal band. i'll use exodus as an example, since i keep haerng people relate trivium to thrash.
~gR~

All I will add is, I don't know if you've heard the whole album or REALLY listened to the guitar parts (or complete rhymthms). I almost feel likea fan boy hyping this friggin album so much but... I like to think I know my metal (20+ years now) and this new album is more than a 5 chord wonder. They have parts that bring back memories (for me) of Heathen, Testament, old Metallica and all that good 'ol stuff. If you go into it with the whole pre-conceived "Trivium is Nu crap core!" attitude, it will be hard to get past that. But, if you really stop and listen and forget it's Trivium, I just can't see how some of you all are saying it sucks as bad as you do. I wish I would have not said anything and ripped some "best of" clips from this album and posted, not saying which band it was. That would have been quite the experiment... I may still do it just for kicks.

Anyways, to each his own, but this album will easily make my top 5 for the year.

MetalAges said:
All I will add is, I don't know if you've heard the whole album or REALLY listened to the guitar parts (or complete rhymthms). I almost feel likea fan boy hyping this friggin album so much but... I like to think I know my metal (20+ years now) and this new album is more than a 5 chord wonder. They have parts that bring back memories (for me) of Heathen, Testament, old Metallica and all that good 'ol stuff. If you go into it with the whole pre-conceived "Trivium is Nu crap core!" attitude, it will be hard to get past that. But, if you really stop and listen and forget it's Trivium, I just can't see how some of you all are saying it sucks as bad as you do. I wish I would have not said anything and ripped some "best of" clips from this album and posted, not saying which band it was. That would have been quite the experiment... I may still do it just for kicks.

Anyways, to each his own, but this album will easily make my top 5 for the year.

Well, I don't like Trivium, but yea it's a little unjustified to accuse them of being "punks with chords". I think it's understandable for someone to like Trivium and I won't hold it against them, but personally I don't like it.

I hated Metallica's last two albums. Metallica's album that they released just a few weeks ago is the black album. Just flat out outstanding!!! In fact I can't understand the hate of the black album. I mean James's vocals changed a lot haven't they?

But yea kick butt album and way to bring back the thrash Metallica I missed you so much!

Kreator/Destroyer said:
my only qualm is the song Anthem (We Are the Fire) is good but the lyrics are really queer and annoying
Yeah I got sent a promo of this song, its the only Trivium song I had ever heard and given most actual metalheads hate their past efforts I was expecting this to suck big time.
I was suprised as hell to here the old school metal sound.

Being an oldschooler, I found the music appealing, although I didnt pay much attention to the words. The vocals did sound very Hetfield - but who cares, Hetfield aint doing anything good with his voice anymore!

Certainly they arent doing anything new but it hasnt stopped bands like Jet or Wolfmother going on to bigger things wtih an old sound.

Blue_Jay said:
I hated Metallica's last two albums. Metallica's album that they released just a few weeks ago is the black album. Just flat out outstanding!!! In fact I can't understand the hate of the black album. I mean James's vocals changed a lot haven't they?

But yea kick butt album and way to bring back the thrash Metallica I missed you so much!

I don't know if you're being serious or not but, if you are.... The Black album has been out for quite a long time, before the Load albums and St. Anger.

I think that was an embarassingly failed attempt to appear to 'mistake' Trivium with Metallica due to them [supposedly] sounding alike and getting the impression, therefore, that Metallica has made a turnaround.

The hardcoreish tinge to the vocals ruins it for me... plus those LAME deep backing vocals... and the songs don't really go anywhere, they'e NOTHING next to old Metallica, Heathen, etc. Even if they had the musicianship down, the ideas just aren't there.

Its too bad, I'd love to hear some oldschool thrash but this just leaves me wondering why they even bother pretending.

I like the guitar work of Trivium. Those boys are capable of some nice solos and leads. But I don't listen to Trivium for a couple of reasons.

1. The vocals. Usually I don't ever mind vocals. Usually they don't hold anything to my ears compared to the other instruments. But with metalcore and the entire clean, almost whining, vocals just get on my nerves. There is nothing about it that can be liked.

2. The songs are structured in such a way that listening to an entire album is almost like listening to one song on repeat. I'm not saying they all sound the same because there are definitely different sounding but they just don't go anywhere. Metallica's old songs progressed, changed and took you on a journey from start to finish. But these songs really don't take you anywhere and when the album is done I feel like I've just listened to 12 radio hits with no sense of real progression or even an urge to explore anything off the same worn path.