Detroit Review/Experience

Bass Fellow

Feb 7, 2002
Downtown
Visit site
Holy shit...where do I start? I'll give ya my personal review of the show and then I'll skip to my personal experience at the show so anyone NOT interested can amscrae.

They came out about 9:00 and kicked ass until about 10:00, there. Seriously, they were very aggressive and energetic. After BB theme, Scott enters stage left with a measure of N.F.L and then Rob stage right with another then it was no turning back. Everthing was tight. John was loving the feedback from Harpo's. A number of X he mentioned best show there in the last five trips. Everytime he asked for the crowd he got it and you could just see it in them. They,personally, looked/responded more excited(ly) in some parts of the set than in MOMD. Same set as Clev. 'cept no Rosie. Rob was shredding on everything from N.F.L and CIAM to Only and Indians. Personally, when Only played they owned. Every song had kick ass fans but when Only played it was like the Motor City Madman playing Stranglehold. Man, I hope there's a sound byte.
Scott and Joey were ripping up the whole stage. John was gettin' air in his jumps LOL. High fives for everbody. Charlie was his kick ass but modest self gettin some chants from the crowd. A personal highlight was Scott introducing Deathrider-"This song was before moshing. It was headbanging! And want I all you motherfuckers going home tonight with a serious case of metalneck." (something close to that). Thanks guys, my neck is killing me! Cheers!

Unfortunately, I went the show alone b/c I haven't seen this tour and everyone was broke. I was and now I'm really broke but OH WAS IT WORTH IT. Went up there about three hours early to avoid traffic and to explore. Parked right behind the loading door watching roadies and techs all day. I don't party anymore so I just jammed the tunes. Couple hours later a guy came over and asked me if I would give Dio's driver a ride downtown to his hotel- "He'll give ya like 10 dollars." I'm like no worries and wondered over and got the inevitable "you're not allowed to be over here." Apparently, a cab had been called and some misguided youth put me, almost, in an embarassing position. But it lit a fire under me and I decided to see maybe if I might get an autograph. I have an ankle brace I must wear b/c I have nine screws and a plate down there (since 2000 and finally will be partially removed this Tues.) Perfect thing to be autographed and I even had a Sharpie in my car. The hours passed as did other seekers and the sun. Missed some band called Killin' Machine (probably locals) and Fireball Ministry. Their singer sounds like Eddie Money in places. Kinda funny! It got chilly and I figured that they're probably watching the fuckin' ballgame. Alas! Was that a mohawk getting on the bus with some other figures? Five minutes later out of shadows comes Charlie. Got to talk briefly w. him and got a autograph on my brace. He's completely down-to-earth. Then the rest of the boys came and I shouted Scotty. He's like "yeah!?" Got my autograph and a brief conversation ending with me saying "Thanks, it was really nice meeting you" and he sincerely reciprocated. Then fuckin' Rob was right there('Oh Shit'), got his autograph. But John was past the point of no return and the only other guy had a baby blue hat on. I yelled "Joey" but he was outta there. So I was on top of the world. Went inside, snatched a cardboard flyer for WCFYA cd with reviews, etc. and bought a Jagermeister tour ticket so I could avoid fuckin' ticketmaster's $8 extra. Went to the shirts and got me a long sleeved pentathrax shirt with Anthrax O4 on the back. Then, of course, a shirt with the new album cover with the 14 city tour on the back. Then down to the front row. Laid my flyer on the corner of the seven foot stage and was still there after the show. I was up front the whole time bouncing on one leg when trying to jump. Got a high five from John somehow. Then on Indians, I decided 'fuck it', an started prancing around right before Scott could yell "WARDANCE." I went down like a sack of potatos(insert bowling pins crashing here). But, I got right back up and continued on a whole of about 20 sec. One of the best times ever. I also know who Mr. Wu is after my greetings and salutations. He's on his way back to China soon LOL. So fortunately, by going alone I met the band b/c everyone else I know would never be so patient or sober. My neck still hurts.
:headbang: Later.

Bass Fellow said:
Unfortunately, I went the show alone b/c I haven't seen this tour and everyone was broke. I was and now I'm really broke but OH WAS IT WORTH IT.
Ya know, street teamers usually get free tickets...:wave:

What'd you think of Fireball Ministry? Kinda reminded me of Seven Mary Three.

Killing Machine was OK, I thought he was trying to sound like Danzig, tho... :cool:

Uh....we kinda split after Anthrax. We were assed out from dancing and jumping like fools. Besides we had some extracurricular activities planned before we called it quits, and we both worked Saturday so we "took the show on the road"..... :rolleyes: