Devin Townsend-Accelerated Evolution

Colonial Boy

Havenless
Apr 18, 2003
Portsmouth, UK
Visit site
This is a slightly adapted version I posted from the Devin board. Enjoy...........

Devin Townsends latest offering seems a more conventional and accessable metal album than he has previously done and fits more into the Ocean machine catagory. Theres no "chipmunk" madness like infinity or subtle touches of Piano here and there like Terria. This is in no way a bad thing though, as it is packed with so much vocal emotion it is hard to fully comprehend. I think the drums sound much thicker on this record but still retain the clunk clunk patterns that were on his other releases. Not as many solos as I would have liked but a suppose it wasnt appropriate. The solos in Terria were so good that maybe im being greedy.

If there was 1 major criticism I think some of the tracks are guilty of being a bit samey as it the same power chords rearranged and the same syths. A nice acoustic number would have been nice or a few fillers. Having said that all of the songs that are on this record are very good.

The storming opener of "Depth Charge" is a wake up call and sets the tone for the whole album. The song consists of mostly thick crunchy powerchords and powerful drumming with fantasic singing. To be honest I got a bit sick of "Storm" after having it for ages before the release. It reminds me a bit of Hide Nowhere. The instrumental section is full of little touches and synths that stand out. This is onr of the softer tracks if you can call it that.

"Random Analysis" is one of those Devin songs thats you swear uve heard before because it is so obvious but great (earth day riff for example) and has a very catchy chorus. "Deadhead", well if ive heard a more powerful song I cant remember it. Stunning does not sum it up. The most intense singing ive ever heard with. My favourite by far ATM.

"Suicide" is another standout track with a suitable solo and typical catchy chorus. Im guilty of hearing it too much though like Storm (thatll teach me). "Traveller" sounds quite "happy" in comparison to suicide. It is a typical Devin song really. Nothing much that hasnt been done before though miles better than most artists.

"Away" is up next and although I like it it has yet to make much of an impression on me although the solo is at times reminiscent of "Deep Peace" and "Canada" which are very organically sounding. I need a few more listens before it sinks in. I really like "Sunday Afternoon". Its very relaxing and melodic. Makes you think about good times.

The final track "Slow Me Down" continues the popish stuff from the last track and is the "Stagnant" of AE. It is very clever as it is impossible to forget the track and makes you think how good the album was. I gave the EKO stuff a quick listen and then put the main CD back in. I wasnt in the mood for it. Im off to listen to it again.

9/10 BUY IT NOW
I might review the his other albums at a later date

Yeah this is a great album reminds me a bit of Physicist but more dynamic. Personally I like this better then the new SYL, but Devin is a God in my book :D

Wintermist

I've been listening to this CD trying to figure out what I think as a whole. "Accelerated Evolution" is actually heavier than I expected, but that doesn't mean it's bad. A solid release overall but I need some time to really listen to the whole thing, with the lyrics and soak the music in.

This is the first time I've actually heard anything from Townsend other than his work with Steve Vai on 'Fire Garden" which I didn't like. But I didn't like "Fire Garden" because of the songwriting and overall style which was Vai's fault and not Townsend's.

I don't think this album is worth a 9 / 10, maybe an 8 but I'm shooting more for a 7. So far, it's one of my least favorite metal related releases this year (Opeth is my least favorite by far), and that's kind of sad considering how much I loved Terria and Ocean Machine. This album just feels like a rehash of those albums though, there's not that much new. I think the new SYL might actually be better in retrospect, but I'd actually say that they are about equal. I never find myself listening to these albums unless other people want to, and that was most definitely not the case with my other Devy favorites like City, Ocean Machine, Physicist, and Terria.

we could say its a more straightfoward and heavier ocean machine , whatever people may say , this is just great.

I think the pop-like songs Traveller and Slow Me Down are really unnecessary. to me, they add nothing to the album's quality. the other songs are great though, but Ocean Machine is still my favourite Devy project

Alex78 said:
I think the pop-like songs Traveller and Slow Me Down are really unnecessary. to me, they add nothing to the album's quality. the other songs are great though, but Ocean Machine is still my favourite Devy project
I like Accelerated Evolution as well, it's a great album with beautiful parts like only Townsend gets the reciepts... But yeah, Biomech's Ocean Machine will stay number ONE in my mind...:kickass:

AE is probably the weakest DT release along with Physicist.

I am not sure which I like more between Terria and Synchestra though (probably his best two)...