More Newness - Devin Townsend "Accelerated Evolution"

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
Just got this bad boy today and it is really blowing my mind away.

The songs all have a heavy, deep, dreamy, metal groove to them. A few of the songs are very personal and show deep emotion and feeling to them. Devin is an amazing lyricist. The music like I said before has a very dreamy groove to them that is just so unique. The riffs seem a bit downtuned to me (I heard it is in drop c? where you change 4 strings). Making for a very interesting resonating sound. The best way to describe the composition of the songs are nuts! Devin truly is bipolar, but he makes it all come together and sound good. Mad props to him. Now his voice - can be very melodic smooth, transition to a gritty power, then some screamed vocals. I actually like the screamed ones because of his different voice.

This is a definite album to put on your wishlist. I am very happy with this purchase.

where to get it?

But The End of course ($13.50)

www.theendrecords.com

I am a definite fan of Devin's now, and will be lookin forward to getting more of his cds. Ocean Machine is next on my want list.

np Devin of course "Sunday Afternoon"

Soul of Ice said:
Just got this bad boy today and it is really blowing my mind away.

The songs all have a heavy, deep, dreamy, metal groove to them. A few of the songs are very personal and show deep emotion and feeling to them. Devin is an amazing lyricist. The music like I said before has a very dreamy groove to them that is just so unique. The riffs seem a bit downtuned to me (I heard it is in drop c? where you change 4 strings). Making for a very interesting resonating sound. The best way to describe the composition of the songs are nuts! Devin truly is bipolar, but he makes it all come together and sound good. Mad props to him. Now his voice - can be very melodic smooth, transition to a gritty power, then some screamed vocals. I actually like the screamed ones because of his different voice.

This is a definite album to put on your wishlist. I am very happy with this purchase.

where to get it?

But The End of course ($13.50)

www.theendrecords.com

I am a definite fan of Devin's now, and will be lookin forward to getting more of his cds. Ocean Machine is next on my want list.

np Devin of course "Sunday Afternoon"

GAAAH!I wanted to get it today but it wasn't in my local store, I ended getting The Gathering - How To Measure a PLanet and Avantasia PArt I.

o_O

Demonspell said:
I can best describe Devin Townsend by borrowing a phrase from prog's most enduring band of eccentrics: a true 21st century schizoid man. Get Terria next.

I do have terria, got it with accelerated evolution, and its even nuttier! Very good album, but I will wait until the end gets Ocean Machine.

*sigh* I gave Devin Townsend(something from Terria) a try a few weeks before, and it was just sort of :erk:...

I don't like using the word 'overrated', but from what I've heard, that's all I can think of.

I'll download some Strapping Young Lad and some more of Devin's other stuff and listen to some more.

Djm said:
*sigh* I gave Devin Townsend(something from Terria) a try a few weeks before, and it was just sort of :erk:...

I don't like using the word 'overrated', but from what I've heard, that's all I can think of.

I'll download some Strapping Young Lad and some more of Devin's other stuff and listen to some more.

A lot of Devy's music takes a few listens, shelved, a few listens, shelved, etc., but it's all insanely good (imo). DTB's Accelerated Evolution is incredible.

Collapse Generation said:
I'm listening to it now, good ol' Devin feeling over this one.

But nothing beats Earth Day off Terria. :D

I think "Earth Day" is one of the worst songs from "Terria"... I'll take beautiful songs like "Stagnant", "Tiny Tears" and "Deep Peace" over that.

Does anyone have a purchased copy of Ocean Machine? The reason I ask is because I downloaded Ocean Machine, and the sound quality was horrible! I figured it was just because they were mp3s, you know? So can anyone reassure me that Oceam Machine has great production values and clear vocals on the purchased CD?

The production on "Ocean Machine" is awesome... though the production on "Terria" and "Accelerated Evolution" is even better... a very dense, lush, layered production with soft endless keys and thick guitar tones