Devin Townsend

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
I was jamming to Devin's new album Synchestra tonight, and came away totally shocked. And impressed. Very impressed.

I'll admit, I have avoided Devin Townsend for the past couple years despite some rave reviews I've seen. I considered his vocals the only mar in the almost-perfect album The Human Equation by Ayreon, and that later turned out to be my failing.

Last year I downloaded a few songs to check him out, and I liked the songwriting alot...but the music and screaming vocals were too extreme for my tastes. But research told me that Mr. Townsend was quite versatile so I couldn't judge him on a few random songs.

I recently made a leap of faith and got the new album Synchestra, based on reviews from some people I highly respect and share my tastes. The album is very well written and performed. The extreme elements are brief and fit in well, the music is prog (not in the Dream Theatre sense, more like Savatage, Ayreon, Opeth, Deadsoul Tribe) and has everything from thrash/death/traditional elements to acoustic interludes. All of it very well-written.

Three listens in, I can already recommend this to anyone who shares my musical tastes. Don't miss out on this one.

I actually picked Synchestra up last weekend, but I'd had it downloaded before hand. I agree 100%, it's a fantastic album. Devin is an amazingly varied musician, I suggest giving him an honest, open minded chance.

if you dig that album seriously check out Terria and Biomech. beautiful albums. complicated albums but the extreme parts are rare and fit in perfectly. if you give the a chance you will not be dissappointed. everysong is full, not lacking, and never over-bearing.

Thanks Drk4, I expect I'll do just that. The SYL material is too extreme for me, so it looks like I should just steer for his solo albums.

Hey Droog, that "open-minded chance" you mentioned is where I previously failed. Thankfully some friends harped on me enough to dive into Synchestra with a fresh outlook.

Biomech is my favourite. Accelerated Evolution is better than Synchestra in my opinion. try Infinity, too, that's his most experimental

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Hey Droog, that "open-minded chance" you mentioned is where I previously failed. Thankfully some friends harped on me enough to dive into Synchestra with a fresh outlook.
Heh, we're all a little skeptical sometimes, at least you gave them a chance period, rather than completely dismissing them.:headbang:

Anybody that can write an intro like Vampolka gets a big two thumbs up in my book. The man's bursting at the seams with musical creativity.

You said it Droog! :hotjump: I LOVE Vampolka! That is exactly what I want in my metal. Sure, if it went on for five minutes it might be obtrusive, but as an intro it kicks ass!

I'm jamming to Synchestra again as I type this and I'm only more amazed than I was the other nite when I started this thread.

TSO...

I got this album about two weeks ago and I'm impressed too. Devin is extremely talented and his music sounds like no one else's. I highly recommend you get Ocean Machine and Terria, in that order. Fantastic pieces of art/music.

I'm still waiting to get a copy of Accelerated Evolution. Don't ask me why.:erk:

Walter_Langkowski said:
I highly recommend you get Ocean Machine and Terria, in that order. Fantastic pieces of art/music.
They are officially on my wishlist, Walter!

KMADD, keep in mind that his solo material is NOTHING like SYL. There is very little extreme in these. There is a wide range of styles and tempos involved, including acoustical and folk pieces, and even a 1 and half minute polka!

Oh that's cool i like musicianship as well. He played guitar for an industrial
band called Frontline Assembly in 95 so that's really the first time i have heard
of that individual. Hey i like different music too i have a couple of Mr. Bungle
cds and that band is definitely out there as well.

Walter_Langkowski said:
SYL is like Fear Factory x 1000. Just way too extreme for my tastes nowadays.
Ditto

I liked the extreme music when I was young and angry at the world. It was the soundtrack of my life back then. Now that I'm older, wiser, and more at peace, I prefer music that doesn't sound pissed off all the time.

I still love it HEAVY, just less angry.

NP: Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Ditto

I liked the extreme music when I was young and angry at the world. It was the soundtrack of my life back then. Now that I'm older, wiser, and more at peace, I prefer music that doesn't sound pissed off all the time.

I still love it HEAVY, just less angry.

Same here. And I'm guessing I'm about 9 or 10 years behind you in age!:Spin:

I'll still occasionally throw on some Slayer or stuff like that, but to me that is more classic. The crap that is out where it is just 'extreme to be extreme' is just puzzling to me. Throw in some melody and I'll give it a listen. Riffing and drumming a thousand miles an hour is not my mindset anymore.