Dexter: Season 1 vs the rest?

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Greetings Oh Oracles of Television Wisdom,

I just finished going through the first season of Dexter. While I liked the show fairly well, I didn't get that irresistable urge to keep watching episode after episode and stay up way too late doing so, like I did while watching The Shield, The Wire, Lost, etc. I also didn't get into many of the surrounding characters and side plots. The voice-over narration started driving me nuts.

So: how do things change after Season 1? Is it

"Well, if you were lukewarm on Season 1, the rest won't be much better",

or is it

"There is a marked improvement in the show over the next couple of seasons, so stick with it!"

Any advice is appreciated. In the meantime, I'll be checking out Modern Family and Breaking Bad.

Ken

I'm only 3 episodes into Season 3, but I would say to stick with it. Each season is different. Season 2 is outstanding. When I started watching it, I wasn't sure how the show was gonna go as it went on, but it is worth watching more of IMO.

Personally, I think Dex's voice over narrations are some of the best parts.

Although the show is great, its definitely no Twin Peaks or Lost or Weeds.

Fuck, NOTHING will ever compare to Lost!

Any advice is appreciated. In the meantime, I'll be checking out Modern Family and Breaking Bad.

I've heard a lot of great things about Breaking Bad, but still haven't seen it, nor do I even know what it's about.

What are your thoughts on it? Worth checking out? I'll need a new series to start once I'm done w/ Dexter

Dexters-Lab.gif

?

Wow! Surprised not many people like this show here. It's one of the best shows on television honestly. I personally think the show gets better and better each season...with the exception possibly of this last season. Though, I did like that one too, just not as much as the others. Having said that though, if you don't like the first season, you may not like the rest of it.

Fuck, NOTHING will ever compare to Lost!

I will never understand all the fandom with this show. I saw it a couple times and I just don't get the appeal.

Californication on the other hand, is completely awesome.

I like this show, but it as well as Weeds are just not on the same level as Dexter, amongst many other shows. I think Duchovny probably has the best one-liners in television, but Californication, just like Weeds, is pretty inconsistent at times.

I personally thought season 2 hooked better than 1. Was was cool. It was a different show, and you were getting down who everyone was. Two ran with it, and got much more suspenseful at times. I haven't started the latest season. Too much other stuff going on.

While I liked the show fairly well, I didn't get that irresistable urge to keep watching episode after episode and stay up way too late doing so, like I did while watching The Shield, The Wire, Lost, etc. I also didn't get into many of the surrounding characters and side plots. The voice-over narration started driving me nuts.

While I agree that narration generally sucks, it's kind of important in Dexter, in that he can't really say out loud a lot of the things going through his head. :)

I had the exact opposite reaction to season 1 as you did, and I have liked every season thus far, though the most recent one is probably my least favorite. IMO season 4 is the best. A lot of people are turned off by Deb's character, but I find her to be one of the most honest, believable, and well-written characters in the show, or on any show on TV for that matter. Season 1 is mostly Dexter-centric (with some big events going on in Deb's life also), but subsequent seasons allow other characters to share the spotlight as well. Batista, Laguerta, Doakes, as well as Rita and even the kids, Cody and Astor, all begin to have some very prominent roles, as well as a few supporting characters who haven't popped up yet, like Det. Quinn and Det. Lundy.

But if you didn't like season 1, I don't see much reason for you to waste your time watching on. You'll just be missing out on one of the best thriller-dramas ever made. ;)

While I agree that narration generally sucks, it's kind of important in Dexter, in that he can't really say out loud a lot of the things going through his head. :)

I had the exact opposite reaction to season 1 as you did, and I have liked every season thus far, though the most recent one is probably my least favorite. IMO season 4 is the best. A lot of people are turned off by Deb's character, but I find her to be one of the most honest, believable, and well-written characters in the show, or on any show on TV for that matter. Season 1 is mostly Dexter-centric (with some big events going on in Deb's life also), but subsequent seasons allow other characters to share the spotlight as well. Batista, Laguerta, Doakes, as well as Rita and even the kids, Cody and Astor, all begin to have some very prominent roles, as well as a few supporting characters who haven't popped up yet, like Det. Quinn and Det. Lundy.

But if you didn't like season 1, I don't see much reason for you to waste your time watching on. You'll just be missing out on one of the best thriller-dramas ever made. ;)

This. Couldn't have said it better. :)

Californication on the other hand, is completely awesome.

WAS completely awesome. It's become a predictable rehash of itself. The formula to Californication is as follows:

1) If there is a hot chick, she is going to have sex with Hank.

2) If there is a sexually-aggressive chick, she is going to have sex with Charlie. (Or he'll masturbate to her.)

3) All of the hot chicks will have potty-mouths worse than 95% of the women (and 50% of the men) you know in real life.

4) Charlie and Marcy are going to come closer together, to some extent, and be thrust apart again.

5) Hank is going to fuck up somehow, and disappoint Karen and Becca, either before or after getting back into their good graces.

And -- wouldn't you know it -- all of these things have happened already in the first three episodes of this season. The rest will likely be filler, or different perspectives on the Big Five, as stated above.

I will probably keep watching, because I'm a sick bastard, but Californication has transcended the realm of "witty and edgy" and retired to the realm of "cheap and smutty".

Shameless, on the other hand, is a show in its infancy, and while I can see it going the same route eventually, right now it's a breath of fresh air. The characters in this show are surprisingly deep, if a little unrealistic sometimes. I didn't expect to enjoy Shameless in the slightest, but I'm liking it more than Californication right now.

WAS completely awesome. It's become a predictable rehash of itself. The formula to Californication is as follows:

1) If there is a hot chick, she is going to have sex with Hank.

2) If there is a sexually-aggressive chick, she is going to have sex with Charlie. (Or he'll masturbate to her.)

3) All of the hot chicks will have potty-mouths worse than 95% of the women (and 50% of the men) you know in real life.

4) Charlie and Marcy are going to come closer together, to some extent, and be thrust apart again.

5) Hank is going to fuck up somehow, and disappoint Karen and Becca, either before or after getting back into their good graces.

And -- wouldn't you know it -- all of these things have happened already in the first three episodes of this season. The rest will likely be filler, or different perspectives on the Big Five, as stated above.

I will probably keep watching, because I'm a sick bastard, but Californication has transcended the realm of "witty and edgy" and retired to the realm of "cheap and smutty".

Shameless, on the other hand, is a show in its infancy, and while I can see it going the same route eventually, right now it's a breath of fresh air. The characters in this show are surprisingly deep, if a little unrealistic sometimes. I didn't expect to enjoy Shameless in the slightest, but I'm liking it more than Californication right now.

I would have to pretty much agree with what you said about Californication, though I still like it due to Duchovny.

I love Shameless so far. It's very different, like a really quirky indie comedy but in an episodic format. My dad personally hates it, and it hasn't been getting good reviews unfortunately. At the same time though, I can understand why as it definitely is the type of show you're probably either going to love or hate...without much in between.

Yeah, I get that, but it's repetetive. Yes, Dexter, I know you're a monster, and you have no real feelings, yada yada yada. At least the voice-overs are used more sparingly as the season goes on, which is good.

Season 1 is mostly Dexter-centric (with some big events going on in Deb's life also), but subsequent seasons allow other characters to share the spotlight as well. Batista, Laguerta, Doakes, as well as Rita and even the kids, Cody and Astor, all begin to have some very prominent roles,

Ew, well that might seal it right there. The Rita-and-her-abusive-husband storyline makes me want to tear my hair out, I don't like Doakes, and the Laguerta side plots seem like rehashed leftovers from The Shield. At least in Season 1.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Ken

I will never understand all the fandom with this show. I saw it a couple times and I just don't get the appeal.

I completely understand why many people did not like Lost. Its definitely NOT something that someone can just watch an episode or 3 to see if they like it...it's a series, not a show...you have to see it from the 1st episode and not miss a second of it. One of those shows where every little thing is important. If someone sneezes, you must remember who, when & why because it will come back 3 seasons later and be important (and I admit that things did start to get a bit ridiculous around Season 4, though I still loved the show. And no, there is no important sneeze in the series:lol:). Like Twin Peaks, Weeds, Dexter, etc, just watching a random episode will leave people scratching their head going "what the fuck?"

Like I said, I completely understand why many people did not like Lost. Many people honestly just didn't understand it. Its a very complex & involved story, which isn't for everyone. Lost is one of those things where its damn near impossible for one to be a "casual fan." Its definitely a Love/Hate thing, to the point where either you worship it to the point of obsession, or you completely despise it with every bit of hatred that a human can possibly feel:lol:

Lost is a lot like Prog metal. There are those who love it, those who hate it, those who will over analyze it, and those who don't have the brain capacity to understand it:lol:

Sorry for the long rant. If at some point you break your legs and can't leave the house or something, watch the entire series. You might change your mind. I know a lot of people who have had a change of heart on the show, just because they didn't start it from the beginning. But then again, it isn't for everyone. Some people just don't like certain things, end of story, which is understandable.

I'm kind of surprised by the shortage of love for Dexter too. My wife and I are addicted. We were hooked from the first episode due to the intelligent writing, character realism, and stellar acting. If the first season didn't do it for you, then I agree, don't waste any more time on it.

My wife and I are absolutely in love with the show. We just started season 4 last night after finally getting settled into our new apartment. Each season is different and we can't help but be addicted. I hadn't been that addicted to a show since Lost and Heroes - although I have to admit the season finale of Lost was the biggest let down in the history of my T.V. show addictions.