Dexter- The books

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
Ive been watching dexters first 2 seasons religiously, but i dont have showtime and netflix only has 1 and 2 streaming, so shortly i will probably order 3-4-5.

But I was thinking of picking up the 4 books that this series is based off of. The only thing is I dont want them to ruin my take on the show. I know that certain things will be different between the 2 as it usually is. But if I read the book will I hate the show? or vice versa? Has anyone read any of the books?

Discuss

You have already started to watch the show.......finish it and then read........They try to keep it guessing a little.....no show is going to go exactly like the book.....or it would be pointless for people who already read the book to watch the show.

Yeah I know that the 2 aren't gonna be exactly the same as i said in my first post. I was more wondering if reading the books were worth the read or if i should just stick to the show. The only thing I noticed that was extreme between the 2 was that in the books apparently dexter doesnt humanize as much as he does in the series.

I love the show, its awesome. My buddy read the books and said that the only things that are similar between the two, story wise, is in the first book. But that's about it. Even a lot of things in the first book are different from the show. Like major events and characters and stuff. I would say stick with one or the other first though, and then do the other. That was his take on it though, I haven't read them myself. :)

Well apparently all the seasons that have been on up till now have only been about the first book. So maybe further down the road the other books will come in to play.

The book are really wierd, and to be honest...not well written.

Lets say the book is about 235 pages (guessing cause I don't have it with me), there will be about 200 pages or more of build up and then the story basically wraps up in 20 pages or so and then the last 15 are just unnecessary. It's like the author gets so into the detail of everything and then gets bored and says "fuck it" and just finishes the story as fast as possible.

1st book is good, 2nd book is good (wish season 2 was like this one), but the rest are not great....

The first season was based on the first book and differs quite a bit in the end. After that I believe they are totally different.

I tried to read one of the books but I couldn't get into it...like CFH said, it not very well written, for my taste at least.
The series are awesome though. The 2 episodes from the new season are not that good, but I hope eventually something interesting will happen.

I also just found out that apparently a 5th book was released last month. Ill probably pick up the first one and see what happens from there.

I didn't know Stephen King wrote the Dexter books.

zing! :lol:

Actually you could have inserted John Saul, James Patterson, Stephenie Meyer, or Dean Koontz. Hell, the list could go on.

But on topic, I haven't read the books nor really watched the tv series much, yet most of my friends speak of its praise.

I got the first book, and im on chapter 11. So far i like it, especially after seeing the show it makes reading it a little bit better cuz i can put some faces and voices to the dialouge.

All I'm going to say is that book 3 was RETARDED. Well maybe I'll say more... ha!
I liked Book 1. Book 2 was sorta...ok at best. Book 3 deserves heaping helpings of scathing criticism. It was turrible.

that just means you suck at reading hahaha :Smokin:

lol to further prove your point, chapter 11 is only like 50 something pages into the book. Shit the only thing I normally read is audio related. It's been a while since i opened up an actual story book and read it. But now that i've seen the show its like automatic that the faces and voices of the actors pop up in my head.