DI/Preamp for Reamping

LordSmartin

New Metal Member
Feb 18, 2012
Hi,
as first time poster i want to introduce myself and thank you guys. Been reading this forum for quite a while now and its hands down the best forum on this subject i have read so far.

But back to Topic:
I want to start reamping in my little homestudio. I have a Echo Audiofire 12 as Interface wich has no preamps on it. Scince its more hobby than professional work i dont want/can spend too much money so i read a lot of threads here and decided to use the Palmer Reamping Box but i cant decide on DI/Preamp. The preamp should be good for recording bass too. Pricetag on the bundle is variable. The whole thing should be a good mix between cheap and quality.

In one of the DI Shootouts I read that the Studio Projects VTB1 is a good DI with 1,5megOhm input wich is good cause i mainly use passive PU,s. Scince its considerd a good preamp for bass recording im pretty intrigued, only problem there is no thru for monitoring my playing on the amp while recording. Or is there a usable workaround?

edit: One workaround came to mind. Is it possible to run one of the xlr outputs from the preamp to the palmer reamper while recording?

Greetz
LordS

The countryman Type 85 has a 10M input z. It is great on bass too. A friend of mine knows some bass players who have adapted the Type 85 to their live rig just for the coloration that it adds.