Diabolaical Masquerade-Death's Design?

bleedingskeptic

boo hoo
Oct 13, 2001
i remeber hearing people talk about Diabolical Maquerade here a long time ago (or more recently, i don't know) and was wondering if the album "Death's Design" is any good? i saw it sitting in a cd store by my house and was wondering if its worth picking up.

I'd recommend it. Though I have heard people knock it because it is a soundtrack, divided into a lot of movements of varying length - many quite brief. If you go into it expecting a traditional album, you will probably be disappointed. But if you appreciate experimentation and music that always keeps you on yours toes, Death's Design is worth checking out. If you want a taste of D.M. in a more traditional songwriting format, check out the band's previous album, Nightwork - also very worthy.

Originally posted by ChaoticTate
Though I have heard people knock it because it is a soundtrack

It isn't. It's an album and nothing more.

People are going to argue and show me interviews and such...

... it's not a soundtrack. Just written like one, which doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference if you're not liking that format. PLEASE, just trust me, the story behind this is Pan-Thy-Monium-like in its weirdness.

I very much like the album though. :)

Deaths Design is a wonderful piece of music, as is ANY other Diabolical Masquerade album. Hearse can preach its greatness pretty well.

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

Re-read what I said.

No!

;)

I dont know wheher it was a movie soundtrack or not, and I really dont care, its good period. Im just saying that IS what Blakheim himselft said and I quote:

"It was completely strange", the musician recalls. "Wesley Howard contacted me and I was honoured and puzzled at the same time. I was totally open-minded to hear what they wanted and also a bit hesitant because I'd never done anything similar before. We spoke on the phone and just as the project was about to start rolling I called up Dan Swano. He felt it was a field that he hadnt covered, so was willing to step in and do this as a collaboration."

"I dont think the SOUNDTRACK is ever gonna see the light," he concludes. "I'm hearing rumours all the time about guys leaving the crew, budget problems and them totally rewritting the whole script. That means the SOUNDTRACK is pretty much lost because it the change the script, then the SOUNDTRACK isn't gonna work anymore"

Quotes taken straight from Blakkheim himself. I dont know the man personally so I cant say he's lying.

Originally posted by blakmetalemp
I dont know wheher it was a movie soundtrack or not, and I really dont care, its good period. Im just saying that IS what Blakheim himselft said and I quote:

I am a prophet! I said interview quotes were going to be used on me!

I challenge anybody to find any evidence that the movie, the production company or any individuals named as part of either, ever existed before Death's Design's promotional campaign began.

I agree it's good. It's just not quite what everybody thinks it is.

Jim LotFP
I am a prophet! I said interview quotes were going to be used on me!

Sorry, BUT :lol: :lol: :lol:

I challenge anybody...

Challenge shmallenge. Come on. There's no need for it. Everyone knows blackmetalemp just made that up.
eek3.gif
Kidden! Just playin'..

When the word soundtrack was used, I wondered if you meant like Operation Mindcrime. It plays itself out like a movie to me with those 30 second tracks here and there.

Well, regardless of the existence or not of this movie that won't exist anyways (BTW, Wesley Howard is a director, but beyond that, or if it's even the same person, who knows, and I can't find any info on the production company)...Death's Design was still conceived to flow like a soundtrack.

The caveat that I was driving at in my initial post was more that, I suppose; Death's Design at least possesses some degree of verisimilitude with the soundtrack album format, regardless of whether or not it was designed around a real film or not.

Originally posted by ChaoticTate
(BTW, Wesley Howard is a director, but beyond that, or if it's even the same person, who knows, and I can't find any info on the production company)...

"The ones behind it are called West & Hill corp, a semi-pro company from Hollywood, US. The film was co-produced by John Grant and Wesley Howard who also wrote the script. Barry Stevens directed it."