Did anyone else notice?

As much as I enjoyed Hammerfall, I did get the impression that they were aware of the pressure on them to retain their audience, which was why they played a rapid-fire set packed with high-energy songs and not much downtime. When I saw them on tour earlier in the year they did some ballads and had more instrumental/synth breaks, as well as more talking between songs. I would still not be surprised to learn that they were thinking about doing a Dio song late in their set, but decided against it due to it being so late and people being very tired.

Easy folks,

The greatest tribute to Dio was to push the music of Metal forward. So what nobody played a cover at PPUSA? Marco does it already in Finland with his Sabbath tribute. Several other bands probably did the same in Europe. But, these guys, for the most part, never played the US before. They are trying to get you to enjoy THEIR material. Now, what if a band like Tyr or Illusion Suite did a Dio cover and it was a mediocre performance? This board would have went cuckoo demanding their deaths and Glenn would be paying thousands of dollars to Center Stage for the damage the ensuing riot would have caused. It would be akin to spitting out the Eucharist at the Altar of St. Patrick's Cathedral. Sacrilegious. Better that they didn't.

Well I guess it could become way overdone, screen videos, tribute sets, cover tunes, etc all in tribute to people who died. Plus there are so many who die that are not recognized at all like Tony Taylor who did not drink himself to death. So how far do you take it until it becomes a memorial service?
However we are talking about Ronnie James Dio in this case, that was just not anyone or just another singer. If Dio was present at ProgPower one year he would have not been ignored like Midnight seemed to be the year he was present. I guess no point in saying that other than to point out that Dio's impact and presents is much greater and if anyone should be acknowledged it is that man.
Maybe a moment of silence at least, of course that may have been difficult to pull off.

What would have been appropriate, really, was a quick toast 'To Those Who Have Fallen This Year", which includes Ronnie, but also doesn't neglect other deaths from the metal world this year.

This. It seems very hypocritical sometimes that some people in this board want to see a tribute only to the ones THEY themselves think are important or the ones they liked, yet won't even acknowledge other figures that have passed. (Not that Dio wasn't important).

What would have been appropriate, really, was a quick toast 'To Those Who Have Fallen This Year", which includes Ronnie, but also doesn't neglect other deaths from the metal world this year.

Actually, this might be a really cool thing - like at the Oscars, but with music. Maybe a quick video collage that can be played between sets, perhaps before a headliner. As if Wayne doesn't have enough other things to do :)

Ken

Actually, this might be a really cool thing - like at the Oscars, but with music. Maybe a quick video collage that can be played between sets, perhaps before a headliner. As if Wayne doesn't have enough other things to do :)

Again, a good idea. Does it make it absolutely necessary though? Not at all.

Dr. Luther's idea seems a little TOO much, really. All we'd need is a simple few seconds, no names need mention. All those In Memorial montages at award shows get annoying because it seems more a popularity contest with all the hollering and clapping for the BIG names, and muted response for the lesser known ones, post mortem, than a simple "Thanks for being there when you were" tribute.

On a positive note, when I joined Michael Eriksen and the Seventh Wonder boys for our impromptu "Stairwell Serenades" (Thanks to Pellaz for coining the cutest name for whatever the hell it was that we were up to down there), we did sing Heaven and Hell, and there was much ado about crouching down and throwing horns. Dio tribute at PPUSA (no matter how small or unknown to everyone else)? CHECK. :)

On a positive note, when I joined Michael Eriksen and the Seventh Wonder boys for our impromptu "Stairwell Serenades" (Thanks to Pellaz for coining the cutest name for whatever the hell it was that we were up to down there), we did sing Heaven and Hell, and there was much ado about crouching down and throwing horns. Dio tribute at PPUSA (no matter how small or unknown to everyone else)? CHECK. :)

There you go! It was done. Next!?

I'm a Dio fan as much as the next person, but every concert I've been to since Dio passed has had a "Dio tribute" in it some way. It was kind of refreshing to not hear it for once. And think about it, if every single band said something about Dio and or played a Dio song, we'd be complaining that we heard enough of him over the weekend.

-Metal

Sorry lady,that's like someone saying "enough sex".I can't get too much of a good thing and Dio was great not good.

My thought is this with a "lower slot band." -

'I didn't fly several thousand miles, cross an ocean, pay a fortune for everything, and gone through the hassle of getting an american visa for a 45 minute set to play someone elses material.'

This. If you only have 45 minutes or an hour and you're playing your first show on US soil (or one of very few shows), EVERY SECOND is precious. Especially at a high-profile show like PPUSA.

Agreed. I was also crushed by the demise of Peter Steele.

On a positive note, when I joined Michael Eriksen and the Seventh Wonder boys for our impromptu "Stairwell Serenades" (Thanks to Pellaz for coining the cutest name for whatever the hell it was that we were up to down there), .....

de nada :heh:

.....we did sing Heaven and Hell, and there was much ado about crouching down and throwing horns. Dio tribute at PPUSA (no matter how small or unknown to everyone else)? CHECK. :)

Sadly, my camera munged the video of that gem (and all of those vids). Hopefully someone else got it. :(

Who the hell is "Dr. Luther"?

Errm..... Superman's nemesis? A bit like Zod, but more down-to-Earth?* :lol:

----
* yes, I know it's spelled 'Luthor' and I'm not sure if he held a doctorate....