difference between melodeath and metalcore

matgvox1342

Apr 2, 2007
NJ
i consider myself a huge melodeath fan, but lately im seeing the line between melodeath and metalcore being blurred. i usually dont like any -core genres, but ive been recommended so by so many people melodeath bands that they assure me arent metalcore at all but when i listen to them the hardcore influence is quite evident. there used to be such a difference between the two but now im starting to not be able to tell one from the other...

I don't care much for either genre, but I agree, especially nowadays there a lot of metalcore/melo-death blending. In Canada, a lot of the metal scene seems to add core to melodic death and death metal and whatever else, and so I hardly care for Canadian music.

melo-death was played out for me a while back, I haven't heard anything new and good in forever. Now I just keep up with the new stuff of bands I already like.

Huge difference. Swedish metal hardly inspired the metalcore scene, as a matter of fact. Metalcore features more elements of nu-metal than it does of melodic death metal (which is an ironic term anyway since there's nothing death metal about "melodeath" aside from the vocals).

The only band that I think really pushes the boundaries is At The Gates (Slaughter of the Soul era). The rest is either one or the other and it's usually pretty evident based on their sound.

You know, a lot of people talk shit about Melodic Death Metal. Maybe it's because I'm just not a huge Death Metal freak, I mean I like Death Metal but I'm by no means a hardcore fan or anything so I tend to like Melodic Death Metal a lot i.e. At The Gates and such...

As far as Metalcore and all its sub genres, some of it is ok but it's definetly the least interesting Metal genre to me. A lot of it sounds the same, and I don't care for the Punk influence in some of it.

I haven't heard a lot of recent Metalcore so I can't say they sound simular to me.

whats wrong with Punk?

early Sunlight Studios death metal and English/American grindcore is influenced by it. same with a lot of necro black metal.

whats wrong with Punk?

early Sunlight Studios death metal and English/American grindcore is influenced by it. same with a lot of necro black metal.

That's very true. Yet, the "core" elements in Metalcore are not even close to the good hardcore that served as an influence to the genres you mentioned.

Just haven't cared for much of Punk.

no offense, but its obvious in your username. I never grew up with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and the like. When I was in highschool I mostly listened to bands like Black Flag and The Dead Kennedys. I didn't like most metal cause I assumed most of it sang about silly things like dragons and Satan and thought it was comical. but then I discovered grindcore bands like Napalm Death and Heresy and it completely changed my view of metal. after that I got into doom, black and death metal like I am into today. funny thing is, I hardly even listen to much punk these days, except for Discharge and other crust/d-beat bands.

Well, listen for the melodic parts.

I like melodeath, where as I absolutely loathe metalcore.

I loathe power metal because its the subgenre of heavy metal that is the farthest removed from punk rock and hardcore. no thanks...:puke:

I hate melodeath, but I like a lot of metalcore. I can't stand cheesy melodic metalcore though, and obviously this is the stuff that would be compared to melodeath.

Well here's some solid differences.

MELODIC DEATH METAL:

METALCORE:

The Differences
- The hair
- The emo appearance of the metalcore people
- The non-existence of Emo-like clean vocals in melodic-death
- The heaviness
- The headbanging
- The song structure
- The lyrics
- The record labels (Metalcore: Roadrunner, Melodic-Death: Candlelight)

Melodic-Death is teh winnerz.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Differences
- The hair
- The emo appearance of the metalcore people
- The non-existence of Emo-like clean vocals in melodic-death
- The heaviness
- The headbanging
- The song structure
- The lyrics
- The record labels (Metalcore: Roadrunner, Melodic-Death: Candlelight)

Melodic-Death is teh winnerz.

You're a fucking idiot. Aesthetic differences have no weight or bearing on the genre of a band.

You're a fucking idiot. Aesthetic differences have no weight or bearing on the genre of a band.

It was more like a comparison between the two bands, but I do find the common occurrences of their appearances (Yes I am aware that appearance does not contribute to the genre, If monkeys could play death metal (God knows they will someday) then I'm sure it'd still be death metal :)); It was kind of a joke anyway. The musical differences are quite apparent though.

not necessarily. have you heard World Burns To Death or Disrupt?

No, please direct me to it. But what I mean is that "punk" is now full of melodys and are the farthest thing from what the sex pistols and dead kennedys and other orginal punk bands where much earlyer.