diffrence

dantick

New Metal Member
Jun 13, 2011
So... i've heard Waves plugins are pretty good...
But i dont see the diffrence between the compressor come's with cubase and wave's one.
A compressor = a compressor, right?

So...

So ... summary ?
It depends on you're workflow?..
(correct me if i am wrong...)

I'll assume this is a serious question. You're wrong. Different compressors sound and react differently. If you're happy with the stock comp more power to you but know that there are so many models of hardware and software compressors b/c they are used to accomplish different things.

If you can't hear the difference then don't waste your time/money with waves plugins. ;)

Wow, no need to insult some one just because they are learning. I am sure this is an honest question as I once thought the same thing.
All it means is your ears have not been 'trained' to hear certain things yet. To me this is the so called 'ellusive secret' to recording and mixing. However this can only be acheived over years and years of intense listening to as many styles of music/production as possible. The same applies to EQ and other mixing tools. To begin with you will have to make larger changes to hear small results but over time as your ears tune in more you will hear more detail in small adjustments and will be able to hear the difference a different compressor can and will make.
Can you hear a difference between the comp being on or off with resorting to over the top settings?
If you cant then the difference between comps will be impossible to hear for now but stick to it because in a few years you will wonder why you couldn't in the first place. It takes time and there is no secret answer or short cut to this kind of thing.

I think they all will do the basic job: compress the soundwave
But, sound is never the same, even if you record the same instrument, similar conditions, etc.
So every plugin/hardware will react different (test UAD 1176 plugin and waves CLA 76 with same extreme settings).
Just test them, normally at extreme settings is easier to notice the differences.

I'm finding these things very similar to when I started guitar, I'm pretty new to recording too.
I used to think one amp was the same as the next.
At that time I didn't really perceive much difference between different amps and so I was not wrong, in fact I'd have been stupid to splash out cash on some "must have" amp.
As you get more experienced you understand what you're trying to achieve more, and start to reliably notice each plug-in hardwares unique voice and which will help you best achieve your sonic goal.

I'd say for now stick with the stock ones.
When you get to a point where you've got a specific sonic goal that you can't seem to achieve with the stock one, and you will get to that point eventually, then it's time for you to start exploring.

Especially the compressor coming with Cubase is very bad and changes the sound drastically. No problem though, if you like the way it changes the sound.
I never use it because i don't.