Digi albums

Jan 28, 2009
I rip a lot of my CDs to Sony discs via WMA at a Lossless size. But of course doing this leaves those 2-second gaps between each song. Because I have been seeing more and more albums being sold as a digital download, I am curious as to albums like - Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon;" Symphony X "V;" Pain of Salvation "Remedy Lane; and various live albums - that has each song intertwining with the previous.

Are the digital download albums such as those mentioned above sold with the 2-second gaps or does the label and/or site edit said albums specifically for download purposes?

Curious about it; but since I have never brought a digital download, I cannot answer my own question.

I've always wondered about that also. But, if you think about it, the olden days of LP's had the same thing. So I'm not sure... But it does annoy me when the gap happens and I know it's not suppose to be there.

Yes, but I was under the assumption those players that leave out gaps also cannot separate the songs so one can be played individually. No gaps means one super long "song." No?

I have looked at some of the other players, but some only use WAV or MP3 formats - and I like my WMA because I rip, burn and don't have to worry about it not playing in my disc player.

Eh - I am not very knowledgeable about the digital stuff, so I stick to physical discs.

If you buy a download, it should come with the smooth transitions preserved and the intentional gaps preserved, just like on the CD. The possible fracture point is when you burn the tracks to a CDR. Make sure you have gaps turned off or set "gap between songs" to zero/none in your program settings. This won't eliminate intentional gaps, it will preserve the seamless transitions and preserve the intentional gaps.

I believe having short countdown spaces between tracks on CDs is becoming rarer and rarer. Instead, when a song is supposed to be separated by a few seconds of silence from the next, they just make the playing time of that track an extra two or three seconds. I haven't noticed any negative countdowns on my CD player readout for some years except when playing some older discs.