Digidesign´s new product for Guitarrist

I might be way off here, but seriously, ProTools LE is an LE version. Considering Digidesign's position in the DAW market, do they really have any reason to implement more and more of their expensive HD rigs' features to the ~300€ version?

I didn't mean to imply that ADC is a huge deal. I use Cubase so I don't have anything to sincerely complain about in the first place, I hardly ever touch my MBox. I'm just saying, and I totally understand this is the LE version, (even still...) so many other DAWs have it, why not include it? It's not like you give LE the ADC and then bam, HD sales will truly suffer. In fact, it would probably boost sales with people flooding to their Digi retailer of choice to purchase the new 017+ Factory Hyper Pro Rack++ and PTLEXIV.IV (now with ADC!).

Really what I would be interested most is seeing all new interfaces that are a great improvement over what is currently available from Digi.

Not that I wouldn't love to have ADC on my M-Powered, but since I like PT and I'm serious about my goals in the audio business and about turning a nice hobby (hopefully) into a profession, I just accept the way it is and will eventually upgrade to HD.

Honestly that is what I'm shooting for myself. I'm riding out the time until I can afford a PTHD system and then I feel I will be set.

Hah.. well that's a better price than the Muse Receptor at least. But really what I'm thinking is... it's Digidesign's take on the PODxt/x3 Pro basically?

I might be way off here, but seriously, ProTools LE is an LE version. Considering Digidesign's position in the DAW market, do they really have any reason to implement more and more of their expensive HD rigs' features to the ~300€ version?

Not that I wouldn't love to have ADC on my M-Powered, but since I like PT and I'm serious about my goals in the audio business and about turning a nice hobby (hopefully) into a profession, I just accept the way it is and will eventually upgrade to HD.

+1 to the whole post :kickass:

I greatly look forward to this bombing out, along with the kiddie version of ProTools. They need to be woken up into a focus re-shift. I'm not surprised crucial members of the company are leaving. They seem to be frantically grabbing for money at all angles.

I'm not sure why so many of you guys are keen to upgrade to HD down the track. Every month that passes makes those obsolete chips in their accel and core cards even more useless. They have NOT dropped the price as hardware has inevitably improved over time, in fact there are plans to RAISE it, nor have they improved the goddamn power of the chips either. Sounds like a company that truly cares about their professional end customers!

I'm not sure why so many of you guys are keen to upgrade to HD down the track. Every month that passes makes those obsolete chips in their accel and core cards even more useless. They have NOT dropped the price as hardware has inevitably improved over time, in fact there are plans to RAISE it, nor have they improved the goddamn power of the chips either. Sounds like a company that truly cares about their professional end customers!

Where did you see that there were plans to raise the cost of HD? That blows.

I am in all honesty shocked that Digi has not released new hardware, or at least accel and core cards in the last few years.

Interesting, and I signed up...

I'm wondering what is up with Digidesign increasingly marketing themselves as "Avid?" Sure, Avid's always been their parent company, but it seems like Avid might be rolling up their sub-brands into Avid? Does anyone know what's going on here?

UPDATE: Just found my answer on the DUC:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=244428

Interesting... I wonder how this will affect customers and employees.

EOSS (End of Software Support) Announcements

September 10, 2009

The newly released Pro Tools 8.0.1 software will be the last version of Pro Tools to support the following products:

* Original Mbox
* Expansion|HD Chassis
* Macintosh PowerPC Computers
* Pro Tools MIX-era Peripherals

does this mean there will be a replacement for PTHD soon?

September 10, 2009

The newly released Pro Tools 8.0.1 software will be the last version of Pro Tools to support the following products:

* Original Mbox
* Expansion|HD Chassis

Probably:loco:

September 10, 2009

* Original Mbox
* Expansion|HD Chassis

Well this is interesting indeed. I wonder what'll come out? I've been quite impressed by the speed and workflow of PT because we've been doing a lot of stuff with it at school. If they release a non-crappy version, I might become interested in actually getting PT.

Well this is interesting indeed. I wonder what'll come out? I've been quite impressed by the speed and workflow of PT because we've been doing a lot of stuff with it at school. If they release a non-crappy version, I might become interested in actually getting PT.

A non-crappy version? A affordable non-LE/Essentials edition of PT?

If you are at school and they use PT, you may as well have it anyway.

A non-crappy version? A affordable non-LE/Essentials edition of PT?

If you are at school and they use PT, you may as well have it anyway.

Well, basically a single PT that's not too expensive, and would work with my Profire just as well as with Digi hardware (which seems likely, as Avid mentions "bringing everything under one roof" etc.)

PT isn't the right choice for me in it's current state because of many things. Hardware restrictions and track limits being some of the biggest reasons.

September 10, 2009

* Original Mbox
* Expansion|HD Chassis

That's a huge slap in the face for people still running their HD-rigs on G5s or even G4s... Pure chicane.

Yeah that was my first thought too was sooooo many guys STILL rocking their PPC G5, and in some cases G4. I am pretty James Murphy is using a G5 still as well, I'm curious as to what he thinks about that move. Most likely though these particular users just simply won't upgrade at all, G5s still have plenty of power for today's needs so...

Cool to hear that though, it sounds like they really will be upgrading HD soon. By removing support for the expansion chassis I'm assuming that means they are planning on significantly upping the power of the Core/Accel cards.

Expansion|HD Chassis is only the PCI version. There's still the Magma (PCI-e) in use.
And they are saying they're stopping support, not "legacy-ing" the products. They won't just stop working on the current system.

So I've been thinking HD is long due for a replacement, but just today I thought, "when is the last time apogee upgraded it's high end stuff?" Yeah they introduced the symphony cards but the last converter upgrade has to date around the time of HD. Am I wrong? BTW this isn't an excuse for digi so much as an observation (granted the HD cards and software issues are something else entirely).

edit: actually, sorry, this is an OT offshoot of an OT conversation. So I'll go for the gold:
gio-gallery-top-on.jpg

Expansion|HD Chassis is only the PCI version. There's still the Magma (PCI-e) in use.
And they are saying they're stopping support, not "legacy-ing" the products. They won't just stop working on the current system.

Ah, shows how much I know about HD hardware :lol:

So I've been thinking HD is long due for a replacement, but just today I thought, "when is the last time apogee upgraded it's high end stuff?" Yeah they introduced the symphony cards but the last converter upgrade has to date around the time of HD. Am I wrong? BTW this isn't an excuse for digi so much as an observation (granted the HD cards and software issues are something else entirely).

edit: actually, sorry, this is an OT offshoot of an OT conversation. So I'll go for the gold:
gio-gallery-top-on.jpg

how much can you upgrade pristine/top-notch 24/194 conversion?

personally, i would imagine that the next big technological step, as far as conversion and such goes, would be 32-bit recording...don't know if it's even really necessary, but people will make it whether it's needed or not!