Digidesign Shoot-out: Waves SSL vs Real SSL

Darren "Jenk" Jenkins;10481096 said:
I record and mix on an SSL console all the time, I also own the Waves SSL bundle. The Waves plug-in is very good but it doesn't compare to the real thing. Anybody that's used an SSL board will know what I mean. The UAD SSL plug-in is the best and closest emulation that I've heard.

Care to expand on this?
WHY is it different.
I will never get the chance to use a real SSL so just saying its close but not the same doesnt really mean much...

From my experience with some SSL502 EQ's, it just sounds quite different I find I can get away with boosting top end more with the hardware without things getting pokey and harsh.

From my experience with some SSL502 EQ's, it just sounds quite different I find I can get away with boosting top end more with the hardware without things getting pokey and harsh.

I'd say this statement is 100% accurate and generally applies to the limitation of plugs in general. Whether it's compressors or eqs (or anything really) I find they are great for small to medium adjustments, but as soon as you get into maxing the knobs or pushing it to the max, it falls apart, whereas hardware does not.

The main difference between the plug-in and the console is in the channel strip compressor. The plug-in just doesn't have the punch of the console. The buss compressor is a lot closer though. The other main difference is the high-end in the EQ. The plug-in gets a lot fizzier sounding when boosting in the 8kHz - 12kHz area. In general, you can push the EQ on the console more without it becoming undesirable.

Darren "Jenk" Jenkins;10482085 said:
The main difference between the plug-in and the console is in the channel strip compressor. The plug-in just doesn't have the punch of the console. The buss compressor is a lot closer though. The other main difference is the high-end in the EQ. The plug-in gets a lot fizzier sounding when boosting in the 8kHz - 12kHz area. In general, you can push the EQ on the console more without it becoming undesirable.

Never cared much for the Waves SSL eq's or the channelstrip as whole and the whole ITB eq's can't stand boosting the highs seem to be a consensus :) I usually just use Digi eqIII and use a shitload of saturation,tape sims etc which have brought me allot close to that "analogue vibe"

I agree about the Waves SSL buscompressor is very close to the real deal. Was quite disappointed when i a/b my HW against the ITB plugin haha. So close that you could barely hear the difference. Pushing the HW compressor hard is another deal though.

I noticed a massive difference when I went to the duende. With my smart comp I've noticed I can pull 2-3 times as much gr as the plugin whilst retaining punch and before folding. That's usually when I tear the mix down and start again but the hw has much more give/push pull then the plug.

I noticed a massive difference when I went to the duende. With my smart comp I've noticed I can pull 2-3 times as much gr as the plugin whilst retaining punch and before folding. That's usually when I tear the mix down and start again but the hw has much more give/push pull then the plug.

Are you saying you moved from Waves to Duende, or HW to Duende? I use Duende Buss Comp on every project. I imagine I will switch to Slate VBC once it comes out.

I'm still debating between the two. I felt Duende got closer to the 'typical' HW sound, but I find the Waves SSL strip can get a lot cleaner and more clinical. Not sure whether I find it generally preferable for metal across the board or not.