DILEMMA: QUEENSRYCHE? OR CHICAGO POWERFEST?

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
I realize Queensryche really hasn't been that greatly lately (Mindcrime: II notwithstanding). But I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

I just found out they're touring a bit this Spring, with two dates in Michigan, one in Grand Rapids (on May 5) and one in Mt. Clemens (on May 9). We can't make the Grand Rapids date because of another concert. But we could catch them on May 9th.

Therein lies the dilemma. Chicago PowerFest hasn't yet announced any bands, aside from PaganFest USA 2 on Thursday night.

Question: What would you do -- buy tickets to see Queensryche on May 9? Or wait to see what Chicago PowerFest brings?

Wait for the announcement of Chicago Powerfest that way you can weigh youroptions. Or does Queensryche play in Chicago near the date of Chicago Powerfest? Maybe you can swing both?

Hmmm QR.. a band who tours regularly lately... or a festival, that could include bands that rarely tour.

Not a hard choice.

Queensryche! I read on Ticketmaster that they will be playing extended sets derived from the new record, Empire and Rage For Order.

Hmmm QR.. a band who tours regularly lately... or a festival, that could include bands that rarely tour.

Not a hard choice.

I understand the concept, Cherion. But bands in which I have no interest -- even though they rarely tour -- could be one of the variables. It's not the fact that there are rarely-touring bands; it's who they are that matters to me.

Turns out 'Ryche will be in Chicago the very same days as PowerFest (May 7th and 8th, according to their MySpace page). Talk about terrible timing on their part! A band of waning talents going up against a metal fest of increasing reputation.

I'll be in Chicago for PaganFest USA 2 on the 7th. But that's no choice at all. It's PF2 over 'Ryche all the way.

So it comes down to actual bands. The mere concept of rarely-touring bands (with no announcement regarding who they are) isn't enough to prevent me from buying Queensryche tix within a week or so. If PowerFest makes an announcement by then, and I'm interested in the headliner, it's bye-bye Mr. Tate. However, if no announcement is made by then, well...

I would wait and see what Powerfest brings. Queensryche is still a good live band (usually). We saw thenm last year and will be going again in May. But if the festival books someone you really want to see, it would suck to be kicking yourself for jumping on the QR tickets. Besides, unless things are different there then in South Carolina, Queensryche shouldn't sell out (at least not quickly). You can always get tickets later...

Although I'd consider Queensryche the greatest Metal band ever, I would no longer even cross the street to see them live. I was fortunate enough to see them on the Building Empires tour, when they first played O:Mc in its entirety. I'd rather hold on to that memory, than tarnish it by witnessing the shell of the band they've become. Chris is gone, Geoff's voice is mostly gone, and apparently Scott is a direct descendant of Samson, as his hair length and his ability to play drums seem to be linked.

That said, there's no guarantee that CPF will turn out to be a quality show. I'd remain in a holding pattern until the CPF line up is cemented.

Zod

Hopefully they announce something soon. They have Nightwish at Pop's that weekend, Queensryche now, and the big Doom fest in Indiana to compete against. The more they delay it, people will start making other plans. I am hoping for a good line up this year. I think most who used to go to the Powerfest forum before it dried up knows my opinion on the past line ups. Still a well run fest in organization though. Just a bad selection of bands in my opinion. I am hoping for the best this year. It is a good start with Pagan Fest 2.

I am hoping for the best this year. It is a good start with Pagan Fest 2.

2 years ago, Powerfest wouldn't even spit in the direction of any band on Pagan Fest.

So far, the Templars of Doom fest in Indianapolis appeals to me most for that weekend.

We'll see what Powerfest has up their sleeves this year.

I was fortunate enough to see them on the Building Empires tour, when they first played O:Mc in its entirety.

I went to this show in Houston and I still say it was the best show I have ever been to.

That said, there's no guarantee that CPF will turn out to be a quality show. I'd remain in a holding pattern until the CPF line up is cemented.

Zod

What he said.

Although I'd consider Queensryche the greatest Metal band ever, I would no longer even cross the street to see them live. I was fortunate enough to see them on the Building Empires tour, when they first played O:Mc in its entirety.

Zod

I saw that tour, too. It was in Muskegon, Michigan. Early 1990s. An astounding show. O:Mc was mind-blowing.

I've seen them 3-4 times since then, most recently on their Tribes tour in Chicago a few years back. Man, what a disappointment.

O:M2 was a reprieve. I thought it was a great album. But who knows how their new one (scheduled for release in March) will fare?

So far, the Templars of Doom fest in Indianapolis appeals to me most for that weekend.

I hadn't heard of this. But I checked out their MySpace page. Interesting. For me, doom is becoming one of my favorite sub genres of metal.

I've seen them 3-4 times since then, most recently on their Tribes tour in Chicago a few years back. Man, what a disappointment.

I hadn't heard of this. But I checked out their MySpace page. Interesting. For me, doom is becoming one of my favorite sub genres of metal.

Was the TRIBES tour the one with Symphony X opening?
If so, I was there too.
We walked out about 1/2 way through QRs set.

The main attraction for me at Templars of Doom is The Gates of Slumber, who are possibly the greatest traditional doom metal band from the states.

Also, Hounds of Hasselvander feature a Pentagram member, so right there you know you are in for some surprises!

If Diabolik or I were to make that statement, we would get banned from the Powerfest forum!!! Oh wait!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
LOL. Look, if Chris & Rob were being completely honest, they'd admit 2007 was a complete clusterf*ck. How much blame lies on their shoulders and how much was just bad luck, is debatable. Regardless, the headliners were not only underwhelming :)lol:Lethal:lol:), but announced at the last possible minute. I actually ate the cost of two plane tickets and one night's hotel stay, because the only band of interest (Novembers Doom) announced they'd be playing NYC the following week.

Zod