Toto or Queensryche? (Two Chicago-area shows on close dates!)

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Help me with my dilemma. I was all set to go see Queensryche on November 17th at the Star Plaza in Merrillville, Indiana - it's only about 25 minutes from my house.

I just learned yesterday that Toto is playing on November 14th at the House of Blues in Chicago, and a trip to their web site shows it's one of only 4 US dates on their upcoming tour.

Since I can't really justify two concerts in four days, I need to pick one. Do I opt for the once mighty metal band trying their best to hang on to their last shred of relevance, and see a concert never to be repeated again? Or do I to see an even older rock band that recently put out a good record, who is probably great live, but who I might get to see again in the future?

Hmmm. Right now, I'm leaning towards Toto! Any other Chicago peeps thinking about going?

Toto tour: http://www.toto99.com/tourdates/tototour.shtml

Ken

We're not planning to go to either, but given the choice, I'd pick Toto. I'm soooooooooooooo over new Queensryche. I'll spin their old, good stuff, but I don't want to hear or see their new stuff.

sh0kr0k said:
:lol: Well you ridiculed Queensryche and praised Toto.
Sounds like you've already made your decision.

Not really! Queensryche did indeed get off the Relevant Bus several stops ago, but I said Toto was even older. Also noted the Queensryche show is likely to never be seen again, perhaps Toto will tour again in later 2007 or something.

To answer Venom's question, the tix are roughly the same face value (low to mid $30's) but I could get the QR tix without the Ticketbastard service fees by just going to the venue box office, it's close enough. With commute to Chicago for Toto, Toto will cost about $60 so we're talking about $100 to see both shows.

Ken

All I can say is I just saw Ryche again and it was a great show, Geoff was awesome. Mike and Mike were awesome. Like I had said previously now I understand Mindcrime II and can tell now that it was meant for the theatrical performance....Great show!!!

Bear

I would personally take kinda-lame Queensryche over Toto. I actually enjoyed the recent tour, even though Tate's voice was kind of weak. I can appreciate MC2 more, even though I still think it's just so so.

Have fun either way.

:puke: Who the fuck is Toto anyway!? I thought this was a metal forum??? I mean come on people! Sure Queensryche has been weak over the past 10 years, but let's be real. I mean MC2 didn't break any records, but who really thought it would.? I saw the MC2 show and thought it was great. And the venue was packed. So I guess it all depends on the person. If you prefer Toto over Queensryche, then rock on...I guess. Me, I'll pick Queensryche anytime, hands down, and for 1 simple reason; They have done a lot more for metal than Toto! Sure bands like Dream Theater, and so forth, have far surpassed the 'Ryche, but do we have to constantly be reminded of that!? I guess if they were to do a duet with N'Sync at the Super Bowl halftime show, like the beloved Aerosmith did, then maybe everybody would love them.?

etherealsoul said:
:puke: Who the fuck is Toto anyway!? I thought this was a metal forum??? I mean come on people! Sure Queensryche has been weak over the past 10 years, but let's be real. I mean MC2 didn't break any records, but who really thought it would.? I saw the MC2 show and thought it was great. And the venue was packed. So I guess it all depends on the person. If you prefer Toto over Queensryche, then rock on...I guess. Me, I'll pick Queensryche anytime, hands down, and for 1 simple reason; They have done a lot more for metal than Toto! Sure bands like Dream Theater, and so forth, have far surpassed the 'Ryche, but do we have to constantly be reminded of that!? I guess if they were to do a duet with N'Sync at the Super Bowl halftime show, like the beloved Aerosmith did, then maybe everybody would love them.?

Good post dude... All I have to add to that is the Queensryche show I saw last week was way way better than the last Dream Theater show I saw....It was kind of surreal..Stone and Wilton did some seriously badass harmony shredding all over the place and it was HEAVY!!!Geoff was on fire that night!!

Bear

NP: Redemption - The Suffocating Silence

I'd have to say go to Queensryche. If you've never seen the original Operation: Mindcrime performed all the way through then you owe it to yourself to see this tour. This might be the last time they do this and I doubt they'll ever do I & II back to back again. Toto would be cool, but you'll kick yourself in the ass later if you miss this.

Bear said:
Good post dude... All I have to add to that is the Queensryche show I saw last week was way way better than the last Dream Theater show I saw....It was kind of surreal..Stone and Wilton did some seriously badass harmony shredding all over the place and it was HEAVY!!!Geoff was on fire that night!!

Bear

Hhmm I'm thinking the word shred would never pertain to any QR guitar solo...good musicians (DeGarmo was better), but shredders they are not. Better than DT...a band made up of 4 of the most talented musicians in metal within the last 20 yrs? Better than a band who mixes up setlists as to almost never do the same set? Umm ok...opinions do vary greatly. I like QR...they were my fav until DT came along. I still enjoy the hell out of em today...saw them on the tour before releasing OMII & saw the co -headliner with DT. As long as they are playing pre Hear in the Now Frontier material I'm good...past that it gets painful.

BTW - prof...go see Ryche!

etherealsoul said:
:puke: Who the fuck is Toto anyway!? I thought this was a metal forum??? I mean come on people!

Yeah, and some people here actually like stuff that's not metal. Sacrilege, I know.:rolleyes:

It's a legitimate question, IMO. I wasn't at all impressed with their last show, and wouldn't go see it again if they did it here and I won tickets. Glad some others are getting something out of MC II, but I'm not one of that number. *shrug*

Shaye

Ascension said:
Hhmm I'm thinking the word shred would never pertain to any QR guitar solo...good musicians (DeGarmo was better), but shredders they are not. Better than DT...a band made up of 4 of the most talented musicians in metal within the last 20 yrs? Better than a band who mixes up setlists as to almost never do the same set? Umm ok...opinions do vary greatly. I like QR...they were my fav until DT came along. I still enjoy the hell out of em today...saw them on the tour before releasing OMII & saw the co -headliner with DT. As long as they are playing pre Hear in the Now Frontier material I'm good...past that it gets painful.

BTW - prof...go see Ryche!

Yep its all about opinion. I have seen Dream Theater 15 times and Queensryche 16 times now. I did not like the last set list that Dream Theater performed, it sucked. Octavarium in its entirety!!! That was crap...

As for Shredding, dude I have been playing guitar for 25 years and I think maybe that I might have an idea what its all about, hence the name of my website and the way I play. Stone and Wilton were shredding in harmony (remember NM156 & Screamin in Digital?) , wait till you see the DVD.

Oh never said Stone was anywhere as good as Degarmo but he is a thousand times better than Kelly Grey. Edu thought so too, that why he is playing on a an Almah track too

Bear