DILEMMA: QUEENSRYCHE? OR CHICAGO POWERFEST?

Is that from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back? Awesome, underrated movie.

Zod

I think it's from Mallrats. Great F'N movie!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdeiBrg-5rA&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the advice given so far is sound: Wait to see what the Powerfest's lineup will be. Granted, the lineups haven't been too great the last few years. Last year, the only reason people went was for Iced Earth.

If I had to guess, you'd probably be better off going to see Queensryche, but maybe Powerfest will suprise everyone this year. Maybe.

That said, there's no guarantee that CPF will turn out to be a quality show.
If Diabolik or I were to make that statement, we would get banned from the Powerfest forum!!! Oh wait!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I know, right? ;)

:lol:
I don't think the biggest Dream Theater fan in the world even thinks he has a good voice!

Met-Al does too think LaBrie has a great voice! :lol:

I think the advice given so far is sound: Wait to see what the Powerfest's lineup will be. Granted, the lineups haven't been too great the last few years. Last year, the only reason people went was for Iced Earth.

Testament had an even larger crowd than Iced Earth, which I didn't think was possible. Darkane had tons of people watching their set as well, just before Testament.

Testament had an even larger crowd than Iced Earth, which I didn't think was possible. Darkane had tons of people watching their set as well, just before Testament.

any band playing before Testament will have this happen. Darkane are not a draw. You could of had a record player on stage playing a record and still have the same crowd watching. People were just getting thier spot for Testament.
While I am very excited to see who is booked this year. Like I said before....there is so many things going on that weekend.....The Doom Fest, Nightwish at Pops, now Queensrche...announcements better get made or people will plan on the stuff they already know. With past years line ups not being the best....people may not want to risk it.

Exactly as above.
Last years Powerfest was simply an Iced Earth show on one night, and a Testament show on another.

They relied on the drawing power of those bands to allow them to book the metalcore stuff they like. It's their fest, and they can do what they wish. My only complaint is they acted like I was Hitler by claiming afterwards that booking A LIFE ONCE LOST before IE was a bad idea. Maybe they didn't hear the hundreds of "F*ck You's" throughout their set! :lol:

I realize Queensryche really hasn't been that greatly lately (Mindcrime: II notwithstanding). But I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Therein lies the dilemma. Chicago PowerFest hasn't yet announced any bands, aside from PaganFest USA 2 on Thursday night.

Question: What would you do -- buy tickets to see Queensryche on May 9? Or wait to see what Chicago PowerFest brings?
Well, if you're concerned the QR will sell out, why not buy the tickets and if Powerfest has a line-up you'd rather see - sell them. Shouldn't be hard if you really think QR will sell out.

Personally, I've seen them enough, and more bad than good, so I'd pick seeing unknown bands at CPF in hopes of catching something new and exciting over seeing something old, worn and disappointing.

Well, if you're concerned the QR will sell out, why not buy the tickets and if Powerfest has a line-up you'd rather see - sell them. Shouldn't be hard if you really think QR will sell out.

Personally, I've seen them enough, and more bad than good, so I'd pick seeing unknown bands at CPF in hopes of catching something new and exciting over seeing something old, worn and disappointing.

it is a good point. You can always sell your tickets. That is the path I would take. Either way you win. You dont have to worry about the show selling out and then you can wait to see who is booked this year. Either way you have the choice to make up your mind at the last minute. If Powerfest brings in some great bands, you can go to that one and make back your money on the Queensryche tickets.

any band playing before Testament will have this happen. Darkane are not a draw. You could of had a record player on stage playing a record and still have the same crowd watching. People were just getting thier spot for Testament.

Differing opinions on a "festival." Not every band has to have big drawing power at a festival. Who cares if the show featured two huge headliners and smaller support acts. There are plenty of other festivals where I would say "oh, that band certainly couldn't draw a big crowd," which is why all promoters rely on big headliners. CPF just focuses on styles of metal that you are not into, which is why you become so critical of it.

CPF still featured somewhere around 15+ bands over a three-day period. That qualifies as a festival to me, even if I don't have a high opinion of some of them.

I'm excited to see which bands are coming this year. I'm skipping QR at the HOB that week since I've seen them 9 times already, and my wedding is a week after. So it's CPF or nothing depending on the bands.

Exactly as above.
Last years Powerfest was simply an Iced Earth show on one night, and a Testament show on another.

They relied on the drawing power of those bands to allow them to book the metalcore stuff they like. It's their fest, and they can do what they wish. My only complaint is they acted like I was Hitler by claiming afterwards that booking A LIFE ONCE LOST before IE was a bad idea. Maybe they didn't hear the hundreds of "F*ck You's" throughout their set! :lol:

This. I'm sorry to say I did forget about Testament (the other drawing power) but I didn't see them. However, I didn't have to pay for my ticket for the night IE played, which is the only reason I went. Free ticket + seeing IE for the first time.

Al and I arrived during A Life Once Lost's set. All the comments I overheard about them were far from positive.

Anyway, back on topic: AMBR's idea sounds to be fairly solid, especially if QR has a tendency to sell out their Chicago shows. It may be a gamble, as there's no guarantee they'll sell out this time, but it seems to be a good suggestion.

Differing opinions on a "festival." Not every band has to have big drawing power at a festival. Who cares if the show featured two huge headliners and smaller support acts. There are plenty of other festivals where I would say "oh, that band certainly couldn't draw a big crowd," which is why all promoters rely on big headliners. CPF just focuses on styles of metal that you are not into, which is why you become so critical of it.

CPF still featured somewhere around 15+ bands over a three-day period. That qualifies as a festival to me, even if I don't have a high opinion of some of them.

I'm excited to see which bands are coming this year. I'm skipping QR at the HOB that week since I've seen them 9 times already, and my wedding is a week after. So it's CPF or nothing depending on the bands.

I understand how a festival works. I would rather see one big name act and lots of smaller acts. But the smaller acts that are usually picked are definetly not to my liking. They have had quality acts before...Suidakra, who I was most excited for last year. They had even though I am not a fan...Saturnus, BioMechanical, Morgana Lefay, Thurisaz, Benediction, and many more. last years choices really moved them out of the pure metal style and into more metalcore.
I am not trying to turn this into a anti-powerfest thread. These are just opinions and points. For me it is always the middle level acts who I enjoy seeing the most at any fest. They are the ones who I am usually a fan of. From it being Alehorn, Milwaukee Metalfest or Powerfest. I had more fun last year just talking to everyone. I am truely hoping this years will be good. Form lessons learned through the years...I think that this year they may strike gold....or even silver.

Good points, both. I was thinking of springing for the tickets to see Queensryche on Saturday, May 9 -- then hoping (for my sake) CPF doesn't offer anything must-see past PaganFest USA 2 on Thursday night.

Has anyone else noticed how much happens the first week of May? For me and Elisabeth, it'll be a whirlwind:

May 2: Nightwish in New York
May 4: Dalai Lama in New York (what the heck since we're there already)
May 5: The Dead in Chicago
May 7: PaganFest USA 2 in Chicago
May 9: Queensryche in Mt. Clemens

And that doesn't count CPF, Templars of Doom in Indy, 'Ryche appearing in Grand Rapids on the 5th (which would be a no-brainer if not for The Dead in Chicago that night)...and God knows how many other concerts.

I'm not a metal promoter. But there has to be a reason for the flurry of tours/festivals occurring in early May. Do the prices of venues increase after May? Do bands not like to tour during the heat of Summer? Do bands spend the Summer relaxing and/or recording new material? It just seems like everything overlaps in early May -- with the notable exception of PPUSA X, which is positioned just right in the year.

i just wish things were spaced out a little more. We'll be wiped out until PPUSA thanks to our way-too-eclectic interests in May.

There's definitely a pattern for tours here in the states. Spring is always heavy as bands get a "warm-up" tour in before the summer festivals in Europe. Then there's the "mop-up" tours in the fall. December/January and even February is usually pretty dead as most bands seem to take this time out from touring to spend holidays with the family and, probably, less people come out in cold weather. This just seems to be the pattern from my experience.