Toto or Queensryche? (Two Chicago-area shows on close dates!)

Bear said:
As for Shredding, dude I have been playing guitar for 25 years and I think maybe that I might have an idea what its all about, hence the name of my website and the way I play. Stone and Wilton were shredding in harmony (remember NM156 & Screamin in Digital?) , wait till you see the DVD.

Bear

So...you would rate Stone/Wilton's masterful shredding performance above a John Petrucci performance?
It's my belief that you'll never see those 2 on a G3 tour...l could be wrong.

Ascension said:
So...you would rate Stone/Wilton's masterful shredding performance above a John Petrucci performance?
It's my belief that you'll never see those 2 on a G3 tour...l could be wrong.

You obviously take me wrong...Never would I even compare them to each other....

I saw G3 3 times. Petrucci is masterful we all know that. The more I grow as a player and the older I get however, his playing it seems as has become mostly mechanical. I am watching Score right now, and its all like numbers now, alot of the feeling is gone from the early years in my opinion.

I am into the likes of Vinnie Mooore, Greg Howe, Tony Macalpine, Schenker too and I think all of those guys could show Petucci a lesson in feeling. Again just my opinion

Bear

I really agree with you on the last post Bear. I feel Petrucci's playing has really left the emotion, and feeling, and become really mechanical sounding. INCREDIBLE no doubt, but man where is the heart and soul in his playing nowadays!!??

Its like they got this amazing legion of fans who would spend 1,000s on buying there shitty underwear, and know that they can release an album of burping if they want and the fans will go rabid.

Also as posted elsewhere someone mentioned how they tour way too much, and then just enter the studio and hit the record button. IMO this has pummeled them in the songwriting category.

Such a shame. I always said DT should look at old DT for inspiration corner.

Some will say I need to move on and get over it, but thats my opinion.

OK it's not metal, but here are some clips from Toto's newest, so everyone can make an informed decision:

http://www.toto99.com/multimedia/fib/Toto01.mp3

http://www.toto99.com/multimedia/fib/Toto04.mp3

http://www.toto99.com/multimedia/fib/Toto07.mp3

Ken, I'm pretty sure you've seen both of these groups before?
If not, then it's makes it easier, go see QR. As one who has sworn off QR because of past tours,( I said never again after the last. The memories were being butchered), I plan on seeing this tour.

I didn't read all of this thread but the Queensryche tour really isn't a "once in a lifetime" show. Their last tour featured two parts. Operation: Mindcrime in it's entirety from beginning to end along with a bunch of their other stuff prior. I think it was like a 2 hr setlist. Considering most don't even like the new record, that probably would have been a better show. I missed it because I had already spent too much on various concerts around the same time.

Jibrille said:
I didn't read all of this thread but the Queensryche tour really isn't a "once in a lifetime" show. Their last tour featured two parts. Operation: Mindcrime in it's entirety from beginning to end along with a bunch of their other stuff prior. I think it was like a 2 hr setlist. Considering most don't even like the new record, that probably would have been a better show. I missed it because I had already spent too much on various concerts around the same time.

Queensryche is still doing the Operation: Mindcrime II Tour. Just three weeks ago they came through Texas with the whole production. I missed it and could kick myself because it's not just another show for them. :erk:

I've seen both these bands this year and both were awesome...i'm sure the US version of the ryche tour will be visually better than what they brought down to Australia too.

You can't go wrong with either....Tate is a vocal god....and Toto are awesome musicians who really shine in the live environment...Luke kicks ass, great vocal harmonies....and they do an awesome version of Roseanna....and the song 'Falling In Between' :headbang:

See Toto.....

Ryche will play all the same stuff they played the last five times they came through (except for the new album..... and however you feel about that)

And Tate was a vocal god.....

The band has put out some groundbreaking and epic pieces..... but its way past time to give up the ghost already.....

Actually, I like both bands, but you can't compare the two. I'd do my best to attend both shows if I were you. Toto are supertight live, believe it or not and Ryche is great live too. IMO, if you want to attend two great shows from two great, classic bands, then balls it up and go to both! :heh: :headbang:

Burke said:
See Toto.....

Ryche will play all the same stuff they played the last five times they came through (except for the new album..... and however you feel about that)

And Tate was a vocal god.....

The band has put out some groundbreaking and epic pieces..... but its way past time to give up the ghost already.....

I disagree. The last three times I have seen them, they have kicked ass...

Bear said:
I disagree. The last three times I have seen them, they have kicked ass...

Whoa lemme clarify, Bear....

I have always been a huge Ryche fan (have Rage for Order here with me at work) and always will be.

Not this last time, but the two/three times before that, I have seen them each time they came through and they put on good to great shows. Not slamming their recent lives shows at all in terms of the quality of live show they cans till do..

What I am saying is, they are not offering anything new there - if you want to see them play the same stuff AGAIN and are cool with that, don't hesitate - go check 'em out.

MY opinion is just that I don't need to see Mindcrime played in its entirely YET AGAIN and then get maybe two/three songs from the catalog (don't waste a slot on Jet City Woman....... c'mon.... ) and that's it.

What they seem to be able to do is try and bottle the past and present it on stage and they can still do that well. But as for the future and doing new stuff that is exciting and captiviating....... I have not heard anything new from them in years that really moves me at all and their latest effort is to go and do a sequel to an album that doesn't really need a sequel (IMO). [trying to dust off old discs to listen to hear at work and actually brought in Hear/Now Frontier and tried listening to that for a few weeks..... GOD that is a lousy album....]

All I was saying as that I have seen the dog and pony show the last three times it came through - and it really ain't changed much at all. My advice was that if the guy had the chance to see another show that he truly might not be able to catch the band again down the line, he go for THAT.
:kickass:

So you missed OM:II? Its new and it was pretty badass. I didnt like the album when I first heard it, I didnt get it. After seeing the tour a couple weeks ago, it was oibvious to me they wrote that album specifically for the live theatrical show and I understand it, even though some of that shit was just way way wierd, but its a good wierd. I actually look forward to seeing the DVD when it comes out.

Bear