dimmu borgir: love them or hate them?

themooseisloose said:
so whats the general opinion of dimmu borgir here?...

Probably one of the most talented bands in metal today. They are getting a bad rap though I think. Alot of people are bashing them because they have found some success. Or they say that people who are just now discovering Dimmu are not tr00 blackmetal. Sorry but I am one who does not put all these labels on real metal music. I either like it or I don't.

DCA is a masterpiece IMO.

mjollnir1965 said:
Probably one of the most talented bands in metal today. They are getting a bad rap though I think. Alot of people are bashing them because they have found some success. Or they say that people who are just now discovering Dimmu are not tr00 blackmetal. Sorry but I am one who does not put all these labels on real metal music. I either like it or I don't.

DCA is a masterpiece IMO.

i disagree about DCA, i am not a big fan of it, it's good and all, but SBD is a much better album, heck, most of their other albums are better
DCA tried new things which is nice, but compositionally i thought it was much more basic, especially with the keyboards, i thought they were toned down a lot
i think the whole new aspect of their image with naked women is a bit cheesy too
they're relatively talented, but i think that there's much better stuff out there

and they underuse Simen way way too much... the 2 songs on DCA are not enough... we need more stuff like The insight and the catharsis

I love them, they`re one of my favorite black metal bands..and they are awesome live, and DCA is a kickass album! woooahhhh :headbang:

Great Band!!

Own all their albums and stuff. One of my favourite Bands together with Borknagar, Dissection and Vintersorg

Dimmu is one of my favourite bands, but I'm still undecided about DCA. I like it, but I like the older albums better. It might just take some time to grow on me.

Eire

I like Dimmu, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me "No relevance to Borknagar..." in a whispery voice. :confused:

themooseisloose said:
i disagree about DCA, i am not a big fan of it, it's good and all, but SBD is a much better album, heck, most of their other albums are better
DCA tried new things which is nice, but compositionally i thought it was much more basic, especially with the keyboards, i thought they were toned down a lot
i think the whole new aspect of their image with naked women is a bit cheesy too
they're relatively talented, but i think that there's much better stuff out there

and they underuse Simen way way too much... the 2 songs on DCA are not enough... we need more stuff like The insight and the catharsis

SBD is a great album but I hate the production. I'm sorry but I think you can still have a good atmosphere and a crispy production. I think Astennu is by far a better guitarist than Galder when it comes to solos but I need good sound quality. I even think that For All Tid and Stormblast have better production. SBD is so blurry. That's just my opinion. I don't really like the production on any album I have heard recorded in Abyss studios. Quintessence could have been produced better IMO. Maybe it's just how I like things to sound. I like crisp, polished production.

Eire said:
Dimmu is one of my favourite bands, but I'm still undecided about DCA. I like it, but I like the older albums better. It might just take some time to grow on me.

Eire
I agree with this, I havent heard DCA enough to know how I feel yet. It usually takes me a few weeks before I decided how much I like a cd

I didn't like DCA much when I first heard it, and thought it a it of a disappointment after PEM. But over time, it's grown on me, and it's now one of their better albums IMHO. Yes, Simen is underused, and it's lacking a song with the epic qualities of say "Kings of the carnival creation", but it's still my most heavily played album at the moment. I agree with mjollnir1965 about SBD, though. Great songwriting, but I didn't like the blurry production.

Scott W. said:
I agree with this, I havent heard DCA enough to know how I feel yet. It usually takes me a few weeks before I decided how much I like a cd
That's the same for me, it's somewhat good music, but not in my genre, though on occasion I listen to COF, Anal Cunt, and Agoraphobic Manslaughter. I'd rather spend my money on better more talented bands, though i respect them they don't suffice for my headbangage.

Dimmu Borgir was the first Black Metal and i got to know.
If i haven´t liked Dimmu Borgir, i would probably never heard something about Borknagar.

Still i like the interessting and complex music of Dimmu Borgir.
I think that most of the "true black metal" bands are boring and i often don´t like their opinions.

i really like them. the only thing i really hate about DCA is the underuse of vortex.

speaking of vortex, does he have any other side projects at the moment? i forgot to ask him when i met him after the dimmu show in atlanta a couple weeks ago.