dimmu borgir: love them or hate them?

Well, I have the EDT and couple of other albums. In EDT there are real good songs, but I don't like SBD. To me, all this "image" thing is way too stupid. Drinking blood (!!! liquified ketchup?) is so cheesy. They are a music band, they should do what they're supposed to do.

A while ago I really didn't think much about them. After, I saw them live a couple of weeks ago I can honestly say I really like them. They're not my favorite band but I enjoy their stuff.

Yes, shoot me for saying this...but I just listened to Dimmu Borgir on a wide scale a couple days ago. I've heard maybe one or two songs in the past, but the funny thing is I've likedOld Man's Child for a really long time not even knowing he was in Dimmu Borgir! Anyways I saw their video for (Dimmu Borgir's) and I must say, that has brought me intloving them! I really like that video. It's professionalized which you never really get those videos in many metal bands nowadays.

By the way, I'm having a problem when I try to type these posts. the background of where I am typing is black so I can't see what I write. I just type it and hope I don't screw up tooo much. Anyone have answers as to why this is happening?
Oh yeahand when I meant he (For Old Mans Child) I meant Galdar....the singer. I can't I can't see shit so I I can't edit that sentence out that Imade a type-o in.
Back with a second edit..Ahhhhh nevermind....

TB666 said:
I think Borknagar and Dimmu can't be compaired to each other. They are 2 different kinds of bands.

true

it was more of simply a personal preference

i think that dimmu's earlier records are better than their more recent work....with the exception of the recording quality of course

One thing I will say for DCA is that I really appreciate the incorporation of a wider variety of orchestral elements on this album. In fact, I think that a lot of the orchestral bits sound fantastic - really tasteful and well-produced.
I do agree with the comments that Vortex is underused. His vocals on Progenies of the Great Apocalypse are heart-stopping.

I wouldn't place them near the top of my list, but they are interesting to some degree. I'm not a big fan of most albums produced in Abyss records, definately more of a fan of dirty production, but I understand with much of the new music which is "melodic" and more epic in certain songs, that the cleaner sound helps. I do agree with others that say Borknagar is better, I definately think they capture the more majestic and epic feel. Hell if they had a whole album filled with songs like Colossus, I don't thinK I'd ever stop listening to it.

As far as Dimmu is concerned, I'm not really one of those people who thinks that any kind of progress or "evolution" in a bands career automatically equates to better music. I'm definately not a fan of COF, so I just hope DB don't get to crazy with the "melodic" elements, once you lose the harshness behind the music it just isn't guite the same.

Dimmu has made a "good" album since Stormblast. Theyve detiorated to a boring and repetetive band full of silly cliches. Simen needs to quit Dimmu and start a band of his own where his talents can truly be appreciated.

FailingAcension said:
I'd like to add that I think Dimmu used the orchestra much better the CoF used theirs. BUT, Simen wasn't used enough.
Yea. CoF used to be good.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Dimmu has made a "good" album since Stormblast. Theyve detiorated to a boring and repetetive band full of silly cliches. Simen needs to quit Dimmu and start a band of his own where his talents can truly be appreciated.

Yes that would be awesome if Simen did that!! Unfortunately he's busy headlining sold out shows across the USA right now. So I'm guessing he's happy with his success.

I always thought he left the better band when he joined dimmu.

I personally think that Dimmu Borgir is black metal for little children. Their use of keyboards is a cheap and unchallenging version of what Emperor and Borknagar do so well. I hope I didn't offend anyone, just stating my opinion.

Agreed, but how else do little children get into metal. when i was thirteen or fourteen, the first black metal id heard were Cradle of filth and dimmu borgir, because they are quite mainstream, i fucking loved them. but then i found myself wanted harder heavier music and so discovered bands like morbid angel, borknagar, my dying bride, necrophagia etc. what im saying is i think dimmu are still good, and along with bands like cradle are a good way for kids to make the transition from listening to cock rock into the darker world of metal, and then discover great bands. and anyway i still listen to dimmu, its kinda nostalgic, and im 19 now!!!

Good point. Maybe I'm just biased. I mean, Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" and Mayhems "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" were the first BM albums I ever heard and I was 13 at the time, a very impressionable age. Dimmu was just a band I heard later on so of course I was disappointed in what I heard. I just think that albums like "Anthems", "IX Equilibrium", and "Quintessence" have so much more to offer, musically and lyrically, than say, "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant."

My first BM band was also Dimmu Borgir and the album SBD and I think DB is one of the best BM bands today.
I don't consider Borknagar as an BM band so they aren't my favorite BM band.

i saw dimmu last night

they put on a good show and had a good setlist for the most part (could have played more old stuff)

vortex is so fucking sold out though, he spit blood all over me and a bunch of my friends, which i'm cool with getting that shit on me and all, but not cool that it came from vortex

oh well....($$$$$$$$$$$) it was a sold out show... just like everything else on the tour