dimmu borgir: love them or hate them?

KazigluBey said:
I'm definately not a fan of COF, so I just hope DB don't get to crazy with the "melodic" elements, once you lose the harshness behind the music it just isn't guite the same.
Dimmu have always been more symphonic and melodic than CoF. Even aside from CoF anyway, Dimmu have always been very dramatic with their keyboards.

SculptedCold said:
Dimmu have always been more symphonic and melodic than CoF. Even aside from CoF anyway, Dimmu have always been very dramatic with their keyboards.

I think cradle are quite dramatic. all those tales of bloodlust, carpathian mountains and the like. and who can forget an entire album devoted to the "tragic" life of Elizabeth Bathory!!! :D

If i had to choose one over the other i would choose cradle. and just because they are the cheesiest black metal band and they are the first to admit it!!!!

replicator said:
One of the best band in the business today, and DCA is a masterpiece, simple as that.

i don't think it's a masterpiece at all

the production is great and all, but the keyboards are used in an incredibly basic manner compared to many bands, for starters, compare dimmu's keyboards to borknagar

while it does have great production, it strays way to far away from the black metal roots that dimmu came from, and doesn't have the atmosphere of spiritual black dimensions to make up for it (with the exception of progenies). i think DCA is good, but far from their best, and definitely NOT a masterpiece. oh, and vortex is WAY too underused... 2 songs doesn't cut it... but he was great live in all the songs he sang in... with the exception of kings of the carnival creation

themooseisloose said:
i don't think it's a masterpiece at all

the production is great and all, but the keyboards are used in an incredibly basic manner compared to many bands, for starters, compare dimmu's keyboards to borknagar
I dunno like. Dimmu's keyboards are a bit over the top. some people like their metal to be a little more subtle. which i why i like bork so much. Although I have to say, as far a lyrics go dimmu have it all wrapped up "I am pure, I am true, i am all over you"!!!!!!!!! :loco: