Dinner on Friday the 3rd of Oct.

Cello

Promoted to Hannibal
Nov 14, 2007
Bovenkarspel, Netherlands
For as far as I know (only been there 2x before, this'll be my 3rd) it's a bit of a tradition to eat out at the Chinese place in Baarlo on the starting day of the festival. Usually this is done at a reasonable dinnertime, but seeing as doors open on friday at 18:30h, I assume that we'll be eating early that day. Perhaps the chinese people won't have too much trouble fitting us in then, cos of us being early :p

Anyways, I was just wondering who would be joining us there? Usually, from what I've noticed, it's the swedes + whoever we can dig up at Castle de Berckt. If you have no idea of what I'm talking about and would like to join in on this once-in-a-year event, or if you just enjoy seeing startled, frightened Chinese people hiding behind their counters in fear when their restaurant gets stormed by a mob of metalheads dressed in black, you're more than welcome to tag along :) On top of that, it's a good way to get to know the people that are staying at the Castle with you, and it's not expensive :)

Me and my gf will be there, who will join us? :kickass:

Tentatively, me and my girlfriend. Friday might be busy though, so we don't know yet.

Hi,

We really can recommend this restaurant to you, it is one of the best Chinese restaurants in The Netherlands, maybe even in Europe. I will ask them if you should make a reservation, than we can take care of this. I will keep you posted on this.

Rene

I second what Rene said... it's by far the best Chinese restaurant we've ever eaten in, nothing in the UK matches it. If you don't go for the buffet menu and just go for the normal menu (like we do), don't worry, the portions are HUGE, and will fill you up for the whole weekend... with just a few frikandels and krokets from the catering tent outside the Sjiwa to keep the energy up! Just don't get confused with the Chinese just up the road from the Sjiwa (as this one isn't a patch on the Peiking Garden, which is on the main road through Baarlo & right on the junction where you turn in to get to the Sjiwa). We made this mistake in the first year we went & wondered what everyone was raving about!

Sp¦atter and I will be there even if we have to leave at 4am to make it - I can say that since I like morning and don't have to drive ;P

Reservations are a good idea... last year they had lots of room and food but we ended up moving tables and were a bit in the way. Surely with some planning they can do a better job of positioning us at tables of 8-12 people.

The food is GREAT. There's even dessert, but without Leggie chanting, "Ananas! Ananas!" it won't be as sweet ;)

Cyberfloat already announced three of us, but count in two more, because we'll be five in total.