Discuss Character's artwork

Siren

Dec 6, 2001
I just bought Character LE digi today. I wasn't even going to make much of a deal about it, until i noticed the brain and the labyrinth (inner ear) in the booklet. I was so excited that i thought it deserved a thread. :D :hotjump: :D

I also noticed the red thingie that looks like muscles and something that looks like a watch near its corner.. So i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it.

Another thing that i liked about the digi is the way the black colour shines..

To get it over with: Just post anything you want about the artwork in this thread, whether it is how much you like it, or how much it sucks, or any deeper thoughts you might have or not have on it.

Siren said:
i noticed the brain and the labyrinth (inner ear) in the booklet. I was so excited that i thought it deserved a thread. :D :hotjump: :D

it surely does! I´ve been thinking about that brain. Why? Whos?
And regarding the inner ear, why is the middle ear left out, with the transducting bones? Hmmmmm...

-Andreas (whiskey + strange things on the Internet might not be such a good combination after all...)

The booklet gives me rather strong Matrix-vibes, mostly the spread with the lyrics for Dry run and Am I 1?(it reminds me of those robots who looks like octopuses), the Mind matters-page and the last spread. I also sense a little of H.R Giger in a few pages. I think the cover is the best DT-cover this far.

Phyros said:
And regarding the inner ear, why is the middle ear left out, with the transducting bones? Hmmmmm...
And why both the hearing and the equilibrium part of the inner ear? Why not just the cochlea? Is Sundin trying to make a point about balance or he just didn't have a clue and threw it all in? o_O

TheFourthHorseman said:
The one thing I don't really like about the album is the booklet. It's just a mish-mash of colours with seemingly no relation to the songs, with the exception of the picture on the Dry Run page. The lyrics being in a row song by song is stylistically neat I suppose, but not very practical. There's the net, of course. I'm kind of disappointed in that respect anyway.

The jewel case cover is great.

Siren said:
And why both the hearing and the equilibrium part of the inner ear? Why not just the cochlea? Is Sundin trying to make a point about balance or he just didn't have a clue and threw it all in? o_O

That, my dear, is a good question... The thing with "didn't have a clue" cannot be true, since we know that Niklas is almighty, so there HAS to be a point somwhere....right?

Eeer... Still interesting though... because without the bones there would be no sound (or, well, there would be sound, just not loud enough to hear, right?) the balance is important though, and actually works without the Incus, Malleus (spl?) and the Stirrup... SO, this might be reverse psycology! He says that balance is more important than sound, thus giving us no choice but to say that sound, and music, is more important, forcing us to drink more whiskey (to get rid of that awfull balance) and listen to DT.

Hmmm... I'll do that. Now.

-Andreas (Doing it!)

As TFH copy/pasted his comment from the other thread here, I think I need to do the same for my reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFourthHorseman
The one thing I don't really like about the album is the booklet. It's just a mish-mash of colours with seemingly no relation to the songs, with the exception of the picture on the Dry Run page. The lyrics being in a row song by song is stylistically neat I suppose, but not very practical. There's the net, of course. I'm kind of disappointed in that respect anyway.

As someone who pays quite a lot of attention to the lyrics (especially in DT's case) I agree with the notion that having them in a row is not too user-friendly. However, other than that I think the booklet is great. I especially like the first opening with the lyrics for The New Build and the picture of Mikael half-crouching on the wet "street" with the haunting buildings on the background - it really gives me a very cold feeling of being suppressed and creates a wonderful contrast with the emotional, aggressive outburst that is The New Build. The usage of black, white and red colour in the booklet is very effective, although I probably must admit there could be more variation overall.

Could someone enlighten us not-so-autopsy-oriented people, where is this inner ear thing? Is it that thing at the top of the "One Thought" -page?

-Villain (doctor, not a physician :p)

@Villain: Yeah, One thought page, on the top right corner. :)
The bottom part is the cochlea (the one that looks like a spiral) and it's used for hearing, while the rest of it (3 semicircular canals + vestibule) is the equilibrium part.

@Phyros: I was thinking more of what happens after the inner ear, which wouldn't need the ossicles. And the lines that leave the labyrinth could be some sort of representation of the nerves..

well nice booklet indeed
but the only strange thing are the last 2 pages:
where there are the band-mebers pics, this THe NICKLASSON; THE STANNE; THE JIVARP and so on...
What is the intention of the band to present us as THE THE`s???
I like the second page with this red mind matters-tower who is pointing out of nothing into the air wheres a bloodstorm raging. great picture
reminds me of the citadel of half-life 2

Overall - booklet is great :worship: However, there is no new band's pics - just the ones taken from live gigs... they look like been put in the last moment :err: Reason?

rahvin said:
it might be an attempt at humor. personally, i voted for "teh".

They should have made a misprint there for "Teh Stanne" :loco: For some reason I think that one could be funny :D

Whoa! Phyros is still around. Hi! :wave:

solefald said:
well nice booklet indeed
but the only strange thing are the last 2 pages:
where there are the band-mebers pics, this THe NICKLASSON; THE STANNE; THE JIVARP and so on...
What is the intention of the band to present us as THE THE`s???
I like the second page with this red mind matters-tower who is pointing out of nothing into the air wheres a bloodstorm raging. great picture
reminds me of the citadel of half-life 2

Perhaps the archetypes that exist to create the "character" of Dark Tranquillity?

My LE copy of Character didn't come. :(

The online store didn't even process my orders. :cry: