Discuss the new Katatonia

Superior to NITND after a few listens. Leech is the only song that doesn't really stick. There is more musical variety on this release, though mayhaps less variety in the vocal arrangements.

Certainly the last 2 albums haven't had any riffs that go straight for the neck like Increase, or as memorable as any other track from TGCD. Both recent albums are far too fluffy and anemic, and not anemic in the way Discouraged Ones pulled off so effortlessly well.

I haven't listened to it yet. I'm not liking the opinions I'm seeing though...I thought NITND was a fucking amazing album, possibly their best. But based on the two songs I've heard from the new one I am not so eager...

Is it just me or do any bands that have this kinda balance between heavy and mellow hit a "tipping point" and then just collapse afterwards?

I've only listened to the album 3/4 times, but it's easily some of the best stuff Katatonia has written. And it is a phenomenal record. I remember reading guitarist Blakkheim had writers block on Night is The New Day and left majority of the writing to Jonas, but this record is more guitar oriented and it seems like a high point for the band musically, the guitar playing is progressive beautiful and just awesome. Add the drumming is insane. Vocally it is great. As much as I like the atmosphere and vibe of Night Is The New Day. Dead End Kings is a better record. And it is better than The Great Cold Distance also. All these albums are some of katatonia's best regardless. Discouraged Ones,Tonight's Decision are great records, but it is amazing how musically and vocally the band has progressed over the years. Frank Default's keyboards,piano, and samples really fit the band's music and vocals perfect. He might aswell just join the band live.

After going through the album, I really think it's a fantastic release. Like I said in the "albums kicking your ass" thread, Katatonia turned into what Opeth SHOULD have been.