Flaming Death

It must have been strange
Jul 23, 2002
VA
www.dalenet.com
Faust Parts With Dissection!

» posted on 12-10-2003 @ 11:52 AM
by [ slasher ]

Ex-EMPEROR drummer Bård "Faust" Eithun has split with DISSECTION, according to [url]www.BWBK.com[/url]. Here's the report:

"After a meeting in Stockholm recently with Jon Nodtveidt (guitarist/vocalist), it is clear that I am not going to participated further in DISSECTION. This is a result of a mutual agreement between Jon and me and we part as friends.

There came to a point where I felt I had to compromise my own philosophy of life and maybe even go against some of my personal views and ideas. Evidently, the concept and the ideology was more emphasized and underlined in the band than I was originally aware of. In my eyes, the Satanic concept got totalitarian and it shaped the rest of band. Eventually, it all reminds me more of a cult than a band with individual musicians. My intention with DISSECTION was primarily musical; I viewed it as an honor to perform the old classic tracks as well as the new ones Jon has made during the last years. For me, anything else comes secondly, and it would be wrong to put a lot of my time and energy into something I couldn`t fully represent. Not to mention, it would be a waste of the rest of the band`s time and energy as well.

It`s very unfortunate that it came to this ending and I wish Jon the best of luck finding musicians that can stand behind the band 100%.”

I think Dissection and Jon has awesome music but he needs to think more about the music than the satanic themes. I guess Faust wasnt evil enough for him. This gives me worries about the new Dissection album. I hope it has good music.

this is from the official Dissection website. www.dissection.nu

FAUST LEAVES DISSECTION BECAUSE OF THE SATANIC CONCEPT
fillImg.gif
After a meeting with Jon in Stockholm, Sweden, drummer Bård "Faust" Eithun has explained that he has been tense about what impression the whole deal with Dissection would do to him in practice and that he has come to the conclusion that he can't stand behind and live up to the demands of Dissection's Satanic concept, with the inevitable result that he has to leave the band. A decision Faust and Jon made in mutual agreement after discussing the problem.

Jon gives his statement: "There are only two alternatives for us; doing Dissection wholeheartedly and with complete devotion, or not at all."

Faust further explains the problem of him not being able to stand behind the band's satanic ideology and that it has no practical meaning in his life.
"My relation to Dissection is simply musical", Faust declares. "The problem occurs when the band takes form more as a cult where there are rules for behavious and strict codes." Faust also states that he initially didn't realize how strong the satanic influence on Dissection actually was.

Jon explains that he has tried to be as clear as possible when emphasizing the concept of Dissection to Faust. "Faust should definitely have realized from the start what we were about. Dissection is a satanic band period."

"I don't ask from anyone to be anything else than himself", Jon continues, "but if a member of the band isn't capable of living up to the ideology and giving the band his full and wholehearted dedication, then I see no other option than us going separate ways, really. I can only show Faust my appreciation for being open and honest about it at an early stage, because now we can go on and look for someone who is right for the band before we record our forthcoming album. I further wish Faust the best of luck for the future."

Consequently, Dissection is at the moment without a permanent drummer. Jon concludes: "We are right now looking for someone who is just right for the band, musically and ideologically."​

I'm totally behind Faust in this matter, and I respect him for doing this. Afterall, why promote views that you don't agree with?

I particularly admire how he left because he was in it for the music, and not the subject matter, which means a lot to me, because I hate how a lot of metal is about bands views rather than the music itself.

I now have a lot more respect for Faust as a musician, and I hope he soon finds a project where he can express himself musically before anything else.

I greatly applaud him!

Interesting. For some reason I would have thought that Faust would be more into satanic ideology and all that than Jon, having been part of the whole Norwegian black metal movement, which almost had more to do with ideology than music. I didn't know that Dissection was such as seriously satanic band. I have Storm Of The Light's bane, and it is one of my top five favorite albums of all time, so I will definitely be getting the new Dissection CD when it comes out, regardless of anything.

Life Sucks said:
Interesting. For some reason I would have thought that Faust would be more into satanic ideology and all that than Jon, having been part of the whole Norwegian black metal movement, which almost had more to do with ideology than music. I didn't know that Dissection was such as seriously satanic band. I have Storm Of The Light's bane, and it is one of my top five favorite albums of all time, so I will definitely be getting the new Dissection CD when it comes out, regardless of anything.
Well, prison does rehabilitate and make one look at their lives in a different manner.

I'm not sure this all makes sense. Is Jon saying that he's actually satanic? I had no idea anyone took the ideology as a lifestyle in the Black Metal scene, figuring it was more for the music than anything else. At least the whole satanic thing.

No WAY is Faust a Christian, but neither is he a 'satanist'. From interviews I've read, it sounds like he's simply critical of things that cannot be proven - ie. agnostic.

He doesn't see the reason to follow any deity, Satan or anything else. He sounds like a pretty intelligent and self-thinking person, not someone who just adopts the satan image along with the musical style. And like I've said, I appluad him for following his own beliefs.

Faust is a brilliant brilliant man. I definitely see how his ideas would clash with the satanism of Dissection. Faust's idealogy is practical while the whole satanism thing really isn't. And for the record, I think Dissection's massive push for über-satanism is quite ridiculous.

Life Sucks said:
I'm surprised that Faust is actually an intelligent man, being a hatefilled murderer and all.....
Some of histories greatest murderers have been brilliant people...
Personally I agree with what Jon said, everyone should be able to tell by their lyrical stance along with interviews that Dissection is nothing but satanic... afterall Jon's involved in that Misanthropic Luciferian Order.

With that said I respect Faust's decision greatly and look forward to his next contribution to the music world. oh yeah Emperor never adopted the whole dark satanic angle like Mayhem and everyone else did, perhaps that goes to explaining why Faust wasn't keen on it.

If you want to know where Fausts head is at regarding religion, just read the lyrics to the Zyklon albums, he wrote them.