Dissection news

Sorath said:
Unless I'm mistaken, 7 years is the official maximum penalty for murder in Sweden, so I guess both Jon and Vlad was sentenced for other crimes as well.

Thanks for correcting me where I was wrong, MP-AKK

Wasn't Jon arrested dually for manslaughter/being an accessory to the murder and also for ownership of illegal weaponry? Vlad on the other hand was also facing charges in relation to a teenage girl, (or was said to be) so perhaps that added on to whatever sentence he received in regards to the Algerian?

Taken from the Dissection homepage:

These are the hard facts to the contrary of all sensational speculations in the tabloid press/media.

On the 18th of December 1997, Jon together with fellow MLO-brother Vlad was arrested and accused for having shot a 37-year old homosexual man to death with two shots on July the 22, 1997. The 37-year old man was killed out of anger because he had harassed the two accues men.

While Jon and Vlad by mutual agreement did their best to mislead the police investigating the shooting by telling different stories, staying true to this mutual agreement and their brotherhood, they would also learn that some of their earlier so-called "brothers" and "friends" were stabbing their backs. For example former Dissection guitarist and MLO member Johan Norman, with his girlfriend, actively helped the police and the prosecutor to nail Jon and Vlad, by telling everything he could as well as fabricating the most exaggerated and unbelievable lies. This was the biggest possible betrayal and treachery from someone both Jon and Vlad before had regarded as one of their closest brothers and friends. It was obviously not enough for Johan to run away, hide from and betray everything that Dissection and MLO stood for. Now he would openly and in public take his duplicity to new heights. Johan and his girlfriend was also assisted by, among others, Nils Karlén (all defectors from the MLO) in their cowardly acts of public defamation and betrayal during the trial.

Jon and Vlad were more or less on trial for being Satanists and thus supposed "dangerous persons", proved (note the irony here) by testimonies from betraying "friends" such as Johan as well as the prosecutor's and police's manic efforts to, in front of the court, paint the worst possible picture of the two accused men. The prosecutor was displaying "evidence" of Jon's and Vlad's Satanic beliefs, things that didn't have a thing to do with the crime that they were accused for, like pictures of their personal Satanic altars and Satanic/Occult paraphernalia from their homes to show the court what kind of "extreme" persons Jon and Vlad were and how deeply devoted they were to Satanism. Turning absolutely everything they could come up with against the two.

Well, of course they were Satanists! They didn't deny that, but being a Satanist is not a crime! But it nevertheless made them look real bad and, with the lack of hard evidence, this definitely was crucial to their conviction. The distasteful reveling in the case and the speculations by the sensationalistic judeo-christian media only made things worse. It's also remarkable to see how blind people can be, willing to believe just any bullshit that they are forcefed by the media, the police and prosecutors, not realizing that these are just puppets of a corrupt system, where money is the only value, and public "information" is subject to selection based on sensationalism and sellingpoints for selling single copies. And what could be more commercially hard-hitting than a "Satanic murder"?!

Denying the crime, they were in 1998 sentenced to 10 years prison. Jon was besides being sentenced for assistance in the shooting also convicted for illegal possession of firearms.

Jon's comments
"To all those brainwashed, ignorant fools condemning the killing and stating their opinions concerning me or Vlad, I just want to say; Fuck you! Who are you to judge anyone?!"

Also, Faust was only 16 when he commited his crime. If he had been dragged through the United States judicial system, he may have been charged as a juvenile. However, he would more likely been charged with a "hate crime" and been sentenced for life. Who knows.

"Jon was besides being sentenced for assistance in the shooting also convicted for illegal possession of firearms."

I was right.. :)

Heh, I read that lengthy article about it all around a week or so ago. While some of that is obviously true, I doubt the sincerity of some of the minor details, given that the author or the webpage (as you can tell from that article and the remainder of his/her site) was very much against the sentence handed out to the pair.

I guess it's irrelevant, we all know that Jon did play some part in the murder of the man, and he's already served the majority of his sentence, so the only thing that really matters now is how Jon will go about rescuing Dissection...

I never knew Dissection was so into Satanism. I never actually thought they were truly into Satanism. I love Storm Of The Light's Bane, and Somberlain was pretty good too, but damn... I'm not into Satanism and am actually quite open about my agnostic stance, and i'll admit, i do have a tendency to let my personal beliefs prevent me from getting into a band with the opposite beliefs,as long as I know their beliefs are genuine and just just for show and i'm sure i'm not the only one, but while listening to Storm Of The Light's Bane, i'm trying my hardest for that to not happen, because I love the music so much. And I guess i'm looking more and more like a close-minded asshole, but really, why associate yourself with something you don't agree with, even if it's music? For the record, yes, i do think Satanism is BS and personally, I can't see why anyone would want to affiliate themselves with something so rediculous and insipid, but that's just me, I guess.

And I think that Jon would like it better if people who don't like his satanism and all that comes with it stayed away from Dissection. I could be wrong, though.

From a personal standpoint, the beliefs of the band and the image they market mean very little, and I'll listen to their music if I enjoy the sound, as is a common line of thought around here.

However, in response to Wicked, though I can understand why you'd want to keep listening to SotLB, (I love it as well) I respect you for being vocal about your beliefs, and also think you should act in whichever way suits you.

It's not the biggest decision you'll ever being forced to make, but if you honestly can not bare the subtle "satanic" implications being made on the album then I think you should really give it up. If you couldn't grasp, I don't at all think of you as a close-minded asshole or some-such, even though I'm relatively new around these parts...