Dissection Production

Fieryfrets

New Metal Member
Jun 24, 2008
Hi Dan,

I know you have probably received this question about 1000 times before in a million different threads and I don't mean to be digging up the past but I really like the work you did on The Somberlain.

Did you use many effects on Jon's voice or was there any specific mic technique or choice used? because it sounds so natural and present yet it has a very eerie spacy feel to it that just sits in the mix.

I was thinking of going for a similar sound in a project I am doing.

I understand how busy you are but I thought I might try my luck.:kickass:

Hi there

I don´t remember!! In those days I just tweaked stuff until it sounded right...I think I might have used an AKG C1000, because it was the best mic I had at the time. Probably run it thru the console (old Yamaha PA thing) and a Yamaha GC2020 compressor. And probably tons of EQ and lots of reverb!!!

Good luck!!! :)

D

Wow thanks Dan for the quick response, I shouldn't underestimate budget gear! great compositions, great engineering and lots of tweaking:loco:

Sorry Dan,

I thought I would just add one more question about this type of production.

What kind of mic would you go for to archieve a similar sound for a black metal vocalist (with a style close to jon's vocals) with all the options you have nowadays? This is for a recording purpose of course.

Just curious! :p

well there are a lot of mics available. most mics will do, but if you really want a killer black metal sound you obviously have to run it through a valnøtt pedal. instant BM!

The production on Storm Of The Lights Bane is ace,the only complaint i have is that i think the vocals are a bit too high in the mix.